overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 3203   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
erod61 (31) - Bangor WI, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 29, 2005
500 ml bottle sample. About 50 degrees F at serving. Pours a long lasting root beer float colored head. The aroma is very different malty fruity and full of yeast. Color is a dark chestnut brown. This was a very lavorful beer for me, although one that I really can’t quite pin down. I guess the best descriptor I can put on it is a smoky fruity yeasty flavor with a pronounced alcohol kick to balnce the sweetness. I waited for this beer for a while and it was worth the wait!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BT (123) - Westchester, Illinois, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Thick, small bubbled head that didn’t last too long, creamy white. Very fragrant, yeasty, sweet aroma, very fresh. Mouth feels smooth and light, but not watery, a bit of alcohol. Flavor is full but hard for me to describe exactly...tasty though. I highly recommend.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chriso (7482) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 25, 2005
Mid brown colour. Rather paler than I expected and without much sediment in the bottle. Small, but persistent, head. Runs the gamut of aromas from B to V (banana to vanilla) - banana, cloves, pineapple, caramel, treacle toffee, molasses, vanilla and probably some other s too. The flavour has more of the same, but less intense. There’s some plummy fruit and licorice here too, with just a bit of citric bite kicking in to temper the sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth, tending towards the sticky side of the street. It’s certainly a nice beer, but its not quite a 4 for me. 500ml bottle from beersofeurope.co.uk

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Pours a medium brown, very fizzy looking. Head is huge! - it’s officially the biggest head I have ever seen on a beer that I poured myself. Smells of pepper, lemon, lime, bananas, chicory and cloves. Tastes yeasty and spicy; cloves and banana, but with roasted and chocolate doppelbock characteristics as the undertones. Can taste alcohol. First few sips were interesting, but after the three sips, I was nearing beer heaven. Drank this one at about 40-50 degrees, so taste was rich and right on the money. Deserving of its status as a 4-point or higher beer on RateBeer.com.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haddonsman (1234) - Derby, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - JAN 19, 2005
Rating #400. Dark caramel body with blink-and-you-miss-it head. Soaked earth aroma riven with cloves. Tingling taste thanks to the calm yet steady carbonation. Gentle flavours; bit of a banana dessert I once tried with caramel sauce but in a dutifully understated fashion. Attractive sweetness towards the end. Alcohol level is well contained. A worthy #400 deserving of its reputation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Commodore (112) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2005
Dear me..what a lovely experience. Had a lovely odour of an active and unfiltered beer. A nice brown colour and a persistent head. Tasted magical, with a delicate bubbly taste of champagne, and fruity notes that my palate cannot even begin to describe. It was truly an experience and one that I definitely enjoyed.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Deep reddish brown with a slight haze. Maintains a dense off-white head. Rich aroma profile of toasted pumpernickle bread, plum, banana and cloves. Full, chewy mouthfeel. Initial flavor of ripe dark sweet fruit with figs and dates coming to mind. Some whiskey or port- like notes in the background. 8% alcohol cuts in nicely to balance out the sweetness. Pleasantly sweet finish with just a touch of roasty bitterness. A world class Weizenbock!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RichardGretton (4385) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 17, 2005
Muddly looking active beer with a banana like aroma and a banana flavour with a slight hint of bitterness. Overall quite a plain beer, its major benefit is its refreshing qualities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - JAN 15, 2005
BeerBlockaid twisted my arm to try this one. I am always suspicious of anything ’bock’. I have had too many run-ins with Sam Adams type bocks that make me sick and spoil my taste for beer for weeks... But here goes.. Pours a beautiful ruby brown, with a creamy head which disappears completely after a while. Lovely sweet fruit and malt aroma. And the taste... Oh My God, this is delicious! I was not prepared for just how good this stuff really is.. What a brew to stumble into! Sweet plums, fig, old orange, malt, caramel, light spices, banana.. very complex and wonderful. Thick, smooth mouthfeel. Warming alcohol on the way down, and a pretty good kick, too! This is superb! It may turn into a race between me and Beerblockaid to get back to the bottle shop to clean them out of this. You’re wasting time if you haven’t yet tried this awesome beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 13, 2005
1 pint bottle.(shown in foto) Phenominal surprise. I picked this up tonight and wasnt expecting much. Boy was I surprised! Poured very dark, rich brown colour. Smell is of roasted malt and kiln. Hints of chocolates, clove, and fruit (prune, raisin) thats well balanced and excellently represented. Man, I am going to stock this. Has a slight watery hint as you take bigger sips. Great aftertaste. very rich and smooth. I regret not picking up the rest of the stock, or at least the other beers brewed by this company. They are definately onto something!!!