overall

RATINGS: 256   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.62   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own. Schaefer has been brewed in America since 1842, making it one of Americaís oldest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - NOV 18, 2002
At first smell, it seems like it might be interesting. Alas, it is sweet and syrupy--kinda like malt liquor w/o the alcohol. Doughy taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 5, 2004
A lot of hay has been made about ratings style, and I most recently heard and read some discussion about whether its proper to include discussion about family, friends, and certain situations in discussing the actual beer. I tend to tuck this into my ratings sometimes. The fact is, there are some beers that your experience of them is very much affected by the people and scene you have them in. Their value and your opinion of the beer is affected by how well it suited you in a particular situation, beyond its taste and other characteristics. Schaefer is one such beer. I drink this beer, as I did again this other night, and I see wheatfields. No wait, thatís just the can. But that symbol is a part of it -- I see heartland America, and I see bristly faced American men with trucker hats and three chins sipping these suds at a local bar. Places where the choice is not between Hefe-Weissen, Amber, or Stout, but between Beer and Lite. Itís true, its not the best of beers, and most macros arenít be best of beers. But itís evokative of America, and when I drink this I have good feelings that Iíve grown up to be a man drinking beer in this country. The whiffs of this type of stuff when I was a kid are remembered by my nose as I sip it, something I may have done much less as a kid, and it gives you a much more earnest feeling of completeness with adulthood. It strikes me as an excellent companion to pizza, but this is perhaps because of so many Friday nights Iíd see my father drink it while we ate pizza and talked politics growing up. See, these external characteristics mean a lot here, and give more dimension beyond the flavor/aroma, so they also need to be factored in. This is one of those beers that is both tolerable to me, enjoyable to sip (when cold), and gives me feelings of adult Americana. Just as I wouldnít order a Bud in Montreal when trying to experience true Canadien bar life, or shun a Snakebite when offered it by a student in England, I would feel out of place going into regular town bars in places like the blue collar towns of Massachusetts and asking for their house I.P.A. After all, drinking the same that the people around you drink gives a great sense of bonding, comraderie, even intimacy (gad!). Itís not so much I donít recognize what comes with a good knowledge of beermanship, but I think that in rating beers, situational elements are relevant to the beerís feeling and evocation. Schaefer gets a couple points up for such an impression with me. Pale color, dispensible head that does very little, slightly bitter taste, yet easy on the palate (when cold). Can.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Thick creamy head. Goes down smoothly, I didnít want to think about the nuances of this beer and didnít have to. A good, cheap party beer

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
garrison (792) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Cheap, cabbage-like skunkiness, and nasty, why does anyone drink this stuff? Oh, yeah... it's cheap!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Tasted from the nastiness that is modern swillish beer served "fresh" from a can. No comment on the aroma since I was too lazy to pour it in a glass (donít want to contaminate my good beer glasses with the festering much that is typical boorish american piss beer). No initial flavor with a light crappy taste that isnít offensive.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
pkbites (703) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 22, 2002
Cheap. But it actually has some bite to it. A little after taste too.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Bricks (691) - Delaware, USA - JUN 26, 2010
White foamy head, dissipates quickly . Smells of corn and pungent straw-like odor. Slightly bitter, tastes of cheap -- straw with metal.. OK mouthfeel. Not good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 17, 2006
Very little scent on this one. Just a hint of malt as best as I can tell. Light golden color with very little head. Tastes rather good, albeit a bit watered down. Sweet and light bodied. Just a hint of hops. No off-flavors that I can tell. Very drinkable. Iíd prefer craft beer when I can get it, but if Iím cash-strapped, Iíd buy this long before any of the big things from BMC (I know Miller now contract-brews this, but still). Not a bad little beer. Inoffensive if nothing else.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 7, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2003 It tastes pretty good, but in 30 minutes you have to make a run for the border, if you know what I mean. Just don't drink any before bed time.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 17, 2002
If all youíve got is the change from the couch cushions...