overall

RATINGS: 176   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A top-fermented, dark ale brewed in the true German style. Made with Pale 2-row, Munich, Caramel, Chocolate and Black barley malts, this is a full-bodied ale that offers great depth. The word ‘delicious’ doesn’t do this beer justice.
Now available as a Winter seasonal in November and December.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUN 25, 2002
This wasn’t my favorite Schell’s offering for a long time. I had at least one rough bottle and then my trip to the brewery didn’t really change my mind either. It reminded me a lot of my home made stout, before it was appropriately aged. With so much malt it is easy to get wierd flavors. I recently gave it another chance, or rather my husband brought home a six pack as part of showing off Minnesota beers to his relatives. I think Schell’s has finally gotten it right. There is no roughness, only smooth choclate malt flavor. Yum.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
jamrun (137) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA - JUN 21, 2002
vey malty and smooth not rich tasting sweet just malty and smooth to the finnish

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 3, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2003 Original Rate 3 June, '02 This is the beer that started my beer tasting quest many years ago, so it holds a special place in my heart/stomach. Dark blown color with a dark cream thick head. Chocolate and roast malt flavors along with a mind hop bitterness. Very satisfying. Rating 8/4/9/3/19. RERATE 30 Sept, '03 OK so my benevolence for this brew should be over. I still enjoy this brew, but perhaps my praises are based on this being the epiphany of brews. Chocolate and green hops aroma. Rich and thick in palate. A bit thin in flavor with caramel mocha flavors dominating.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nate (3759) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Very little aroma. Nice red-brown color, with small head - lacing. Smooth, watery palate. This was a bit sour (normal?) and had a coppery taste. Had some altbier character in the flavor, but was more appealing when washing down dinner, not sipped by itself.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 26, 2002
A nice creamy dark malt. Aftertaste is somewhat sour, but overall a good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Terminus (3272) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - APR 17, 2002
this is different than most beers i drink, but it wasn’t bad-just not my style-good, robust malts-chocolate throghout with a spicy finsih, similar to alot of holiday ales such as Breckenridge Christmas and goose island christmas, just not as good or strong.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - APR 12, 2002
A work of Alt - rich and mysterious with warm chocolate tones and a hint of spicy yeast in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 28, 2002
I can’t believe I’d waited this long to try this one. This is a little more choclatey than I expected, but it tastes good. Clean yeast effects let the multilayered malt flavors shine through. Nice balanced hops in the finish. There’s a lot of bang here, both for your buck and alcohol content.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - FEB 26, 2002
Lovely beer - rich and warm and satisfying.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 15, 2002
Hated it. Bitter, dark, and bad. Brush your teeth afterwards to loosen all the barley from your teeth.