overall

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1225) - Albany, New York, USA - JUL 26, 2011
When two titans of an industry team up the result is, ideally, something amazing. But what happens when the result is something thatís only okay? Thatís how I feel about Savor Flowers - an experimental beer devised by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Jim Koch of Samuel Adams. The hook to this beer is that itís brewed with rosewater instead of regular water. The end result is a beer that is a sweet syrup bomb of honey and ginger with some floral characteristics. Originally and tasty to be sure, but nothing Earth-shattering.

I split a 750ml corked bottle with a friend (thanks, Brett!)

Appearance: Dark honey/orange color - mostly transparent with slight haziness. Forms a small, yellow, sudsy head which evaporates quickly and cleanly.

Smell: As soon as we popped the cork the ginger aroma began to fill the area. Like ginger snap Christmas cookies itís very sweet, spicy and bready. Honey is also quite prominent in the nose as well as an earthy, flowery backbone like a mťlange of every plant in a greenhouse.

Taste: Iíve often said I have a sweet tooth, so I often find myself enjoying beers with infused flavored palates of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or fruit. But Savor Flowers is a different type of sweetness - massive ginger syrup and honey tea followed by vanilla flowers and spiced rum. Even at fridge temp itís robust as hell - like stuffing your entire mouth with as many lollipops and suckers as you could fit.

Not that this is repulsive in and of itself - just something that takes getting used to. After having reviewed over 500 beers in the last three years Iíve honestly never encoutered a palate like this before. I do enjoy its uniqueness and appreciate the balancing it accomplishes of all-natural sweetness and spice. As it warms it leans more towards the sweet side, becoming richer and cloying and difficult to drink. By the time I finished my glass I really had to think about just how much I liked it.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy at first, like freshly-poured soda. Eventually becomes quite tepid but still imparts a warmth despite being quite thin.

Drinkability: What keeps this beer from contending for any type of Hall of Fame status is the fact itís a challenge to get through. The sweetness is so intense, coupled with rum-like spice that itís a sipper, even at cooler temperatures. The 10% ABV is buried under the genuine palate, although there is some warmth and dryness on the finish and aftertaste. A beer where one modest serving is more than enough.

Overall, Savor Flowers is an interesting beer and definitely worth the experience for those looking for something new. Just donít assume itís going to blow your mind because of who made it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (4983) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2011
Bottle shared by a friend. Clear amber pour with a thin off-white head. Malty sweet nose with herbs and spices (sage? cardamom? hell, I donít know). Flavor of sage, honey, malt and more honey before a surprisingly semi-dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SudsMcDuff (5918) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUL 25, 2011
Was interested when i first read about this, and to see it in front of my eyes, woo! .. . so damn pure and enjoyable.. . honey, daisy, roses, and other exotic flowers.. amazingly complex and very enjoyable, and it shows just how awesome some brewers are with what they can do to beer!.. . get your hands off me you geriatric lush...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thome50 (1064) - Morro Bay via Orange County, California, USA - JUL 15, 2011
Bottle courtesy a trade on the other site. Pours a frothy orange amber color with white head. The aroma is a California cliff top over looking the Pacific with white sage growing wild all around you. This is what the summer smells like. The rose water is there but sage and sweet come through like nothing else. The beer doesnít taste a great deal like sage, more rosemary and cinnamon. The sweetness is there but then you get the nice malt finish and just the perfect amount of carbonation. Yes, this is a beer unlike any other. Yes, it has a lot of weird shit in it. That said this is overall a very nice beer that I would love to have again next summer. Glad I was able to taste it and share it with some friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mora2000 (5834) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2011
Thanks to jjfoodie for sharing this beer. The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a whit head. The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of rose water as well as some great floral and herbal notes. The aroma is fairly sweet. The flavor is more complex and better than the aroma. I get a lot of rose water and floral aspects, as well as some cinnamon and nutmeg. As I drink more, I pick out some caramel malt and chocolate notes as well as some herbal notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. After drinking the beer I saw that a lot of people didnít care for it. The only thing I know is that I really dug it and was happy that I was able to kill the last 4 or 5 ounces after the tasting was complete. I doubt I will get to try this beer again, but I would definitely love to.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Indra (2641) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 10, 2011
750ml bottle, courtesy of JB, cheers to him. This was very interesting. The nose was both sweet and intensely flowery, with real honey notes rising from the intense rose perfume, and a certain peppery spice in the background. Mostly clear golden orange in color, the head fading away entirely. Flavor is also very strongly flowery and sweet, with a certain spiciness and gentle warmth in the background. Lightly sticky and low in effervescence, body is medium-full. Rather mead-like, in several aspects. Very glad I only had a couple ounces of this, any more would have been too much for me to deal with, for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blutt59 (6028) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 9, 2011
bottled, thanks to jjfoodie, clear orange with no head , aroma has some spice and fruit flavor reminds me of french toast and fruit salad

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Bottle shared by Ed Roberts, thanks a ton for this rare gem. Aroma has a lot of floral hints to it mixed with honey. The flavor is pretty sweet with hints of honey and sweet malt. One of the most different beers Iíve had in a long time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
nearbeer (3813) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2013 750 ml shared by my sister and bro-in-law, who brought it back from the event. Look is clear, golden orange with a small head. Nose is spicy honey and floral pollens. Flavor is the same with some mellow citrus-grassy hop bitterness, and maybe a touch of oak. Medium body is smooth and way too sweet, but hides the abv well. Re-rated with aged bottle 8-16-2013: the aging smoothed the carbonation a bit but seemed to only compound the floral honey-spicy sweetness which was the main distraction. OK, but glad I didnít pay the hefty entry fee to the event for this hyped-up crap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Thorpe429 (5011) - , Illinois, USA - JUN 17, 2011
Bottle graciously given to me for being a SAVOR attendee. Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thanks to drabmuh for this abomination. Going to add this as a gruit. Who knows what it is, other than the fact that it uses a lot of weird "stuff." Pours a pinkish-copper color with a thin white head and a bit of spotty lacing on the way down. Nose is floral. Really floral. Quite a few flowers there. Also oddly bready. Lots of stale bread. weird. The flavor falls off the deep end. Yuck. Loads and loads of florals plus some stale bread. Really not tasty. Not getting any of the barrel character. Instead, I get what is apparently rose water. Does that taste good? No, it does not. Medium body with average carbonation. Dry finish and quite floral throughout. Not a good beer. Experiment gone wrong. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 06-05-2011