overall

RATINGS: 165   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
2004 Hops in the City festival beer. Fruity, spicy, aromas and flavors contribute to the complexity of this Belgian ale. Medium body and effervescence contribute to a light, dry impression, despite its substantial strength and sweet, smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
nearbeer (3677) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 21, 2013
750 ml. Bottled Nov. 14, 2012. Hazy amber with a quarter inch of lasting bubbles, with lots of yeasty activity in the body. Smells of white grape must , toffee, and rusty apple cider. Tastes are rusty pear, caramel apple and a bit of resin. Medium body is dry, alcoholic, and has too much carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tcane7 (1660) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2013
At Han Dynasty with Ray and Jay. Pours a cloudy gold with white head and some lacing. Notes of caramel, peanut brittle, butter, bread. A little too sweet for me. Would benefit from a little cellaring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
musinj6 (391) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 21, 2012
Pours a deep golden with moderate effervescence, 1 finger lingering head that is white and leaves moderate to heavy lacing. Moderately sweet that quickly turns moderately tart. Bready. Hints of bananas, clove, maybe ginger Definite alcohol presence. Astringent hops. Bitter finish. Chewy, full bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SPDickerman (941) - Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2012
Pours cloudy orange with a medium white head. Smells bready, fruity, and a touch spicy. Taste is light fruits and subtle spiciness. Medium-bodied with a slick texture and fizzy mouth-carbonation, Schlafly Grand Cru finishes with a spicy tingle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ContemplateBeer (1531) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - SEP 23, 2012
Bottled on 12/15/11. Aroma was pretty yeasty-dough, cheesecloth, lemon, brett. Appearance was cloudy gold with foamy white head. Flavor matched the nose; the alcohol was noticeable, but not abrasive. Really nice lemon honey character shines through upon warming. Palate was nearly effervescent and fluffy. I liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
AdamJackson (2542) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 13, 2012
Acquired in a trade a long while ago. Bottled on 12/15/11. Enjoyed at cellar temp in a Riedel Grand Cru Bordeaux glass. Sort of a light tan with hints of brown. Minimal 2 finger head that faded almost instantly. Very bready. Hints of a rodenbach scent, brett and some bready belgian yeast strains. Some cherries and pepper. Very malty sweet taste up front. Very sweet, some very light dark fruit notes, some vanilla and spices. Lots of candied sugar and some floral sort of taste. Way too sweet. Medium body, I was expecting more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NeoHippie2 (978) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - SEP 3, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2012 Really not what I was expecting. My previous experiences with Grand Crus have led me to expect unfiltered, sweet yeasty malty goodness with spices. this was spicer but a bit harsh and low on the drinkability scale.You can definitely taste that 9% too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TaktikMTL (5706) - Montréal-Nord, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 9, 2012
Bouteille de 750 ml partagée avec des amis. Arôme: Odeur d’agrumes et d’épices. Apparence: La couleur est blonde voilée avec uune faible densité de bulle. Présence d’un mince col mousseux et d’une fine dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût d’agrumes et de coriandre avec une pointe sucrée. Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture légèrement minérale. Moyenne effervescence en bouche. Arrière goût sucré. (Rating #4261)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Glouglouburp (6004) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 4, 2012
In short: A strong sweet spicy fruity blond ale. Low drinkability
How: Bottle 750ml shared at a Montreal tasting. Not sure about the age, probably around 4 to 8 months old
The look: Cloudy blond body topped by a small white head
In long: Nose is very phenolic and rather spicy. Like smelling a wrapped spicy candy with the plastic packaging. Taste is salty crackers, white-pepper, sugary bananas, canned pineaples, spicy hard-candy, light plastic notes. Some kind of grassy hops trying to fight their way through this spicy sugariness. A bit of alcohol presence. This is really not my type of brew and I suspect my score would be even lower have I tried to drink a full bottle. My friends liked this beer more than I did but unfortunately this is just not my type of beer, and I wish my friends would understand that, I’ve even prepared an acceptance speech in case one day my friends accept me for who I am.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
keanex (1435) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - JUN 10, 2012
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice, no freshness date.

A: Very slightly hazy amber body with small carbonation bubbles steadily rising to the creamy thick white head. This is a great looking beer!

S: I’m only smelling yeast presence. A slightly chalky and ripe banana aroma is prominent, mild cloves. This smells good, but a bit weak.

T: The intro doesn’t have much going on but the yeast quickly comes in and makes it’s presence known giving a slightly chalky flavor with lots of fruit of bananas and some strawberries transforming into a dry medicinal cherry finish with mildly warming spices lingering on my tongue after the sip. I am enjoying this, the yeast is highly showcased here and it’s doing a good job.

M: Very fizzy creamy body with mildly sharp carbonation here. This feels good going down.

O: This is a good beer, I’m not sure why the low ratings but I’m enjoying this very much so. There’s a good amount going on in this that keeps me interested and nothing is immensely overpowering the next. I like this!