overall

RATINGS: 257   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.62   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - OCT 24, 2001
Smells like puke. This is as far as you can get from a true pilsner like Urquell or Herold.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - OCT 23, 2001
Nothing at all wrong with this classic New York beer. A fine example of an American pilsner. Light, yes - but that’s the kind of beer this is. I find it much better and flavorful than the big boys out of St. Louis or Milwaukee. Schaefer has a nice balance of malt and hops, some grainy flavors from the adjunct corn and/or rice grains, but still not as bland as Bud or Miller products. Shaefer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one! For thos of you who still think the quality of a beer has anything to do with price, I wish you would do a blind taste test between Schaefer and the bland Bud you’re now drinking. I guarantee you’ll prefer the Schaefer. Keep an open mind to cheaper brands like Schaefer, you’re likely to find a diamond in the rough.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2001
I remember this from college. It was bought strictly for the low price. Pretty bad stuff..reminded me of Milwuakee’s Best (which is NOT a good thing).

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
paw99 (6) - statesboro, Georgia, USA - OCT 15, 2001 does not count
Honestly the worst beer I have ever tasted

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
zool (41) - Northampton, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 5, 2001
Make no mistake, this is bad beer, but its bad beer with a great history and tradition. For $1.89 a six, I prefer this to any of the other entry-level beers. Show up at a party with a 12 of Schaefer, and people will remember you...

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2001
Pabst sure has an impressive line up: Schaefer, Stroh’s, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, and oh yeah!! Pabst... eeesch

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Bov (10216) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - SEP 7, 2001

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Rosendale Brewmeister99 (55) - Rosendale, New York, USA - AUG 29, 2001
This was the first beer that I tasted when I was a child. I hated it then, and hate it now!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 28, 2001
schaeffer’s the beer to drink if your drinking more than one. Very cheap, very average and very respectable history behind this beer.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2001
I’ll admit it’s been quite awhile since I’ve had a Schaefer beer. In fact, the last time I had one there was still a Schaefer Brewery in operation. I’ll always remember their jingle,’Shaefer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one’. That wouldn’t go over so hot in today’s PC world. Schaefer was also the ’Beer of the NY Mets’ I believe. Anyway, a pretty bland, non-descript American lager. I,m sure it hasn’t improved much.