overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 3029   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 9, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2008 This is a good, solid German Beer, it is chocolaty, with a Caramel flavor, but not overpowering, A great beer to enjoy slowly! I really liked it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2004 I usually don’t like wheat beers, but I really like doppelbocks. I found this combination to be mostly good. The head size was small and fizzy, and mostly diminished by the time I tasted it. The beer was an orangish-brown. The citrusy, wheat-beer-ish aroma had me dreading the taste a bit, that’s why I gave the aroma lower marks. I caught a slight nuttiness in the aroma, but that could be my nose sucking. The taste was the best part of this beer, lightly sweet at first with plenty of that acidity I smelled, yet also with some soft and malty notes to tone it down. At the beginning of the finish, the sweetness returned (which was nice), and then it dried out into the acid wheat-beer finish I don’t particularly enjoy. Basically, it’s a citrusy, understated doppelbock, and probably the best wheat-based beer I can remember having tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
leaparsons (8019) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 4, 2004
Funny, I thought I had rated this before. I drink it often enough. This is lovely and dark with a big white head. Aromas are sweet chocolate malts and banana. Flavours are as rich - being banana, chocolate, lots of malts and bready yeast. A great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Metalhead (628) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - MAY 30, 2004
HUGE densely beaded tan head that took forever to calm down so I could drink it.Color of a TRUE dunkle weisse. Mild wheat but moderate chocolate,clove and (other spices?)mild banana. near perfect balance. Wait,I'm drinking this now,hmm,even hints of vanilla(?!).I’ve had a few bottles that were 4 years old and HOL-EE Schnikeys. Near heaven.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2004
I once wrote that even if you don’t like the style, you should be able to appreciate a good example of it. I was wrong. This is a 99 %ile beer and left me unimpressed. Dark brown with fleeting tan head. Some sweetness to the nose. Medium body. Unremarkable flavor. Sorry, WheatBeerians, this did nothing for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - MAY 28, 2004
Holy shit this is great! The wheat and spices are perfeectly balanced with a nice peppery finsh. A must try on draft.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beanmedic (347) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 25, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2006 comletely filled with the herbal and fruity characteristics. this is very enjoyable even though it rings in at 8%. the alcohol taste is not overwhelming as you would expect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 24, 2004
Cloudy yellow/orange appearance. Nice layer of head along with descent lacing throughout the consumption. Banana and clove aromas abound. A slight chocolate flavor is hid under banana and clove. Good balance of malt to give it some excellent body. It went quite well with my fondue dinner the other night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
piscator34 (1959) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 14, 2004
Dark amber and cloudy. Strong wheat and yeast aromas, mingled with banana and clove. Surprisingly malty flavors along with your typical sour wheat beer flavors, with just a hint of chocolate on the finish. This beer is obviously well made and I enjoyed drinking it, but I miss the whole "refreshment" element of the wheat beer experience with this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - MAY 12, 2004
This beer is filled with delight! Aroma of clove spice, apples, bananas and yeast. Flavors are complex and long lasting. Has a clean freshness about it. 8% alc well hidden. Overall, enjoyable. Probably my favorite weizen bock.