overall

RATINGS: 228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A full-bodied amber ale to spice up the holidays. ĎTis the season to enjoy this rich and flavorful ale made with orange peel, cloves and spicy hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 12, 2008
Sampled on draft in the brew-pub and also had a 12 oz. bottle. Clear, copper colored pour with almost no head. Spicy clove and some citrusy orange in the nose. Flavor was spicy, some slight citrus present and very slight hop presence in the finish. Decent holiday beer, but nothing I will seek out in the future.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (2915) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - JAN 5, 2008
12 oz bottle

Another bottle from the trip to Party Source in Kentucky, this one had me a little wary when I say it was roughly a year old. I figured it might still be good and was rewarded with a nice treat. I wouldnít want to age this much longer but this experience shows that it will hold up at least 12 months.

Aroma / Appearance - The reddish orange body was close to most of the other Christmas ales I have tried this year. Orange peels, cloves and hints of red wine were strongest. Underneath was cinnamon and a spicy kick. For the most part it was subtle and perhaps a little predictable (though I canít fault it as there is only so much you can do with the style).

Flavor / Palate - The spiciness is more evident in the mouthfeel. From the start it fills the mouth with vanilla, cream and cloves. A hint of peanut butter and jelly comes next (as if one had made a smoothie and watered it down). The taste is better than the aroma which was nice. By the end the alcohol is obvious; I canít imagine trying to drink more than one in a single sitting. This was a solid beer from a company that seems to do a good job. I look forward to trying more beers as I find them.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - DEC 17, 2007
Copper color. Aroma is spice, strong (really overpowering) clove. A bit of nuttiness in the background. I do not care for the high spice level. Taste is clove, sweet malt, and I get some orange peel in the finish. I generally do not care for spiced beers. Maybe if the spice is in the background, but this spicing in not in the background... (Thanksgiving 2006)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 16, 2007
Rating #1084, on tap at the Bottleworks in Maplewood. Lighter ruby copper in color with a medium sized, medium lasting off brown head. Nose is sweet with some grains and just a hint of orange. Taste bland, coppery and just about the same. Nothing too exciting but refreshing towards the end. Better cold.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - DEC 9, 2007
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle at the Power Plant SAF.
Hazy amber with tan head.
Mild spice aromas. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe some ginger.
No real spiced flavor here. What the hell?
Medium body. Average carbonation.
Really, what was the point of this beer?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Gregis (1281) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Pours a hazy, light copper with a lot of fine sediment and a frothy, creamy, off-white head that laces fairly well. The aroma is a big and malty with notes of orange and more clove than I would prefer; not particularly enticing, I get a strange, almost soapy, "off" note that must be the hops duking it out with the cloves for dominance. Light to medium-bodied and slick with a quick hit of soft yet assertive carbonation on the swallow. The finish is also fairly quick with just a mild lingering flavor of the cloves at the end. The flavor is an improvement over the aroma, but I have an aversion to overly spiced beer (Anchors OSA for example) and this one has just way too much of the cloves out front for my liking. Sweet and malty up front (it reminds me, at first, of some pumpkin ales that Iíve tried), but an orange note comes forward, along with some spicy hops, to kick the pumpkin comparison in the teeth. Not particularly well balanced, I was a bit disappointed with this one. Unless you really go for the orange and clove wassail thing, this isnít really one that I can recommend with any enthusiasm.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thewolf (11149) - Kolding, DENMARK - DEC 2, 2007
Bottle. [thank you, drmatt!]
[2006 vintage]
Pour is a hazy brownish amber with a head that fizzes while pouring. After the pours it settles as a quite small yellowish dense creamy head. Aroma is powerfully spicy. Cinnamon, orange peel, cloves (lots!) and malty caramel sweetness. Rather light mouthfeel. Flavour is very spicy as well. Cloves dominate again, some caramel maltiness and a clear frutiness; slight sourness. Finish is peppery hoppy. Aftertaste is long, sweetish and very spicy again. Nice, but I think Iíll only have one :o)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrBunn (2456) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 23, 2007
Bottle (Oct. 30, 2007 on label). Pour is a slightly opaque orange with a dense, but small head. Aromas are of orange peels, spices and bread dough/yeast. I found this a delightful winter brew with a nice and full spicing that sits over a body of caramel malts with a touch of a hops finish. Sometimes there is a bit of a medicinal/herbal flavor that isnít quite right, but Iím wondering if they tinkered with the recipe a bit since the 2006 batch. I really liked this one... it will rank as one of my favorite Christmase brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drfabulous (3903) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 23, 2007
Moderately spiced ale. Not as intense as Anchorís release this year...and that may be a good thing. Whereas I found Anchorís too intense and too spice-cake like, this one is a bit more pleasant. Though it doesnít work as hard to differentiate itself from Schlaflyís basic pale ale...it is decent. Maybe I should age a couple.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 10, 2007
On tap at Taproom...smell is sweet like christmas candy. Taste has some alcohol burn, balance is definately towards the sweet and malty side, I agree with xmarcolanxís rating beolw that notes the slightly disappointing finish (even though mine is obviously a 2007 version vs 2006), maybe iím too much of a hop head. I will say that Iím glad that they didnt make this overly spicy. all in all I really enjoyed this.