overall

RATINGS: 257   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.62   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
rubbishystuff (1979) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 15, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2015 Had back in college. This is not terribly good. Off smell and off taste. Serving: Can

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Leighton (13535) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 14, 2010
Can. Pours yellow with a fizzy white head, which dissipates quickly. Malty aroma with corn and grain. Similar flavor, with sugary grain dominating. No bitterness to speak of, almost. Light bodied with fizzy carbonation. Finishes short, crisp and clean with some lingering sweetness. Drink this fella quickly and you’re fine. Good stuff.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Bricks (700) - Delaware, USA - JUN 26, 2010
White foamy head, dissipates quickly . Smells of corn and pungent straw-like odor. Slightly bitter, tastes of cheap -- straw with metal.. OK mouthfeel. Not good.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
beernovice39 (3232) - Montana, USA - JUN 13, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 8, 2010 For a detailed review check Otakuden below. Had this back in the day, sadly. One of America’s oldest they say. Also one of our worst.Clear yellowed straw. Tight, white foam. Light carbonation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
blipp (6709) - Newark, New Jersey, USA - OCT 6, 2009
Can. Light gold with a thin head. Corny with lighter notes of straw and a touch of sweetness. This is the beer to have when you’re having more than one right? Yeah, I only had one.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2009
He poured from can into my snifter piss-yellow with a steady eruption of bubbles screaming for escape from their caustic prison. I will give him credit for having a wee bit more of a pronounced nose than the Blatz which is a bit like comparing clean dirt to dirty dirt. His sweet corn-filled seltzer-esque nose reminds me of corn fields in the middle of summer where over-ripe un-picked ears are drooping under the ferocious heat. The first sip is cane sugar and creamy pureed sweet corn kernels. This is supposed to be a beer, right? Thin, spritzy, and lingering none too pleasantly with a bitter metallic aftertaste on the top of my tongue. I’ve tasted enough. The rest of my Schaefer joins his fellow brother, Blatz, in the grassy dirt.

Mm… light yellow fizzy water with a miniscule amount of taste that just happens to have alcohol so all ye who value only a long and head-ache inducing buzz, have at it. Personally, I’d rather treat my senses and my body to an alcoholic beverage with quality ingredients, flavor, diversity, and personality. This is my body after all, and I choose to respect what I put into it. That’s not to say that someone who loves Schaeffer can’t soak every porous inch of his body in it, but really, would you rather dive into a murky, algae-covered, dank swamp? Or a crystal clear ocean that sparkles under brilliant blue skies as tropical fish create rainbows of color before your very eyes?

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 4, 2009
Can courtesy of dkachur on 06/09/09. Very clear golden yellow body with a large foamy white head. Corn and grain aroma with some honey. Harsh corn and grainy flavor, some faint honey. Medium light body with moderately high carbonation.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
joeymacaroni (309) - Wagontown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 21, 2009
surprisingly decent. get rid of the metallic taste by pouring it into a tulip glass. pours light straw color, no head after 10 seconds or so... nose is a little sour (could it be hops?!?) and corny maltiness. flavor is light, not unlike corn-flavored seltzer water. This is a pool-side or grass-cutting beer for sure, but it isn’t terrible.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 10, 2009
(Sample Date: 6/9/2009 Source:Other) 12 oz can. Grainy corn and slightly winy aroma. Clear light golden with big rocky white head. Grainy, slightly cardboard like flavor. Very light spicy hop note. Finish is dry and faintly bitter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 5/20
MacFlavour (1) - PUERTO RICO - JUN 29, 2009 does not count
Okay, here is my first rating. Actually, I signed up to submit this rating for the Schaefer can beer. Mind you, I´m truly German. I grew up with beer. My mum´s breasts would feed me beer as a newborn. We would drink beer being kids like American children drink soda. Okay, I´m exegerating a bit. I came to a US of A´s territory some years ago. Naturally, you got all mainstream American beers in the local supermarket. Plus one local one. It doesn´t take one more than a week to have them tried all of them. That is how much choice American beer drinkers enjoy. Okay, there are places here and there with the odd imported beer but in general you are very restricted. Having this in mind, I rate Schaefer as the BEST available mainstream American made beer in my local supermarket. It comes with color and with some taste. There is sweet bitterness, there is alcohol volume, there is something malty in the aftertaste. There´s a bit of everything. Maybe not well executed for the most part, but better than EVERYTHING ELSE brewed in huge volumes in the USA. Does this qualify for a good beer? Hmmm. I think it´s a beer better to have with some food. Or as a party beer. Or the beer you drink on the balcony by yourself when you don´t have real good German Hefeweizen around. Seriously, this beer pleases me for what it is. A smooth and tasty brew for moments that don´t go down int history. Obviously a beer that gets better the more you drink and you still taste some flavour (I´m now on my sixth can straight). The problem with Schaefer: its old guy reputation. Refill it discretely into other bottles before you serve it your friends and then tell them that you got hold of a new German beer at the local drugstore. They´ll love it.