overall

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? Youíve got some sweet tools in your brewerís utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, ďWhere does he get those wonderful toys!?Ē Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam Iím psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sloth (2520) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - JUN 14, 2011
Thin white head with good retention and some slim lace. Clear copper amber hued brew. Nose is just floral, roses, lavender and maybe a touch spicey. Body is medium, soft carbonation, a little oily. Lotsa flowery flavors as in the aroma with some honey and earthy notes. Not gettin the barrel aging myself. Finish is fairly dry and some heat starts coming on. A neat beer. Not something you,d want alot of for sure but still interesting enough. Bottle shared by my friend, Jon. Thanks dude!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Bottle shared by Ed Roberts, thanks a ton for this rare gem. Aroma has a lot of floral hints to it mixed with honey. The flavor is pretty sweet with hints of honey and sweet malt. One of the most different beers Iíve had in a long time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MadIndian (2426) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Gold/ orange pour with an aroma of floral, earth, honey and spice. Flavor matches the aroma, but with a herbal, vanilla, yeasty taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dabubbleboy (73) - Virginia, USA - DEC 25, 2011
Poured one 750 ml bottle into a tumbler glass. Honey color with a crisp white head. The rose water makes this the most unique beer we have had. Lots of herb aromas like lavender, lemon and honey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Boutip (4828) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 1, 2012
Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with a medium size foamy white head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a very weird mix between some overly sweet notes with loads of flowers notes (kind alike hibiscus) with some oak and liquorish notes. The aroma was definitely too strong at first and I almost though I would have to drain pour this one. Taste is an interesting mix between some sweet malt notes with light candy like flavours and notes of flowers (not as strong as hibiscus but in the same realm) with light oak and liquor notes. Body is about average with an oily texture with medium carbonation and light warming alcohol notes. Well brewed with good level of complexity, a tad less sweetness would have been welcome and this one would be a good candidate for letting bread a bit before drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mar (4940) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 16, 2012
Bottle thanks to jjfoodie. Amber with a cream head. Nose is toffee, caramel, malty, and dried fruits. Nice palate, heavy toffee, very sweet, florals, and sticky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
radagast83 (4943) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2011
Iím two minds about this. Itís ambitious and a little arrogant to brew this beer the way they did. The choice of using Rose Water is a curious one, and even with that said I wasnít exactly prepared for the aroma and flavors that the beer produced.

I was lucky enough to have a sample poured from a bottle at the Sam Adams table during SAVOR. The color was a caramel one, with a small, bubbly head that dissipated. Aromas were woody, a touch oak, but it was mostly the floral bouquet that hit me real hard. I kind of described it to a friend like smelling a perfume that you also just happened to get a tad in your mouth. That might not sound pleasant, but the beer intrigued me enough that I really enjoyed it.

I give it an A for originality, and perhaps a B for execution. The 10% ABV was absolutely hidden. I am really curious how this one will mellow out over time, but I suspect itíll be consumed by the end of the year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1227) - Albany, New York, USA - JUL 26, 2011
When two titans of an industry team up the result is, ideally, something amazing. But what happens when the result is something thatís only okay? Thatís how I feel about Savor Flowers - an experimental beer devised by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Jim Koch of Samuel Adams. The hook to this beer is that itís brewed with rosewater instead of regular water. The end result is a beer that is a sweet syrup bomb of honey and ginger with some floral characteristics. Originally and tasty to be sure, but nothing Earth-shattering.

I split a 750ml corked bottle with a friend (thanks, Brett!)

Appearance: Dark honey/orange color - mostly transparent with slight haziness. Forms a small, yellow, sudsy head which evaporates quickly and cleanly.

Smell: As soon as we popped the cork the ginger aroma began to fill the area. Like ginger snap Christmas cookies itís very sweet, spicy and bready. Honey is also quite prominent in the nose as well as an earthy, flowery backbone like a mťlange of every plant in a greenhouse.

Taste: Iíve often said I have a sweet tooth, so I often find myself enjoying beers with infused flavored palates of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or fruit. But Savor Flowers is a different type of sweetness - massive ginger syrup and honey tea followed by vanilla flowers and spiced rum. Even at fridge temp itís robust as hell - like stuffing your entire mouth with as many lollipops and suckers as you could fit.

Not that this is repulsive in and of itself - just something that takes getting used to. After having reviewed over 500 beers in the last three years Iíve honestly never encoutered a palate like this before. I do enjoy its uniqueness and appreciate the balancing it accomplishes of all-natural sweetness and spice. As it warms it leans more towards the sweet side, becoming richer and cloying and difficult to drink. By the time I finished my glass I really had to think about just how much I liked it.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy at first, like freshly-poured soda. Eventually becomes quite tepid but still imparts a warmth despite being quite thin.

Drinkability: What keeps this beer from contending for any type of Hall of Fame status is the fact itís a challenge to get through. The sweetness is so intense, coupled with rum-like spice that itís a sipper, even at cooler temperatures. The 10% ABV is buried under the genuine palate, although there is some warmth and dryness on the finish and aftertaste. A beer where one modest serving is more than enough.

Overall, Savor Flowers is an interesting beer and definitely worth the experience for those looking for something new. Just donít assume itís going to blow your mind because of who made it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jayb0 (1048) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - FEB 28, 2012
Nice packaging, interesting and hard to get beer. The flowers are not light and floral, they are thick, nectary, sweet. This is a dessert almost. Aroma like an orchid farm. Good stuff, not something to quaff heavily, something to, well, savor. Thanks holdwine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
auerbrau (3177) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 24, 2012
Wacky bottle. Thanks for sharing, Kevin! Muddled floral nose. Distinctly rosy and relatively intense. The flavors are more pungent. Thereís definitely some lilac and lavender sensations over what is noticeably beer. I think itís good that this is a year old, because itís had time for the flowers to settle in and meld. I like the floral flavors, theyíre just a little too intense overall and Iím grateful that this isnít punishingly sweet. Interesting, but a bit messy.