overall

RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.61   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Schellís Deer Brand was developed prior to Prohibition and has been Schellís flagship beer ever since. Brewed from 70 percent barley malt, 30 percent corn, and our unique íSchellí yeast, Deer Brand is full flavored American Lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 12, 2004
Crystal-clear, golden color, big, fluffy, pristine white head, perfect fit for a lager. Aroma, some hops, bright and floral, but a bit soapy, growing sweet, smellish cornish...wonder what adjuncts are at play here? Okay, Iíll play nice...but it is "corny"... Taste: clean, brisk, almost crisp, then fading wuick. Very refreshing, highly downable, tastes pretty decent, actually. Not too much flavor, but it doesnít taste bad, and almost squeaky clean. I though this would be an empty, hollow, even unpleasant experience, and Iím a Schellís fan...silly me, itís a nice lager, nothing but. Iíd never choose it against many of my favorites, but I can imagine this being quite a nice alternative in many Minnesota/Midwest locations where the only other options are Bud, High Life and the like. Yeah, I can drink these, and itís not bad for $4.97 a 6íer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
badgerben (4576) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 1, 2004
Golden color with a small head. Pretty malty nose and taste, but not the same maltness of a dopplebock. It has that dusty and rotten quality to it. Kind of plain, but not horrible.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2004
Gold Coloring. Small Head. Not a Whole Lot Here. Smooth and Uninteresting. Not The Best Offering from Schells.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JPDIPSO (4958) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 24, 2004
I remember this being better than the sample in front of me now, but I do believe this is somewhat dated and will revisit next time in the New Ulm area. Golden color with a tight bubbled, cream colored head. Small lace lines. Light floral and slight paper aroma (I'll chalk that up to the age). Heavy malt sweetness, very reminicant of a eastern europe lager. Light hoppy flavor late. I look forward to a fresh sample.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
HotKarl33 (10) - Wahkon, Minnesota, USA - JUN 21, 2003
I was so happy to see this beer in a small bar in Sioux Falls SD.Smooth and refreshing so much better than anything else I drank on that trip.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
grizzzman (1) - British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 13, 2003 does not count
This is one beer that goes down smooth and kicks back with an "I want more" flavour. Too bad we can only get it when we head south!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - JAN 28, 2003
I think this brew is very under rated it comes off with a nice golden color,slightly malty nose with some hoppiness to it.The flavor was light on the malt medium to higher on the hopps with a very clean finish well worth trying if you can and for being a small local brewery for this area they produce some damn good beer with none in there brews listed in the drain pour.

Lumberjack99 (14) - Arizona, USA - NOV 24, 2002
This one gets my highest rating. Subtly creamy, malty flavor. Slightly stronger in the alcohol content than your usual American lager. If there is a regional brew that would succeed nationwide if marketed as a microbrew, this is it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - OCT 14, 2002
At the top range for an american standard. Succeeds in its intentions. An unpretentious golden lager with a hallertau hop aroma, clean refreshing maltiness.

beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 7, 2002
Welcome to German beer as interpreted by America immigrants! OK, so itís not a great beer -- but itís the original Schellís beer, and itís a tradition.