overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1820   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 2, 2005
I decent dopplebock with a strong licorice like taste to it that promises to age well. While I certainly enjoyed this one, it is not as good as older samichlaus vintages.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2009 This is a good beer... my take on it is this... its not quite as good as some of the good comments it got, but it is noting like the bad comments it got. A dopple bock with an added candy like sweetness. You can damn sure feel the 14%... after drinking about a third of mine, I had a big smile on my face that could not be removed. I have another bottle put up that I will try next year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - DEC 31, 2004
2003 drank 12-20-04. Ruby red with no head. Fruity sweet grape like aroma. Flavor is malty grape and banana with some mollasses or brown sugar. Mouthfeel, this is the smoothest beer I have tried. Has a liitle warming feeling.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Clear and light amber with white head. Looks like a Maibock. Aromatic smell of heavy fruit, malt and alcohol. Very sweet. Heavy body. Under the sweetness are the flavors of a Maibock struggling to get out. The first time I had this, 15 years ago, I thought it was undrinkable. Of couse then it was Hurlimann and I was drinking Huber, so that opinion was crap. Today, I see it as not much better. DFH does a far better job balancing high alcohol beers. If if was drier it would be a world better. Use some better attenuating yeast Castle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - DEC 28, 2004
This beer pours a clear ambery red color with zero head and a small hardly apparent carbonation tornado in the middle of my duvel glass. No lacing to speak of. The aroma is strong of high alcohol content...sherry, wood, oak, and caramel malt. The flavor is sticky as to be expected from a warming 14% doppelbock... strong caramel malt flavors mixed in with a drying slightly warming alcoholic finish. Medium to full mouthfeel due to the maple syrup like stickyness and a dash of honey. Malty finish...somewhat cloying, but I sort of expected that. Small hints of carbonation, but overall not readily apparent. Extremely one-sided in its sweetness, less alcohol presence as it warms... sticky factor increases however...nice, but aging is a must with this beer...it could use a few years to calm down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Draft version- Poured a bubbly dark color with no head not even a ring of fizz. Aroma is deep dark chocolate. Sour mouth puker sweet tast. Reminds me of a pure sugar caramel candy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goblincat (387) - Westland, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2004
Pours dark ruby in color. Nose is very nice... I’m picking up lots of Concord grape, cherry, and plum in there, same as the taste. Alcohol hides itself well for its strength. I’m more impressed with this that I though I would be.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Marko (4208) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - DEC 25, 2004
2003 Edition. I’ve been storing this for 6 months to drink on Christmas.... Strawberry jam aroma, and I’m not joking. It smelled exactly like that. I even smelled the real strawberry jam to be sure. Some alcohol’s in the aroma too, but that was expected. Poured a lovely amber with maybe a milimeter of head that vanished instantly. Tastes very sweet, with alcohol being quite evident, but far from disgusting, and with some strawberry and honey notes. The taste was also suprisingly consistent. Got me warmed up in an instant, and three quarters of the bottle were enough for me. All in all, a pleasant suprise. I was expecting this to be a candidate for the sink after reading some of the reviews, and because I don’t think that my fridge is a great place to age a beer. I know that the store I bought still has some more 2003 bottles, and I’m going to buy at least 2 more to compare with the next "vintages".

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
joergen (22895) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 23, 2004
2004-edition. Amber colour with yellowish head, that disappears fast. Sweet aroma with notes of alcohol. Very carbonated. Very sweet flavour (almost cloying) with notes of honey and alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcus (7301) - Sacramento, California, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Bottled in 2000 and aged in a proper environment. This dark amber beer poured with no head, eliciting a very strong fruity, malty aroma. The flavor is somewhat syrupy, but very deep and rich, a lot more mellow than a 2003 bottle I had recently. This is a great way way to get warmed up on a cold winter day.