overall

RATINGS: 254   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.63   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of America’s oldest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TheHopster (788) - Netcong, New Jersey, USA - DEC 22, 2012
(Can). Pale straw complexion with dissipating fluffy head. Actually leaves lacing on the glass. The flavor is mild and slightly malty. Best served ice cold. There are many worse pale lagers at twice this bargain price. This is the favored beer of my father-in-law. I’ve had this for years during summertime cookouts and with many memories. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
garrison (757) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Cheap, cabbage-like skunkiness, and nasty, why does anyone drink this stuff? Oh, yeah... it's cheap!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Tasted from the nastiness that is modern swillish beer served "fresh" from a can. No comment on the aroma since I was too lazy to pour it in a glass (don’t want to contaminate my good beer glasses with the festering much that is typical boorish american piss beer). No initial flavor with a light crappy taste that isn’t offensive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 17, 2006
Very little scent on this one. Just a hint of malt as best as I can tell. Light golden color with very little head. Tastes rather good, albeit a bit watered down. Sweet and light bodied. Just a hint of hops. No off-flavors that I can tell. Very drinkable. I’d prefer craft beer when I can get it, but if I’m cash-strapped, I’d buy this long before any of the big things from BMC (I know Miller now contract-brews this, but still). Not a bad little beer. Inoffensive if nothing else.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 7, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2003 It tastes pretty good, but in 30 minutes you have to make a run for the border, if you know what I mean. Just don't drink any before bed time.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 17, 2002
If all you’ve got is the change from the couch cushions...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
pkbites (674) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 22, 2002
Cheap. But it actually has some bite to it. A little after taste too.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
joebudzjoe (668) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 22, 2008
Ahh Schaefer. Just for kicks I bought a 30 of this stuff and brought it to parties. People were amazed. When you crack one open there is a smooth sweet corn aroma and a similar taste. To be honest, I’ve had much worse, but if you drink more than you can count on one hand, you will be friends with Mr. John the next day. Beautiful can though.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2001
I’ll admit it’s been quite awhile since I’ve had a Schaefer beer. In fact, the last time I had one there was still a Schaefer Brewery in operation. I’ll always remember their jingle,’Shaefer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one’. That wouldn’t go over so hot in today’s PC world. Schaefer was also the ’Beer of the NY Mets’ I believe. Anyway, a pretty bland, non-descript American lager. I,m sure it hasn’t improved much.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
geologyguy (635) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - APR 2, 2014
Malty, slighy sweet and smooth, not Terrible! No hops, corny with no depth in taste...