overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TXBadger (1354) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2014
This one just had way too much floral/flowery notes on it. Pretty much just all floral without much else. Very hard to drink much of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1164) - Albany, New York, USA - JUL 26, 2011
When two titans of an industry team up the result is, ideally, something amazing. But what happens when the result is something thatís only okay? Thatís how I feel about Savor Flowers - an experimental beer devised by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Jim Koch of Samuel Adams. The hook to this beer is that itís brewed with rosewater instead of regular water. The end result is a beer that is a sweet syrup bomb of honey and ginger with some floral characteristics. Originally and tasty to be sure, but nothing Earth-shattering.

I split a 750ml corked bottle with a friend (thanks, Brett!)

Appearance: Dark honey/orange color - mostly transparent with slight haziness. Forms a small, yellow, sudsy head which evaporates quickly and cleanly.

Smell: As soon as we popped the cork the ginger aroma began to fill the area. Like ginger snap Christmas cookies itís very sweet, spicy and bready. Honey is also quite prominent in the nose as well as an earthy, flowery backbone like a mťlange of every plant in a greenhouse.

Taste: Iíve often said I have a sweet tooth, so I often find myself enjoying beers with infused flavored palates of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or fruit. But Savor Flowers is a different type of sweetness - massive ginger syrup and honey tea followed by vanilla flowers and spiced rum. Even at fridge temp itís robust as hell - like stuffing your entire mouth with as many lollipops and suckers as you could fit.

Not that this is repulsive in and of itself - just something that takes getting used to. After having reviewed over 500 beers in the last three years Iíve honestly never encoutered a palate like this before. I do enjoy its uniqueness and appreciate the balancing it accomplishes of all-natural sweetness and spice. As it warms it leans more towards the sweet side, becoming richer and cloying and difficult to drink. By the time I finished my glass I really had to think about just how much I liked it.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy at first, like freshly-poured soda. Eventually becomes quite tepid but still imparts a warmth despite being quite thin.

Drinkability: What keeps this beer from contending for any type of Hall of Fame status is the fact itís a challenge to get through. The sweetness is so intense, coupled with rum-like spice that itís a sipper, even at cooler temperatures. The 10% ABV is buried under the genuine palate, although there is some warmth and dryness on the finish and aftertaste. A beer where one modest serving is more than enough.

Overall, Savor Flowers is an interesting beer and definitely worth the experience for those looking for something new. Just donít assume itís going to blow your mind because of who made it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jayb0 (1024) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - FEB 28, 2012
Nice packaging, interesting and hard to get beer. The flowers are not light and floral, they are thick, nectary, sweet. This is a dessert almost. Aroma like an orchid farm. Good stuff, not something to quaff heavily, something to, well, savor. Thanks holdwine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thome50 (1022) - Boringville aka Irvine, California, USA - JUL 15, 2011
Bottle courtesy a trade on the other site. Pours a frothy orange amber color with white head. The aroma is a California cliff top over looking the Pacific with white sage growing wild all around you. This is what the summer smells like. The rose water is there but sage and sweet come through like nothing else. The beer doesnít taste a great deal like sage, more rosemary and cinnamon. The sweetness is there but then you get the nice malt finish and just the perfect amount of carbonation. Yes, this is a beer unlike any other. Yes, it has a lot of weird shit in it. That said this is overall a very nice beer that I would love to have again next summer. Glad I was able to taste it and share it with some friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jbeatty (1020) - New York, USA - JUL 30, 2013
Backlog review, bottle obtained at SAVOR and tasted 07/07/2011. Pours translucent dark orange, little head and almost no lacing/residual foam. Aroma is quite floral- reminds me of hyacinth, jasmine - with honey, ginger notes. Taste is strong rose water, sweet malty character, finishing with spicy ginger, alcohol noticeable, subtle barrel character. Medium body, round and light in the mouth. The ginger character reminds me of DFH Pangaea. Unique for sure, and while not my favorite, glad to have tried.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emeister84 (954) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2013
Ginger, wild flowers, fresh-cut grass, honey, and lemon aromas. Clear gold with a lasting, white head. Sweet, tart, fruity, and floral. Medium body, high carbonation, smooth, a little spicy, and sweet in the finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
orangesol (699) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2012
"Thanks" to Bmoyer0301 for bringing this one to our IPA day celebration. I was intrigued to try this one, oh boy was I let down. A - Pours clear pinkish orange with a small one finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving very light lace down the glass. S - Smells of TONS of flowers, honey, and herbs. Maybe a little tea creeps in as it warms but this one is really all about the flowers it seems. T - Here is where we start to go WAY down hill. Starts off with some light honey sweetness quickly giving way to a HUGE flower kick that will not go away. Some light herbal qualities try to break the flower blockade but it is no use. The finish is a mix of dryness and even more flowers. M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Pretty dry with tons of flowery feel. Not good at all. O - Well this one was a HUGE letdown. I never really thought it would be great but I at least expected it to be good, not so much. One of the worst beers I have ever had from either SA or Dogfish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2012
Savor pours a dark orange color with basically no head. Small amount of bubbles cling to the sides of the glass. Looks like a flat beer. The smell is full of honey. A nice backbone of earthiness and flowers mixed in. A very unique aroma. Something I donít think Iíve ever come upon before in a beer. In the taste some of the barrel comes through. I really didnít notice in the aroma. Something I also didnít pick up was some spiciness that I do pick up in the taste. The honey is still the number one taste here mixed in with the flowers which show through a lot more. Earthiness and alcohol round out the taste. Definitely a unique taste. Think of flowers and honey steeped in water with some other stuff through in. Itís a beer but it doesnít exactly taste like one. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slick. Goes down nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dabubbleboy (73) - Virginia, USA - DEC 25, 2011
Poured one 750 ml bottle into a tumbler glass. Honey color with a crisp white head. The rose water makes this the most unique beer we have had. Lots of herb aromas like lavender, lemon and honey.