Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1862   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Pailhead (6032) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Bottle (2003): Aroma is malty with fruit, light banana bread, and light chocolate. Pours a dark transparent amber with a small off-white head that diminishes somewhat quickly. Malty up front and extremely sweet maple syrup and banana bread flavors in the finish. Slight alcohol burn and flavor is there in the finish. Syrupy mouthfeel. Sweetness mellows out as it warms and becomes much more enjoyable. Alcohol also diminishes as it warms. The more I drink, the more I like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5769) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2011 A world classic that I keep in my cellar. I buy a case of this one and nurse it over about a 5 year time period enjoying it’s complexity as it matures. Sampled from an 11.2 oz brown bottle this brew pours a dark bronze color with a small light tan head. There is a strong aroma of molasses, rum, raisins and significant alcohol burn. There is also a hint of apple in the nose. There is a strong alcohol burn when tasting but it works well in this brew. The flavor is molasses, ripe dark fruits and almond. The beer is a bit rough on the palate but it smooths out considerably once it has a chance to breathe and warm up. Under no circumstances would I suggest drinking this beer cold as you will miss out on most of what this beer has to offer - and will merely be overwhelmed by the alcohol burn. The texture is thick and syrupy. I feel this beer should be savored slowly like a fine cognac. Exceptional.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 2, 2005
I decent dopplebock with a strong licorice like taste to it that promises to age well. While I certainly enjoyed this one, it is not as good as older samichlaus vintages.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2009 This is a good beer... my take on it is this... its not quite as good as some of the good comments it got, but it is noting like the bad comments it got. A dopple bock with an added candy like sweetness. You can damn sure feel the 14%... after drinking about a third of mine, I had a big smile on my face that could not be removed. I have another bottle put up that I will try next year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - DEC 31, 2004
2003 drank 12-20-04. Ruby red with no head. Fruity sweet grape like aroma. Flavor is malty grape and banana with some mollasses or brown sugar. Mouthfeel, this is the smoothest beer I have tried. Has a liitle warming feeling.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Clear and light amber with white head. Looks like a Maibock. Aromatic smell of heavy fruit, malt and alcohol. Very sweet. Heavy body. Under the sweetness are the flavors of a Maibock struggling to get out. The first time I had this, 15 years ago, I thought it was undrinkable. Of couse then it was Hurlimann and I was drinking Huber, so that opinion was crap. Today, I see it as not much better. DFH does a far better job balancing high alcohol beers. If if was drier it would be a world better. Use some better attenuating yeast Castle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - DEC 28, 2004
This beer pours a clear ambery red color with zero head and a small hardly apparent carbonation tornado in the middle of my duvel glass. No lacing to speak of. The aroma is strong of high alcohol content...sherry, wood, oak, and caramel malt. The flavor is sticky as to be expected from a warming 14% doppelbock... strong caramel malt flavors mixed in with a drying slightly warming alcoholic finish. Medium to full mouthfeel due to the maple syrup like stickyness and a dash of honey. Malty finish...somewhat cloying, but I sort of expected that. Small hints of carbonation, but overall not readily apparent. Extremely one-sided in its sweetness, less alcohol presence as it warms... sticky factor increases however...nice, but aging is a must with this beer...it could use a few years to calm down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Draft version- Poured a bubbly dark color with no head not even a ring of fizz. Aroma is deep dark chocolate. Sour mouth puker sweet tast. Reminds me of a pure sugar caramel candy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goblincat (398) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2004
Pours dark ruby in color. Nose is very nice... I’m picking up lots of Concord grape, cherry, and plum in there, same as the taste. Alcohol hides itself well for its strength. I’m more impressed with this that I though I would be.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Marko (4418) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - DEC 25, 2004
2003 Edition. I’ve been storing this for 6 months to drink on Christmas.... Strawberry jam aroma, and I’m not joking. It smelled exactly like that. I even smelled the real strawberry jam to be sure. Some alcohol’s in the aroma too, but that was expected. Poured a lovely amber with maybe a milimeter of head that vanished instantly. Tastes very sweet, with alcohol being quite evident, but far from disgusting, and with some strawberry and honey notes. The taste was also suprisingly consistent. Got me warmed up in an instant, and three quarters of the bottle were enough for me. All in all, a pleasant suprise. I was expecting this to be a candidate for the sink after reading some of the reviews, and because I don’t think that my fridge is a great place to age a beer. I know that the store I bought still has some more 2003 bottles, and I’m going to buy at least 2 more to compare with the next "vintages".