overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? You’ve got some sweet tools in your brewer’s utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, “Where does he get those wonderful toys!?” Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam I’m psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
nearbeer (3675) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 18, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2013 750 ml shared by my sister and bro-in-law, who brought it back from the event. Look is clear, golden orange with a small head. Nose is spicy honey and floral pollens. Flavor is the same with some mellow citrus-grassy hop bitterness, and maybe a touch of oak. Medium body is smooth and way too sweet, but hides the abv well. Re-rated with aged bottle 8-16-2013: the aging smoothed the carbonation a bit but seemed to only compound the floral honey-spicy sweetness which was the main distraction. OK, but glad I didn’t pay the hefty entry fee to the event for this hyped-up crap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Indra (2607) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 10, 2011
750ml bottle, courtesy of JB, cheers to him. This was very interesting. The nose was both sweet and intensely flowery, with real honey notes rising from the intense rose perfume, and a certain peppery spice in the background. Mostly clear golden orange in color, the head fading away entirely. Flavor is also very strongly flowery and sweet, with a certain spiciness and gentle warmth in the background. Lightly sticky and low in effervescence, body is medium-full. Rather mead-like, in several aspects. Very glad I only had a couple ounces of this, any more would have been too much for me to deal with, for sure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thirdeye11 (5537) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 12, 2011
(750ml bottle thanks to JJFoodie) clear gold with fine white bubbles. Nose of soap, roses, honey, spices and a bit of umami. Taste of cherry, honey, rose, florals, soap, and cinnamon. Weird floral/fruity linger. An odd but very unique beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dfonorow (1414) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 5, 2011
Thanks for the bottle Chuck! Pour is golden yellow with a slight haze. Small, finger-wide head. Initial aroma is of herbal remedy, lemons, and some slight sweetness. Flavor is weird at first - earth, spice, soap, and yeast. Flavor and texture get much better as it warms though - sweeter with hints of honey, roses, and spice. My advice is if have this, serve at 55 - 60 degrees, no colder.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Thorpe429 (5012) - , Illinois, USA - JUN 17, 2011
Bottle graciously given to me for being a SAVOR attendee. Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thanks to drabmuh for this abomination. Going to add this as a gruit. Who knows what it is, other than the fact that it uses a lot of weird "stuff." Pours a pinkish-copper color with a thin white head and a bit of spotty lacing on the way down. Nose is floral. Really floral. Quite a few flowers there. Also oddly bready. Lots of stale bread. weird. The flavor falls off the deep end. Yuck. Loads and loads of florals plus some stale bread. Really not tasty. Not getting any of the barrel character. Instead, I get what is apparently rose water. Does that taste good? No, it does not. Medium body with average carbonation. Dry finish and quite floral throughout. Not a good beer. Experiment gone wrong. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 06-05-2011

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
orangesol (687) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2012
"Thanks" to Bmoyer0301 for bringing this one to our IPA day celebration. I was intrigued to try this one, oh boy was I let down. A - Pours clear pinkish orange with a small one finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving very light lace down the glass. S - Smells of TONS of flowers, honey, and herbs. Maybe a little tea creeps in as it warms but this one is really all about the flowers it seems. T - Here is where we start to go WAY down hill. Starts off with some light honey sweetness quickly giving way to a HUGE flower kick that will not go away. Some light herbal qualities try to break the flower blockade but it is no use. The finish is a mix of dryness and even more flowers. M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Pretty dry with tons of flowery feel. Not good at all. O - Well this one was a HUGE letdown. I never really thought it would be great but I at least expected it to be good, not so much. One of the worst beers I have ever had from either SA or Dogfish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Huhzubendah (2496) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 13, 2012
Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt! The consensus on this one is pinkish copper, so I’ll go with that. Very little head. I did in fact note that it was one of the clearest beers of the evening. Anyhow... It’s all downhill from here. The aroma was odd, and definitely set off a few alarms, but also offered a bouquet of pleasant and interesting scents, to include flowers, hops, sweet herbs, lavender, tea, etc. I agree with Mike that this is a gruit. The flavor is just overbearing. A runaway train packed with flowers and herbs. It’s as if you were on your first date and said: "You want flowers?!? I got your damn flowers right here. Now take ’em!" A bit inappropriate, like this beer. Brewed exclusively with rosewater, I am told. Not a good idea. Edison would be proud, as Sam Adams definitely found something that does NOT work. Sickeningly sweet and instantly cloying. This could be a good beer, as there are some nice flavors behind the onslaught of herbs, flowers, and rosewater flavors. Sometimes, less is more. Overall, not a repeat for me. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-11-2011

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TXBadger (1342) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2014
This one just had way too much floral/flowery notes on it. Pretty much just all floral without much else. Very hard to drink much of this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
jrallen34 (3478) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2011
bottle... another terrible Sam Adams beer, shocking... this smells and tastes like sun tan lotion, tons of aloe, drinking it almost makes me gag, HORRENDOUS