Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1847   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - NOV 23, 2004
11.23.04 .33l bottle. Although it’s ubiquitous, I’ve never gotten around to drinking this one. The pour is thick and mostly clear rust color with minimal head. Aromas are very sweet and cloying; lagery as can be; a bit of goat cheese? First sip is a real eye opener: a massive hit of alcohol goes far beyond warming an delves into burning. I’m not sure I’m ready to sacrifice my palate, but I can suck it up. Massively malty, sweet like honey, not as syrupy as many have noted and even a light eff pervades. Some salty, soy undertones that really come through in the aftertaste. Offputting super-lager flavors that make this one something I don’t really care for but I can see where they’re going with it for sure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Littlechemist (3) - Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA - NOV 19, 2004 does not count
This just isn’t beer. It is quite heavy and syrupy, tasting of caramel with a smoked-wood aftertaste. I do not care for it and would not drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
IndianaRed (3043) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 17, 2004
Bottle Pours a clear mahogany witha lively but short lived off white head. There is literally nothing left for any trace of lacing. Aroma is a tasty wood caramel with dark malts and sme alcohol notes. Flavor is quite sweet caramel chocolate and wood. The ABV is fairly strong but does not get in the way. Woody aftertaste and a slightly chalky feel at the end. Tasty but the alcohol taste and the over swetness put me off a bit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - NOV 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2005 Vintage 2001: Comes across more like a barley wine. It poured a dark brown color with a thin brown head that quickly became a halo around the glass. Sweet, very wine-like aroma. The taste is quite sweet, the mouthfeel syrupy. The alcohol doesn’t come across until the dry finish. Enjoyable.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - NOV 15, 2004
A cross between a Doppelbock and barely wine is what this came across as to me. Very malty and sweet, the ABV is very apparent in the mouth. Nothing I’d drink on a regular bases but worth a visit just for a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Well, while many before me have said the alcohol was overpowering, I don’t find it bad at all ... perhaps because I drank a Dogfish head World Wide Stout last night ... a beer I find to be totally dominated by alcohol. Samichlaus pours a nice amber color with a thin, white head that disapated quickly. The aroma is quite vinous; the taste, very sweet, spicy with a nice alcohol warmth. I liked this beer quite a bit. Interesting that it’s classified as a doppelbock ... it’s very similar to a number of barleywines I’ve had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - NOV 11, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2005 re-rate. damn I must have got a bad bottle. This stuff is far better balanced than the last *paint thinner* exploration. woot

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
HopalotCassidy (12) - Indiana, USA - NOV 11, 2004
My wife says this tastes like soy sauce I say YooHoo Grape Soda -- what ever. Is this supposed to be beer? I remember tasting this back in the 80’s at the Brickskellar in Washington D.ysC. Wasn’t a fan then either. Usually a fan of high ABV but this is too cloying and sweet to enjoy. After several minute I still wish I had water to drink. my friend says that chocolate ice cream improves the flavor but still not a fan. Upon reflection, I think in cooking -- this could work really well with game fowl in a sauce. A reduction of this with duck, quail or pheasant could be very promising. Whatever, I think I’llgo back to my home brew or maybe a Double Bastard . . . whatever I choose, I’ll be f’d up. . .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 5, 2004
Deep dark amber color, heavy sweet spicy alcoholic aroma and taste, medium body, heavy sweet alcoholic finish. To much alcohol in the taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
IHCNavistar (93) - Orinda, California, USA - NOV 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 Bottle. Warm spicy aroma, dark color. Taste was like drinking the concentrated extracts of every spice known to man, and then some. I could only stomach one sip of this stuff. High alcohol content, and WAY too much flavor, even though I am a fan of beers with flavor. Didn’t taste like beer, or anything even REMOTELY close to resembling beer. The title of "Lager" is misleading, as Engine Degreaser would be more accurate. Beer is fermented and bottled. This was allowed to die, ferment, and was then bottled. Not worth giving away.