overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 3231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
sfontain (842) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 25, 2005
Having had the eisbock version of this, it was treat to try this normal-strength version. Pours a deep, reddish brown color with a fizzy, tan head that fills up 7/8 of the glass if you are not careful with the pour. I’ve never heard a beer before this one that made the same sound as a soda being poured, but this thing bubbles aggressively. Aroma is excellent, with bubble gum (first time I’ve ever smelled really prominent bubble gum), bananas, clove, wheat, dark malts and fruit. Flavor is dark and hearty, with dark fruit, spices, cloves, with a wheaty finish and just a hint of caramel; very nice. Aroma and flavor both are slightly sour. Lacking a little in the palate arena: It’s amazing how this beer isn’t cloying, but it’s just too thin; indeed, I feel that the lack of body in this beer actually affets the flavor component negatively because it just isn’t thick enough. Overall, this is a wonderful and somewhat unusual style, and this beer is just outstanding.

Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 25, 2005
Robe brune aux reflets auburn surmontée d’une mousse beige persistente et en dentelle. Arômes de caramel, de malt, d’épices, de levures et d’alcool. Saveurs de caramel, de blé, de pain, d’alcool et de noix de Grenobles. Houblon de soutien.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - SEP 23, 2005
A strong aroma of dark fruit and malt are accompanied by a hint of banana. The appearance is a rich dark ruby brown with a long lasting tan head. There is considerable lacing. The flavor is a complex combination of dark fruit, malt and roasted banana. The body is creamy and medium.

DarkElf (3038) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 23, 2005
(500 ml bottle: $3.29 at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA) This is probably the best authentic Weizen Bocks available to me. I may fall down slobbering in a pool of drool over this beer because I like traditional doppelbocks more than wheat doppelbocks, but I still love this beer. Sweet, strong wheat flavor, dark malts, dark fruits, banana and bubble gum, yeast, and actually a modest tartness and slight bitterness in the finish for balance and appreciated "anti-cloying abilities". The nose is wheat, banana and bubble gum again, dark rich malt, molasses, some tartness, and is fairly "doppelbock-ish". Full bodied, somewhat sticky and syrupy, but again, not cloying. Fully cloudy in appearance, and the medium brown color would make a nice stain for furniture. Tan head pours to nearly two inches in height, despite a fairly careful pour, but does eventually settle to a wide ring. This is just a delicious beer. It’s sheer excellence, and from what I’ve experienced in my beer life, the standard by which all wheat doppelbocks should be judged.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 23, 2005
Quickly disappearing head. Initial aroma was great (I say initial aroma because it sadly disappeared as the head quickly receded). I would have to say that during the pour was one of the best aromas I’ve ever sensed. I would almost buy this brew just for the aroma that is released during the pour. On the nose was caramel and, most importantly to me, a dark fruity aspect that reminded me of a red wine. Flavor is as good as the aroma. I got a hint of that dark fruit that i was so impressed with on the nose. The alcohol is noticeable, and is a nice addition to the mouthfeel in my opinion. To me, this brew is all about that initial aroma/taste of dark fruit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2005
Had this the other day, and unfortunately forgot to rate it. The pour was a dark brown, with very minimal head. I remember the flavor being really rich, robust, wheaty and malty, but not much else. Damn. It was so good, too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GirlyBeer (190) - Old Orchard Beach, Maine, USA - SEP 19, 2005
Bottle: Smells like malt, banana and cola. Pours a hazy brown with a thick, tan head. Tastes very sweet with a little banana, a little bit of alcohol on the finish. Smooth feeling. Overall I thought the banana was a bit too strong.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - SEP 16, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2006 Cloudy true brown with a frothy initial head that lasts a little while and dissipates to a thin corona around the perimeter. The aroma contains some candy banana, grape juice and a touch of caramel. The flavour is very well balanced, but is let down a bit by the palate. The alcohol was well contained, but provides a nice kick when it finally becomes evident as I’m finishing off the half-litre bottle, kicking me like Stan Longinidis. The first time I rated this beer it was over-carbonated, but this time it is a bit undercarbonated. Somewhere in the middle is where this belongs - I will keep searching for the bottle that fits, and enjoy every drop along the way... (July 8 2006 - I think I found the one - perfect carbonation. It really makes a difference)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DanielBrown (4096) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - SEP 12, 2005
Bottle from Asda. Sweet, slightly chocolate-y brew. Pours brown, with a nice head. First off I didn’t quite get this one - it just seemed like a sweet, heady beer, with a warming finish. However as I drank, I got the excellent balance, enticing sippability and smoothness. I’m not massive on big sweet beers (give me hop instead please), but I did like this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Dark and hazy with a foamy tannish head. Reminds me of a dunkel in aroma: fresh baked banana bread. Tastewise it’s something else. Sweet at first sip but not sticky: raisins and cherries, spices. Warms up nicely on the palate. Faint medicinal quality to the finish but otherwise very satisfying. A fantastic beer that keeps me coming back for more.