overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Indra (2604) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 10, 2011
750ml bottle, courtesy of JB, cheers to him. This was very interesting. The nose was both sweet and intensely flowery, with real honey notes rising from the intense rose perfume, and a certain peppery spice in the background. Mostly clear golden orange in color, the head fading away entirely. Flavor is also very strongly flowery and sweet, with a certain spiciness and gentle warmth in the background. Lightly sticky and low in effervescence, body is medium-full. Rather mead-like, in several aspects. Very glad I only had a couple ounces of this, any more would have been too much for me to deal with, for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blutt59 (6004) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 9, 2011
bottled, thanks to jjfoodie, clear orange with no head , aroma has some spice and fruit flavor reminds me of french toast and fruit salad

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Bottle shared by Ed Roberts, thanks a ton for this rare gem. Aroma has a lot of floral hints to it mixed with honey. The flavor is pretty sweet with hints of honey and sweet malt. One of the most different beers Iíve had in a long time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
nearbeer (3660) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2013 750 ml shared by my sister and bro-in-law, who brought it back from the event. Look is clear, golden orange with a small head. Nose is spicy honey and floral pollens. Flavor is the same with some mellow citrus-grassy hop bitterness, and maybe a touch of oak. Medium body is smooth and way too sweet, but hides the abv well. Re-rated with aged bottle 8-16-2013: the aging smoothed the carbonation a bit but seemed to only compound the floral honey-spicy sweetness which was the main distraction. OK, but glad I didnít pay the hefty entry fee to the event for this hyped-up crap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Thorpe429 (5012) - , Illinois, USA - JUN 17, 2011
Bottle graciously given to me for being a SAVOR attendee. Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thanks to drabmuh for this abomination. Going to add this as a gruit. Who knows what it is, other than the fact that it uses a lot of weird "stuff." Pours a pinkish-copper color with a thin white head and a bit of spotty lacing on the way down. Nose is floral. Really floral. Quite a few flowers there. Also oddly bready. Lots of stale bread. weird. The flavor falls off the deep end. Yuck. Loads and loads of florals plus some stale bread. Really not tasty. Not getting any of the barrel character. Instead, I get what is apparently rose water. Does that taste good? No, it does not. Medium body with average carbonation. Dry finish and quite floral throughout. Not a good beer. Experiment gone wrong. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 06-05-2011

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sloth (2464) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - JUN 14, 2011
Thin white head with good retention and some slim lace. Clear copper amber hued brew. Nose is just floral, roses, lavender and maybe a touch spicey. Body is medium, soft carbonation, a little oily. Lotsa flowery flavors as in the aroma with some honey and earthy notes. Not gettin the barrel aging myself. Finish is fairly dry and some heat starts coming on. A neat beer. Not something you,d want alot of for sure but still interesting enough. Bottle shared by my friend, Jon. Thanks dude!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ben4321 (3846) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 12, 2011
Location: 750 ml bottle shared by jcos, 6/12/11

Aroma: Has a very floral nose, so much so its hard to pick out anything else. Feels like youíre sitting in a garden every time you take a whiff. Otherwise, maybe a touch of spice, but the rose water dominates.
Appearance: Pours a clear golden-orange color with an inch of lasting white head and sticky lace
Flavor: Taste is also dominated by flowers, but you get some eventual spice and hop notes too
Palate: Medium bodied, tingly mouthfeel, heat is rather well hidden, it doesnít drink close to its abv
Overall Impression: Iím glad I got to try this one, and Iím glad I donít have a rose allergy, because if I did I think this one could have made me break out in hives. I can honestly say that I cannot think of another beer that is anything like this one, it is truly unique, that is for sure. It is kind of difficult to score this one, because of how unique it is, and the mixed feeling that develop while Iím drinking it, but ultimately I found it to be a little more developed in flavor than it is in aroma, and overall, I found it fairly enjoyable. This one may not be for everyone, and it may not be something Iíd want to drink everyday, but ultimately, I think it works pretty well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jcos (1522) - Maryland, USA - JUN 12, 2011
Bottle returned successfully from SAVOR 2011(ie, I was drunk from SAVOR and had to carry the bottle home without a bag on the DC Metro). Pours a clear redish-copper, with a little bit of bubbles. Aroma is very high on being floral from the rose petal water, maybe a hint of sweetness. Taste is of light hop, a ton of the rose petals(which is an interesting taste for a beer), a little bit of spice maybe from the oak barrels. Medium body, slightly thick texture, average carbonation. A very interesting, one of a time beer I get to split with Ben4321. I didnít realize this beer is 10% at all. We are both sitting here rating this, I wonder how similar or different the ratings are.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
radagast83 (4524) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2011
Iím two minds about this. Itís ambitious and a little arrogant to brew this beer the way they did. The choice of using Rose Water is a curious one, and even with that said I wasnít exactly prepared for the aroma and flavors that the beer produced.

I was lucky enough to have a sample poured from a bottle at the Sam Adams table during SAVOR. The color was a caramel one, with a small, bubbly head that dissipated. Aromas were woody, a touch oak, but it was mostly the floral bouquet that hit me real hard. I kind of described it to a friend like smelling a perfume that you also just happened to get a tad in your mouth. That might not sound pleasant, but the beer intrigued me enough that I really enjoyed it.

I give it an A for originality, and perhaps a B for execution. The 10% ABV was absolutely hidden. I am really curious how this one will mellow out over time, but I suspect itíll be consumed by the end of the year.