overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1803   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2003
2001 ruby and amber absolutely no head. Smells of alcohol,figs, some fruit and makes me think its going to kick me in the ass. malty sweetness, thick on the palate, candy sweetness. warming and a bit rough to get down, this needs some age, I would like to re-try an older version, this one I really did not want to finish, though I can see the potential , your call I would say the older the better, 5 years+

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Silphium (3188) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Bottled in 2001.
Clear amber/red body with a thin white head and heavy carbonation. Aroma is caramely sweetness and alcohol. I was not amused by the harsh, syrupy malt nastiness that hit my tongue upon sipping. I enjoy sweet, malty barleywines and a good doppelbock, but this beer was way too harsh. The alcohol punch was also harsh. Unique, but in a bad way.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
radiomgb (2450) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 25, 2003
Deep amber in colour. The aroma is of alcohol, caramel and some sweetness. The flavour was of alcohol first, with some cream and syrupy sweetness. If finishes with a hugh alcohol warmth that lasts for a while in the back of the mouth. Quite nice, but would like to try this aged after a couple of years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fiulijn (15770) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 15, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2013
2013-01-31, vintage 2010, 2+ years old, 6-4-8-4-15=37
Beautiful darker amber color, but almost no head, disappearing quickly. It has a mild aroma of caramel and alcohol, too light. Fairly good body strength; the mouthfeel is just a bit oily; caramel flavor, sweet but less than I remembered, with light fruity touch (pleasant) and quite evident although not obsessive alcohol presence.
It’s a bit too simple, missing some character/edges, it seems to have mellowed a bit from a couple of years ago, not necessarily for the better.

2011-05-31, bottled 2010, 1+ years old, 6-4-8-3-14=35
Amber color, clean, with a generous compact head, reducing to a thin layer. Mild aroma of Lager, malt, caramel and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Round body, sweet malty flavor, with some caramel and a hint of liquorice; the alcohol is quite well hidden, while the bitterness is on the low edge. It really reminds me of Eku 28, just less thick and cloying. Pleasant for sweet beer lovers, but without much interesting characteristics.

2003-07-14, bottled 2000, 3+ years old, 9-4-9-4-16=42
Beautiful ruby-amber color, poor head. Strong sweet aroma: malt, caramel, cookies, Christmas spices, liquorice. Extremely strong, malty, well hopped, caramel, Porto wine; chewy; evident alcohol. Long, bitter caramel final.

Exaggerated! Cloying as after dinner; better with spicy food.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6148) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 13, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2003 2001 version: Red/Orange beer with a VERY sweet bouquet that can't quite hide alcohol content. The taste is very strong in alcohol, I didnt expect it to be well hidden like in many trappists ales, but here it really seems like we have liqueur-like alcohol sticking to candy, syrup, wood. I don't understand most people's passion about this beer or it wasn't old enough, too sweet.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUL 7, 2003
Bottled 2002. I am one of those who just can get the hype of this beer. I've tried embrace it, tell myself how uniqe it is and so on...I'm sorry, but "No More!" to this one. Brown in coulor with no carbonation to speak of. Smelled maplesyrup and tasted like one. Gave most of it to my sister who only drinks Bacardi Breezer and she just loved it...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beastiefan2k (2694) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2007 2001 bottle. One can smell the alcohol, almost like a mixed drink but after sipping the beer (the only way this one should be consumed) the alcohol is hidden very well. A definite taste of chocolate in this beer and a sweet aftertaste. I have never had anything like it.

2005 bottle drinking right now, start of Dec 9, 2006, 12:00am Eastern Time. A few days past Samichlaus day and just as Lennon’s anniversary passes. This must have been in the fridge a couple of months now. I let it warm for about 45 minutes in the bottle at room temperature. Poured it into a Celebrator glass, I figure two of my favorite doppelbocks should be joined in a way. This is a fav beer of mine however I have rarely enjoyed it this young. Its amazing how clear this is. Usually, i find a clear beer to be empty in the beauty department. But this is completely lucid, color is dark copper, just a few bubbles seen in the glass and a tiny lacing. Beautiful in its simplicity yet obviously not a simple thing to do. It reminds me of a quote referring to Raoul Dufy, something about a master can make something look extremely easy (eh, who needs exact quotes anyway). Now, either I have grown accustom to alcohol or it seems this isn’t as strong as I once thought (as noted above in an early rating). I mean the alcohol is still there but just seems more manageable. Well, outside the alcohol the nose is filled with dates, raisons, plums, dark fruits that were probably soaked in alcohol for a few weeks. Still damn nice. An extremely light body for such a strong brew. Just light on the cheeks, the lagering is great, no residual sugars left over. Taste has some chocolate coming out along with all those elements in the nose. Its this chocolate that becomes very pronounced with age as my experience with the Hürlimann version has showed me. Its promising for this version to go the same route (I sincerely hope). Leaves an alchy aftertaste, some resinous flavors as well. I can taste the plums for minutes after each sip, and feel the alcohol in my throat as well. This will become great with time. I am only about a quarter through the bottle and I am already talking about Dufy in my rating, another upside to this beer.

2001, Keg at HDG 2nd Anniversary party. Oh man, have I wanted to try this beer on tap for a long time. Finally got to try it on June 30th, 07. So my hunch was right, this beer really has barely aged in the keg. Tastes almost fresh, probably as the 1 year old bottle above. the beer did feel a bit thicker and was dark and a bit murkier than the bottle. Again, in keg I bet this could sit around forever.

DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JUN 27, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2008 2000 bottle version.red in color and had a fruity smell.the high alcohl content was present but did not take away from the goodness of the beer.I had a 96 version and the 2000 was much better.You felt the alcohol go down but was smooth overall with a little aftertaste. Just finished off a 750ml of this and was great.It was sweet but should mellow with time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GregClow (2938) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 23, 2003
2001 vintage, tasted as part of an impromptu sampling of several "big" beers for a friend's birthday. Reddish-brown colour a small, quickly disappearing head. Body is very still with just a minimal amount of carbonation. Strong, alcohol aroma with malt and dark fruit notes, reminding me a bit of port or sherry. Flavour is big and warm, with notes of malt, dark cherry, plum, and caramel, and an obvious kick of alcohol in the finish. I think that another couple of years of aging would've mellowed the boozy edges of this one, but it was still a nice way to finish the evening.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 22, 2003
2001 Edition: This beer poured a dark amber color and formed a small bubbly white head that left trace lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt, caramel and alcohol. A flavor of malt, caramel, alcohol and touch of raisins and other dark fruits. This beer has a strong powerful finish and is definately meant as a sipping after dinner type of beer. Too bad I still can't get it in my state even with the new laws.