overall

RATINGS: 363   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.42   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own.

shrubber85's rating

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
shrubber85 (8836) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JUL 17, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2014 Typical cheap malt liquor. Corn malt aroma. Yellow with decent head. Sweet corn malt flavor and sharp alcohol finish that burns the throat after swallowing. Fusels not quite as apparent as in many mainstream malt liquors. My first experience with this lovely beer was in 1986. I had spent the entire summer in glorious Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in Army Basic Training doing never-ending pushups and drinking nothing stronger than 2% milk and Army coffee. At the end of this great 10 weeks, my platoon was awarded the Honor Platoon for the company (which did nothing for us but got our Drill Sergeant honors as best Drill Sergeant). After weeks of yelling at us and making our lives miserable, suddenly the Drill Sergeants were our best friends. They bought us about 10 cases of various beers - one of which was a CASE of Schlitz Malt Likker (why donít they do that anymore?). Now there are several points which must be made to understand this story: 1 - I was under 21 and was only a part-time beer drinker at this time, 2 - I hadnít touched a drop of ethanol in about 3 months, 3 - I had lost about 40 pounds. So I got my can of SML (along with some Coors and something else - we each got 3 cans). Oh, did it taste glorious! And one beer was all it took to get me a hefty buzz (but of course, I had 2 more beers to drink). The next day was very fun. Only those who have been forced to stop drinking against their own will for a prolonged period can possibly understand the joy when you get your hands on a beer again (those who served in the military or those who have incarcerated - really not a great deal of difference overall). Had a similar experience 22 years later in Iraq - but at least there I could drink NA beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
jhliesen (770) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUN 28, 2015
Bottle-At least it was too bad. A fizzy white head sat on a pale yellow brew. The aroma was slightly skunky that was mostly of corn and malt. Some corn and dough (not malt) in taste. Pretty much a no nothing finish. I tend to like malt, so maybe that help to improve my rating. Produce place 1.99

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
ffbot (46) - Oakland, California, USA - APR 13, 2015
Poured this out into a shaker, poured the incorrect way because "fuck it". The little head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Taste is sweet, oily, and crisp (I will admit). The aroma is mostly nonexistent, kind of oily too if thatís possible. I was reminded of Magnum malt liquor with the experience overall, but Magnum was better. This being 6% you donít taste the alcohol, which is one thing over some of those other maltís.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
40ozkid (2) - New York, USA - JAN 7, 2015 does not count
Sipping this from a 40 oz right now. Im a Malt Liquor guy so my ratings will be higher than most of these, as I assume most people on here are the craft beer type which I am not (besides pumpkin ales in the fall). This is one of the few malt liquors that have an actual regular "beer" taste. pretty average, swills nice, average ML strength, The Bull on the label is kick ass, thatís what im rating appearance on as the bottle is brown I cant see the beer, If your looking to just have a couple beers and catch a little buzz there are worse beers out there,

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Iphonephan (4305) - McLean, Virginia, USA - OCT 27, 2014
Sample at the Beer Heads MeetUp bottle share event in October 2014. Pours pale yellow with a white head. Nondescript aroma and flavor. Why do people buy this stuff>

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DocJitsu (1202) - Florida, USA - OCT 27, 2014
The much maligned, often derided, always lampooned Schlitz Original Malt Liquor (aka, the OML as itís known at the local EBT store where I found it). Sitting here in its 16 ounce can, seated in its brown paper bag, much like a toddler swaddled in a baby wrap draped over itís hippy wannabe motherís breast. Whether this practice has always been executed to disguise the brand of the beer or to help avoid scrutiny from officers of the law is left to be argued elsewhere. Briefly, one could probably easily discredit the latter, as brown paper bags tilted to the lips has become as synonymous with sidewalk boozing as Duke basketball is with the flop. I crack the top on this healthy can emblazoned with a blue bull, complete with blue balls. Nothing extraordinary quite yet; that same familiar crisp, fresh sound that causes any beer swiller to salivate like heís sitting in a cage in Pavlovís lab. The beerís pour offers that deep echoing one gets when urinating into the deepest part of the bowl after putting off going to the rest room for way too long. Suddenly, oneís stream is as strong as little Manneken Pis. But, I digress. Itís a nice-looking beer. Crystal clear, classic golden with a white sudsy head. The head retains as well as most, if not better than its ale cousins. The nose is comprised of green grape, chalkiness, and a bit of urine. A lot about this beer reminds me of piss--but in no way, necessarily bad. There is nothing off-putting in the aromas. Itís rather clean. Itís not terribly appetizing, but hints at impending refreshment. The mouthfeel is noted to be wet, smooth, and full-bodied. A hearty pour has depleted much of its carbonation, so thereís not much scrubbiness on the tongue. That green grape is noted again in the flavor. Green banana is also easily picked up. Corny grain is certainly evident. A bit of chalky flavor emerges in there too. A muted sweetness occurs first, but quickly yields to competing sour and tart tastes. Thatís the way it finishes. Which, beckons more saliva in the mouth much like a sour hard candy. There is nothing particularly bad about this beer. My only regret is to have poured it too aggressively. A little more residual carbonation would have accentuated its character, in my opinion.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
574deadzone (1194) - North Central, Indiana, USA - OCT 16, 2014
Pours a very clear gold with a fairly decent eggshell head that settles slowly to a thick ring leaving some nice looking soapy and spotty lace. Nose involves a pretty prominent sweetness reminiscent of creamed corn with some butter, itís almost Maibock-y, but not quite...Taste is pretty darn sweet, not very bitter. Medium bodied, somewhat empty, quite actively carbed, finishing somewhat stale (best by 4 days from now). I absolutely prefer the regular strength, but this is...a beverage. The bull on the can appears to still have his balls...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mkel07 (4258) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - SEP 27, 2014
Can from Liquor Mart in New York September 2013. Couldnít bring myself to walk passed the big ass can so I thought I would give it a go. Certainly not the worst beer I have ever had and there was some flavour there it was just very well hidden.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
slowrunner77 (6925) - Reno, Nevada, USA - SEP 25, 2014
"another 40! beer #3 (and the best* in the ghetto tasting) * = worst. skunkier, generic pee beer, NO hop presence. Really really rechid instead of just rechid. I must admit, though, the tasting was fun - if a little masochistic :)"

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
UDBeernut (2152) - Between JAX and SGJ, Florida, USA - SEP 17, 2014
straight out of the can in my hotel room. nose of malt, wet corn, slight metal taste is sweet, but not cloying, some creamed corn. metal. tinny lingering mouth, overall not horrid.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Bork (445) - Rosewood, Georgia, USA - SEP 12, 2014
Does not look too bad, and does not smell ALL bad. This is completely undrinkable however. Alcohol and cheap ingredients. Pour down drain.