overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bu11zeye (11940) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - SEP 20, 2011
(750ml bottle, courtesy of JJFoodie) Pours a clear golden body with a medium white head. Aroma of florals, caramel, honey, and lemon. Flavor of florals, bread, fruit, honey, and spices.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thirdeye11 (5536) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 12, 2011
(750ml bottle thanks to JJFoodie) clear gold with fine white bubbles. Nose of soap, roses, honey, spices and a bit of umami. Taste of cherry, honey, rose, florals, soap, and cinnamon. Weird floral/fruity linger. An odd but very unique beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MadIndian (2365) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Gold/ orange pour with an aroma of floral, earth, honey and spice. Flavor matches the aroma, but with a herbal, vanilla, yeasty taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
oteyj (2130) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Thanks Jeff! This beer is pretty crazy- pours like fruity nectar with rose petals and mead in the nose, culminating with some sweet grassy herbals and light fruits. Very syrupy texture with low carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cavie (3785) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUL 30, 2011
Big thanks to jjfoodie for this one! Very pleased to see this. Pours a very clear light orange color with a foamy ring of bubbles. The aroma is very supple. Lovely floral rose petals with some sweet spice. Very soft smelling indeed. Flavor is cinnamon, sweet floral notes, light grain and spice. Very tasty!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1157) - Albany, New York, USA - JUL 26, 2011
When two titans of an industry team up the result is, ideally, something amazing. But what happens when the result is something thatís only okay? Thatís how I feel about Savor Flowers - an experimental beer devised by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Jim Koch of Samuel Adams. The hook to this beer is that itís brewed with rosewater instead of regular water. The end result is a beer that is a sweet syrup bomb of honey and ginger with some floral characteristics. Originally and tasty to be sure, but nothing Earth-shattering.

I split a 750ml corked bottle with a friend (thanks, Brett!)

Appearance: Dark honey/orange color - mostly transparent with slight haziness. Forms a small, yellow, sudsy head which evaporates quickly and cleanly.

Smell: As soon as we popped the cork the ginger aroma began to fill the area. Like ginger snap Christmas cookies itís very sweet, spicy and bready. Honey is also quite prominent in the nose as well as an earthy, flowery backbone like a mťlange of every plant in a greenhouse.

Taste: Iíve often said I have a sweet tooth, so I often find myself enjoying beers with infused flavored palates of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or fruit. But Savor Flowers is a different type of sweetness - massive ginger syrup and honey tea followed by vanilla flowers and spiced rum. Even at fridge temp itís robust as hell - like stuffing your entire mouth with as many lollipops and suckers as you could fit.

Not that this is repulsive in and of itself - just something that takes getting used to. After having reviewed over 500 beers in the last three years Iíve honestly never encoutered a palate like this before. I do enjoy its uniqueness and appreciate the balancing it accomplishes of all-natural sweetness and spice. As it warms it leans more towards the sweet side, becoming richer and cloying and difficult to drink. By the time I finished my glass I really had to think about just how much I liked it.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy at first, like freshly-poured soda. Eventually becomes quite tepid but still imparts a warmth despite being quite thin.

Drinkability: What keeps this beer from contending for any type of Hall of Fame status is the fact itís a challenge to get through. The sweetness is so intense, coupled with rum-like spice that itís a sipper, even at cooler temperatures. The 10% ABV is buried under the genuine palate, although there is some warmth and dryness on the finish and aftertaste. A beer where one modest serving is more than enough.

Overall, Savor Flowers is an interesting beer and definitely worth the experience for those looking for something new. Just donít assume itís going to blow your mind because of who made it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (4854) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2011
Bottle shared by a friend. Clear amber pour with a thin off-white head. Malty sweet nose with herbs and spices (sage? cardamom? hell, I donít know). Flavor of sage, honey, malt and more honey before a surprisingly semi-dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SudsMcDuff (5806) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUL 25, 2011
Was interested when i first read about this, and to see it in front of my eyes, woo! .. . so damn pure and enjoyable.. . honey, daisy, roses, and other exotic flowers.. amazingly complex and very enjoyable, and it shows just how awesome some brewers are with what they can do to beer!.. . get your hands off me you geriatric lush...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thome50 (1018) - Boringville aka Irvine, California, USA - JUL 15, 2011
Bottle courtesy a trade on the other site. Pours a frothy orange amber color with white head. The aroma is a California cliff top over looking the Pacific with white sage growing wild all around you. This is what the summer smells like. The rose water is there but sage and sweet come through like nothing else. The beer doesnít taste a great deal like sage, more rosemary and cinnamon. The sweetness is there but then you get the nice malt finish and just the perfect amount of carbonation. Yes, this is a beer unlike any other. Yes, it has a lot of weird shit in it. That said this is overall a very nice beer that I would love to have again next summer. Glad I was able to taste it and share it with some friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mora2000 (5650) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2011
Thanks to jjfoodie for sharing this beer. The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a whit head. The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of rose water as well as some great floral and herbal notes. The aroma is fairly sweet. The flavor is more complex and better than the aroma. I get a lot of rose water and floral aspects, as well as some cinnamon and nutmeg. As I drink more, I pick out some caramel malt and chocolate notes as well as some herbal notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. After drinking the beer I saw that a lot of people didnít care for it. The only thing I know is that I really dug it and was happy that I was able to kill the last 4 or 5 ounces after the tasting was complete. I doubt I will get to try this beer again, but I would definitely love to.