overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1698   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 14, 2002
Really strong, but doesn’t have much else going for it. Looks like Coke because of all the carbonation, and has a sweetness about it that’s almost too much to bear. Hardly a head. Can’t say I enjoyed it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 7, 2002
(2000 version) Complex. Raisins, kirschwasser, marzipan, baking bread. Very, very warming. If you drink this while reading manga (specifically Lone Wolf and Cub) after 2 AM, you will have odd dreams about ninjas. And if this is a doppelbock as the official style description claims, then I am the rightful heir to the throne of the medieval Lithuanian Empire.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
leaparsons (8037) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 24, 2002
Quite a Xmas pudding flavoured beer. An Xmas pudding with brandy in the recipe and brandy poured over it. Strong alcohol taste.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 21, 2002
This beer was horrible. This was my first beer with an alc. % over 10 and I thought this would be great. I had the 200 vintage, and it was probably the worst beer I’ve ever had. The taste of carmel/toffee couldn’t make it past the stomach acid taste of the whole brew. Not reccommended for anyone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerschnob99 (4) - USA - MAY 31, 2002 does not count
This beer is extremely complex; definitely worth a try. There is a heavy alcohol aroma and flavor--beware. I rated this beer well because there are so so many beers that fall short of what this accomplishes. On the other hand, there are a handful that exceed it. A great beer overall.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 17, 2002
I really expected more from this beer. I had a very strong alcohol aroma, poured a thin off-white head that dissapated quickly. NIce dark caramel color. I just tasted too much alcohol in my 2000 bottle. Maybe it needed to age more. It tasted like someone had poured scotch in my beer. Tried it once, wont bother with a second.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 14, 2002
Reminded me of Godiva Chocalate liqueor. Nice chocalate malts, with a good roasted malt tone in it. But it really tasted too much like alcohol for me too really enjoy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Davhgbrew (938) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - MAY 13, 2002
00’ bottle, Had a dark orange appearance, with almost no head. A malty, woody, syrupy aroma, the palate was a little overpowering with tons of malt, which mellowed a little as I drank on. Had a very syrupy mouthfeel, the middle was minty, piney, with a dry charcoal finish. I can see how this beer might get better with age. It was strong, almost barleywine’ish, although the 14%abv was hardly overwhelming. This one was a little too malty for my liking, and more of a brew to come home to in the winter, not a florida summer day, but an interesting brew nontheless.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - MAY 10, 2002
This was one of them beers I had to try. Heavy brandy type alcohol sweet malty flavor, very enjoyable. I paid for one bottle what I usually pay for a six-pack of premium ale. Definitely worth the experience, and that time it was considered the strongest beer in the world... An unforgettable taste.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Torpedo (2) - Messina, ITALY - MAY 7, 2002 does not count
Poor beer..Bonnano have him for his father...ahUHAUHUAhAU