overall

RATINGS: 249   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.63   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - AUG 28, 2001
schaeffer’s the beer to drink if your drinking more than one. Very cheap, very average and very respectable history behind this beer.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2001
I’ll admit it’s been quite awhile since I’ve had a Schaefer beer. In fact, the last time I had one there was still a Schaefer Brewery in operation. I’ll always remember their jingle,’Shaefer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one’. That wouldn’t go over so hot in today’s PC world. Schaefer was also the ’Beer of the NY Mets’ I believe. Anyway, a pretty bland, non-descript American lager. I,m sure it hasn’t improved much.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
dins (266) - Texas, USA - AUG 23, 2001

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 1, 2001
This was my old man’s beer of choice when I was a kid. For better or worse, Schaefer is basically what I think of when I hear the term ’beer’ used generically. Realistically, it’s not any worse than any other American megabrew, and maybe a bit better.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Osmin99 (120) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 1, 2001

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
joet (2052) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUN 21, 2001
The epitome of awful. A friend went sailing with the brewer/owner of Schaefer and they drank ’Schaefer Reserve’ which reportedly is good. Boy, would I like to get hold of that!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jpm8920 (152) - Park Ridge, New Jersey, USA - JUN 10, 2001
cheap as hell. just as good as the rest of the american lagers. i’d drink this over bud.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Monahan99 (29) - parkersburg, West Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2001
Ugh. I have bad memories about this beer and its effect on my digestive system.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 7, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2005 Yeah, this is one of America’s oldest. Someone forget to take this dead skunk off of Grandpa’s General Store shelf in 1903. Unlike shitty wine, flat beer does not improve with age.