overall

RATINGS: 254   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.63   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TheHopster (830) - Netcong, New Jersey, USA - DEC 22, 2012
(Can). Pale straw complexion with dissipating fluffy head. Actually leaves lacing on the glass. The flavor is mild and slightly malty. Best served ice cold. There are many worse pale lagers at twice this bargain price. This is the favored beer of my father-in-law. I’ve had this for years during summertime cookouts and with many memories. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
justabeergeek (225) - Albany, New York, USA - NOV 23, 2012
UPDATED: APR 8, 2013 I should be mowing the lawn! Straight from the can because anything else would be inappropriate. Grass, straw, and water. There’s hops in here somewhere (I think). Sweet, generic, the lawnmower beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
reggiedunlop (3178) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2012
Pours a clear yellow/gold with a large fluffy white head. Aroma of soap and straw. Flavor has straw and a bit of grass...can taste alcohol. Mouthfeel is full and the finish is dry and tastes of bitter alcohol.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
GT2 (8671) - San Diego County, California, USA - JUL 4, 2012
12oz can at Black Jack above Pearl Dive. $2 can. Low carbonation straw pour. Weak head. No formation really and no retention. Very poor. No lace. Nose is dirty freezer, sweet cherry juice box, horse breath. Taste is tangy, sharp, sweeter. More body and less carboardy compared to the Strohs. Headache inducing though. Small DMS and diacetyl come through.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
CanIHave4Beers (3328) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - JUN 29, 2012
A wicked bonus from Sloth from when he sent me the Maryland’s Best.

Pours a pale golden color with the most fluffy, white, well retained, and respectable heads I’ve ever seen on a pale lager.

The aroma is sort of generically "beery" in the "its 1987 and my parents are drinking beer" kind of way. Some bread doughiness, a little grain, some alcohol, far from offensive... but it doesn’t smell great or anything.

The flavor is a little cidery, some breakfast cereal in there for sure, a light hop zippiness is present as well. The beer has some noticeable alcohol and corn.

Tastes pretty much exactly as I expected it to, so that’s pretty great.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
grundsow (86) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2012
Avoided it for years due to stigma, only to discover recently that for a cheap beer it has a really good taste, time and again. Better than Budweiser or Miller. Great beer for a holiday weekend or to kick back with after cutting firewood, mowing grass, etc.

1.4
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
AdamJackson (2786) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 31, 2012
"Had this with a bunch of friends following a funeral. It was the only beer around. Went well with our cigars. A - Zero appearance. Looks like dirty water. S - A more hoppy PBR but smells like nasty ice cubes T - Citrus, Floral and burnt notes M - Light, highly carbonated with cheap yeast O - This is a beer I’d take on a fishing trip. If I’m not fishing, this beer shouldn’t be in my hand."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Fussman (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 8, 2011 does not count
I like this beer. It is simple and is a perfect thirst quencher on or off the field. The old name is comfortable for nostalgia fans but it still remains a viable, low cost American beer. I recommend for those who aren’t finicky about basic beer. Go for it.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
OldManWinter (18) - Alabama, USA - JUN 25, 2011
aroma: non-existant. Appearance: I did not look at it, it stayed in the can where it belongs; tasts: foul and mettalic; palate: watery and disconcerting; overall - not worth drinking.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
cazort (548) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 12, 2011
It’s hard for me to judge this one, as the nuances between cheap beers are subtle, and I tried this one months after having sampled any other cheep beer. My impression put it several steps up from Natty and Keystone, but it was similar in price. It was drinkable. I would put it several steps down from any number of other mainstream pale lagers, however. Kinda on par with PBR. My intuition is that I would prefer PBR, by a (very) slight amount.