overall

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (4995) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2011
Bottle shared by a friend. Clear amber pour with a thin off-white head. Malty sweet nose with herbs and spices (sage? cardamom? hell, I donít know). Flavor of sage, honey, malt and more honey before a surprisingly semi-dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mar (4959) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 16, 2012
Bottle thanks to jjfoodie. Amber with a cream head. Nose is toffee, caramel, malty, and dried fruits. Nice palate, heavy toffee, very sweet, florals, and sticky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Boutip (4852) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 1, 2012
Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with a medium size foamy white head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a very weird mix between some overly sweet notes with loads of flowers notes (kind alike hibiscus) with some oak and liquorish notes. The aroma was definitely too strong at first and I almost though I would have to drain pour this one. Taste is an interesting mix between some sweet malt notes with light candy like flavours and notes of flowers (not as strong as hibiscus but in the same realm) with light oak and liquor notes. Body is about average with an oily texture with medium carbonation and light warming alcohol notes. Well brewed with good level of complexity, a tad less sweetness would have been welcome and this one would be a good candidate for letting bread a bit before drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ben4321 (4092) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 12, 2011
Location: 750 ml bottle shared by jcos, 6/12/11

Aroma: Has a very floral nose, so much so its hard to pick out anything else. Feels like youíre sitting in a garden every time you take a whiff. Otherwise, maybe a touch of spice, but the rose water dominates.
Appearance: Pours a clear golden-orange color with an inch of lasting white head and sticky lace
Flavor: Taste is also dominated by flowers, but you get some eventual spice and hop notes too
Palate: Medium bodied, tingly mouthfeel, heat is rather well hidden, it doesnít drink close to its abv
Overall Impression: Iím glad I got to try this one, and Iím glad I donít have a rose allergy, because if I did I think this one could have made me break out in hives. I can honestly say that I cannot think of another beer that is anything like this one, it is truly unique, that is for sure. It is kind of difficult to score this one, because of how unique it is, and the mixed feeling that develop while Iím drinking it, but ultimately I found it to be a little more developed in flavor than it is in aroma, and overall, I found it fairly enjoyable. This one may not be for everyone, and it may not be something Iíd want to drink everyday, but ultimately, I think it works pretty well.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
obguthr (4070) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2013
Slutfest 2013: Ginger and chamomile nose. Cloudy amber, thick yellow head. Lemon, ginger, and honey flavor. Neat, exceptionally well crafted and executed. Iíd love to have an entire bottle of this to deconstruct at my leisure. My impression, based on a small sample, is this one damn fine beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Butters (3843) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2013
Sampled at Slutfest 4 - Sexytime! THANK YOU SO MUCH STERLING AND DOUGLAS. Clear golden pour with small head clearish head. Smells like roses honeysuckle and ginger. Flavor of ginger root if the most pervasive. Very much like a mead. Really enjoyed this. Such a great floral combination.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
nearbeer (3840) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2013 750 ml shared by my sister and bro-in-law, who brought it back from the event. Look is clear, golden orange with a small head. Nose is spicy honey and floral pollens. Flavor is the same with some mellow citrus-grassy hop bitterness, and maybe a touch of oak. Medium body is smooth and way too sweet, but hides the abv well. Re-rated with aged bottle 8-16-2013: the aging smoothed the carbonation a bit but seemed to only compound the floral honey-spicy sweetness which was the main distraction. OK, but glad I didnít pay the hefty entry fee to the event for this hyped-up crap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cavie (3839) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUL 30, 2011
Big thanks to jjfoodie for this one! Very pleased to see this. Pours a very clear light orange color with a foamy ring of bubbles. The aroma is very supple. Lovely floral rose petals with some sweet spice. Very soft smelling indeed. Flavor is cinnamon, sweet floral notes, light grain and spice. Very tasty!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 1, 2014
On 06/18/2011. Clear golden body with a small frothy white head. Sweet rose aroma with caramel and floral hops. Sweet rose, caramel, citrus and toffee flavor with lots of spice. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
jrallen34 (3483) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2011
bottle... another terrible Sam Adams beer, shocking... this smells and tastes like sun tan lotion, tons of aloe, drinking it almost makes me gag, HORRENDOUS