overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1782   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of FeldschlŲsschen-HŁrlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Well, while many before me have said the alcohol was overpowering, I donít find it bad at all ... perhaps because I drank a Dogfish head World Wide Stout last night ... a beer I find to be totally dominated by alcohol. Samichlaus pours a nice amber color with a thin, white head that disapated quickly. The aroma is quite vinous; the taste, very sweet, spicy with a nice alcohol warmth. I liked this beer quite a bit. Interesting that itís classified as a doppelbock ... itís very similar to a number of barleywines Iíve had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - NOV 11, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2005 re-rate. damn I must have got a bad bottle. This stuff is far better balanced than the last *paint thinner* exploration. woot

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
HopalotCassidy (12) - Indiana, USA - NOV 11, 2004
My wife says this tastes like soy sauce I say YooHoo Grape Soda -- what ever. Is this supposed to be beer? I remember tasting this back in the 80ís at the Brickskellar in Washington D.ysC. Wasnít a fan then either. Usually a fan of high ABV but this is too cloying and sweet to enjoy. After several minute I still wish I had water to drink. my friend says that chocolate ice cream improves the flavor but still not a fan. Upon reflection, I think in cooking -- this could work really well with game fowl in a sauce. A reduction of this with duck, quail or pheasant could be very promising. Whatever, I think Iíllgo back to my home brew or maybe a Double Bastard . . . whatever I choose, Iíll be fíd up. . .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 5, 2004
Deep dark amber color, heavy sweet spicy alcoholic aroma and taste, medium body, heavy sweet alcoholic finish. To much alcohol in the taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
IHCNavistar (93) - Orinda, California, USA - NOV 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 Bottle. Warm spicy aroma, dark color. Taste was like drinking the concentrated extracts of every spice known to man, and then some. I could only stomach one sip of this stuff. High alcohol content, and WAY too much flavor, even though I am a fan of beers with flavor. Didnít taste like beer, or anything even REMOTELY close to resembling beer. The title of "Lager" is misleading, as Engine Degreaser would be more accurate. Beer is fermented and bottled. This was allowed to die, ferment, and was then bottled. Not worth giving away.

0.8
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Sigmund (5345) - Tau, NORWAY - NOV 3, 2004
(Bottled 2003). Deep golden colour, moderate head. Aroma of sugary alcohol and hay. Grossly over-hyped and over-rated beer, mostly by people obviously fascinated by the high ABV. Sorry, I have difficulties respecting the ratings of people who actually LIKE this crap. Flavour is cloyingly & revoltingly sweet, alcohol, molasses, syrup, syrup and more syrup. And alcohol. Did I mention syrup? And alcohol? This is gross. This is REALLY gross. Half of it went down the drain. And I paid nearly US$10 (in Norway) for this bottle! (Sob!) Cellaring it for 30 years might have helped A LITTLE, but why cellar crap? A real drainpour, if I ever saw one. Thank God I drank it in November - "Samichlaus" would have ruined my Christmas completely.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2004
2003: Poured ruby amber with no head...smelled smokey with hints of dark fruits, cherries and plums...taste is initially smokey and malty...fruits abound in the mouth...as soon as I swallowed, I realized how horrendous this actually seemed...daggers and cough syrup went screaming down my throat...I got about 1/4 through the bottle when I got an aweful case of heartburn...definately not from dinner...this was all bizarre beer induced...the other bottles I have are going to be laid down for a decade or so...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrockLanders (774) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2004
2003 bottle. Much to the delight of my FSU-centric spouse this beer poured a nice garnet color, with very little head head. Aroma is molasses, malt, sweetness and alcohol. Very malty and thick, nearly syrupy. Taste is sweet and sherry like, yet there is a very definite hoppyness to this beer. Complex flavors, chocolate, raisins, cherries, woody and smoke. This vintage still needs a lot of bottle aging, the alcohol and woodiness should improve the taste of this already tasty beer. Smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty and sweet with a sharp alcohol bite. I want more to put in the cellar. One of the few lagers worth cellaring.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
Hansen (6991) - Assentoft, DENMARK - OCT 25, 2004
Donít like it. Too much alcohol, big lacks in aroma and flavor. Sorry, canít find anything but the alcohol in this yellow brew without head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4510) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - OCT 16, 2004
Burnt Beer Night: Pours a dark red color with no head. Strong aroma of alcohol and malts. Sweet malt and a pruny taste coupled with the alcohol. Iím betting it chills out over a couple of years. Tasty!