overall

RATINGS: 252   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.63   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 4, 2009
Can courtesy of dkachur on 06/09/09. Very clear golden yellow body with a large foamy white head. Corn and grain aroma with some honey. Harsh corn and grainy flavor, some faint honey. Medium light body with moderately high carbonation.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Travlr (9999) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUL 24, 2009
My dad knew the brewer, and when I was a teenager, he would throw parties for us and supply his beer, T shirts, and all kinds of party stuff. So I have to give it good marks for "impression" since it shaped my pubescent years. But as an adult I have put away childish things....

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
joeymacaroni (309) - Wagontown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 21, 2009
surprisingly decent. get rid of the metallic taste by pouring it into a tulip glass. pours light straw color, no head after 10 seconds or so... nose is a little sour (could it be hops?!?) and corny maltiness. flavor is light, not unlike corn-flavored seltzer water. This is a pool-side or grass-cutting beer for sure, but it isn’t terrible.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 10, 2009
(Sample Date: 6/9/2009 Source:Other) 12 oz can. Grainy corn and slightly winy aroma. Clear light golden with big rocky white head. Grainy, slightly cardboard like flavor. Very light spicy hop note. Finish is dry and faintly bitter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 5/20
MacFlavour (1) - PUERTO RICO - JUN 29, 2009 does not count
Okay, here is my first rating. Actually, I signed up to submit this rating for the Schaefer can beer. Mind you, I´m truly German. I grew up with beer. My mum´s breasts would feed me beer as a newborn. We would drink beer being kids like American children drink soda. Okay, I´m exegerating a bit. I came to a US of A´s territory some years ago. Naturally, you got all mainstream American beers in the local supermarket. Plus one local one. It doesn´t take one more than a week to have them tried all of them. That is how much choice American beer drinkers enjoy. Okay, there are places here and there with the odd imported beer but in general you are very restricted. Having this in mind, I rate Schaefer as the BEST available mainstream American made beer in my local supermarket. It comes with color and with some taste. There is sweet bitterness, there is alcohol volume, there is something malty in the aftertaste. There´s a bit of everything. Maybe not well executed for the most part, but better than EVERYTHING ELSE brewed in huge volumes in the USA. Does this qualify for a good beer? Hmmm. I think it´s a beer better to have with some food. Or as a party beer. Or the beer you drink on the balcony by yourself when you don´t have real good German Hefeweizen around. Seriously, this beer pleases me for what it is. A smooth and tasty brew for moments that don´t go down int history. Obviously a beer that gets better the more you drink and you still taste some flavour (I´m now on my sixth can straight). The problem with Schaefer: its old guy reputation. Refill it discretely into other bottles before you serve it your friends and then tell them that you got hold of a new German beer at the local drugstore. They´ll love it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ronaldtheriot (1179) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - JUN 15, 2009
Quite a good common-style beer. I always enjoyed this when it was available in Louisiana. I never tried it out of the brown bottle, as it was always only sold in cans, usually 12oz. This is a good choice for those involved in volume drinking. It’s not particularly high in alcohol, and the taste is very mild. Good in a standard beer glass. Nice foamy head. Straw color. A delight. I miss it. RJT

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
SFLpunk (134) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 14, 2009
16oz aluminum can. BB date 06-08-9 on bottom. Appearance: Poured into a .5L willy becker. .5 inch quickly receding white head atop a clear tan-yellow body with tiny and lively bubbles. Nose: Ah, sweet corn. Smells like oxidize wheat beer, if that makes any sense. I presume this is a lager? Palate: Sharp entry with light carbonation and medium- to light-body. There’s some sweetness to it, but it’s kept in check by that crisp sharpness. Light biscuit and corn-on-the-cob, with a hint of hop bitterness on the finish (which is short and unpleasant). Notes: Not a great beer, I gotta say, but not far off from BMC. I’d actually rather drink this than any of the Big Three because there’s less offensive flavors here than in any of the others.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2009
A typical lawnmower beer.Wheat and corn overiding my palate with a slight bitter finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2009
Drank from can while hanging at the Brother In Laws on Easter. He is a non beer person, so, you know. Gotta drink whats available. This beer was okay I suppose. For canoeing, camping, etc...A bit of a skunky taste going on that I didnt really care for, but not horrible

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
BREWMUSKCLES (2191) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 16, 2009
golden with a one bubble stream of bubblus that doesnt quit when poured. golden and dry with a touch of sweetness and a beery taste that our fathers put up with for 30 cents a glass. grain, corn yep and a wisp of hop. it wasn’t bad i guess.