overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This full-bodied, deep reddish-amber lager is strong and malty. Traditionally brewed in March for the Oktoberfest in the fall, this style is also known as Märzen. Available September and October.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - OCT 10, 2004
A big thanks to Igneous1 for sending this as an extra to me in a trade! This beer pours a copper color, fairly clear with a thick pearlish head to start off, but it disappears very quickly. No lacing however to be expected. The aroma is licorice with hints of mandarin and orange with a slight hint of smokeyness and malt. The flavor is syrupy and mildly thick with mild to active carbonation. Some smokey maltimes with a hint of ginger, pepper and mandarin/orange peel and apricot. Dry, not so subtle finish. Ok, but not great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 1, 2004
Bottle - A copper color with good tan head. The aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor is malty and slightly spicy. In my opinion, this is a middle of the road Schlafly effort.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - AUG 29, 2004
(bottle-new 2004 release) Medium copper. Nice head--fades fairly quickly but leaves nice lace. Malt aroma.Flavor is malt with hints of fruit and butterscotch, and a hint of floral hops at the finish

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thegreenrooster (3194) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 21, 2004
Pours a nice copper color with big soda pop type bubbles. Aroma is malty and the flavor is super malty with a spicy kick to it. Leaves a nice roasted flavor on the pallet. A good effort for this style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 17, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2004 Sampled this beer at the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison WI. Even though my scores on this are accurate and well researched, Da Man wants me to say more about the beer, so I will. I hate when brewers rune Oktoberfest's. That is exactly what Schlafly did with this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - APR 15, 2004
Redish bronze color with tan head & some lacing. The aroma is very malty & sweet with tons of fig & cherry. The flavor is a little salty with spices and even more fig with some metallic notes in the tail. Dry/sweet finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 15, 2004
Pours a hazy amber with a thin head and no lacing. Sweet malts and caramel in the nose. Floral hops as well. Slightly roasted malt flavors, with more of the floral hops and some citrus making an appearence. Malty palate with a bitter hop finish. None too shabby.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 13, 2003
I poured this, took a sip, set it down and then looked at my computer as I swallowed. "Wow! What *was* that?!?" I thought while I scrambled to find the bottle. Granted, I just finished a Pilsner before I tried this one, but it really caught me off guard. Pours a dark orange but no head or lacing, but the glass wasn't completely dry so I can't mark it down for that. Smells mostly of roasted malt with a hint of butterscotch. Taste is exceptional considering I don't like Marzens, I mean this flavor is great! But to describe it? Hmm. Roasted malts, some apricot esters, ... There's a grainy taste to it. Hops are subtle. Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin and watery with virtually no carbonation. This was disappointing. Overall this is very unique and well-worth seeking out.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Very nicely done. Excellent flavor. Taste just like a Oktoberfest should. Only thing keeping it from outstanding is a little watery. I like this better than Sam Adams. Tastes fresh if you know what I mean. Its a shame its not available on this side of the state. This could easily find its way into my regular rotation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6019) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 3, 2003
Hazy orange hue with okay head and very good lace.The aroma is less malty than most of it's genre, you can pick up the aromatic hops in this one. Others note of bread, caramel, and earthy yeast esters. The taste was also different than most. While the roasted malts shine through, you get a hearty addition of bitter hops and some citrus. Thin to medium-bodied with a dry and lively mouthfeel. While not true to style, I still found this to be very quaffable.