overall

RATINGS: 3417   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - DEC 9, 2005
(500 ml bottle) Cloudy brownish body, very large biege head. Aroma gluey. Spotty lacing. Tastes of alcoholic, malty sweetness along with the glue-like quality I associate with wheat beers. Smooth mouthfeel. Alcohol in this one will mellow you out. Not my favorite beer style but I appreciate its quality.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
Skinnyviking (8661) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 4, 2005
Bottle. White head. Dark red brown muddy body. Fruity malt aroma. Banana and cherry flavor. Rather sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lethe (177) - New York, USA - DEC 3, 2005
Pour is deep brown with reddish hue and a lasting foam head. Nose is wheat notes of banana and predominantly clove. Mouthfeel is full and silky with minimal carbonation. Flavor is wheat then sweeter malt tones of plum and more clove. Extremely well balanced and enjoyable. One of the best widely-accesible German brews. Noch einmal.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FunBun (2) - Huissen, NETHERLANDS - NOV 30, 2005 does not count
This beer has a nice warm autumn-like red/brown colour. It’s a lightly bitter doppelbock and it’s the best I’ve had so far. It’s an almost perfect creation. I can’t wait to taste the Aventinus Eisbock...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Holdwine (1169) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 26, 2005
Again, I am getting into the stronger wheats and this one is great. Beautiful dark cherry pour with a lasting white top. Toasty malt notes along with the banana and clove one would expect. Takes a hold of your mouth and won’t let go! More subtle spices as it rests and warms. Me like.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - NOV 26, 2005
(draft) Good, but not as good as everyone else seems to think. Nothing noteworthy at all. I’d describe some details but there really aren’t any. It’s just a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - NOV 25, 2005
50 cl bottle. Yeast in bottom. Aroma of yeast and wheat, hints of chocolate. Great flavour of wheat and yeast and hints of chocolate malt. Very tasteful and very drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pfr (121) - København, DENMARK - NOV 25, 2005
50 cl bottel Color - Dark REd/Brown Head - Beige Aroma - Weat, yeast Flavor - Weat, yeast Good beer

sprinkle (114) - Arcadia, Michigan, USA - NOV 24, 2005
Don’t usually rate beers I can regularly get but this is such a classic, it deserves it! Beautiful phenolic nose, creamy notes of clove and bannana. Huge head that sticks around. Fine Champagne bubbles. Clear deep garnet in color. Rich, creamy and balanced, slight sweetness but not too cloying. Alcohol is present but not overbearing. I would use this as a session beer, exept for the 8% abv.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - NOV 20, 2005
Aventinus, we need to talk...I don’t think we’re working out well together. It’s not you...it’s me. You are a pretty brew with your sparkling clear amber-brown color, and you KNOW I like the full body (wink) but I need more. Your interesting smell of plumbs and pink grapefruit just doesn’t do it for me. Sorry. The "clove-like" impression you claim is certainly true, but I just don’t like cloves...it brings me back to my angry adolescence, sneaking away and smoking clove cigarettes (blah!). There’s plenty of other raters out there that will appreciate you more than me...I’m sure a quality brew such as yourself will be happier with them than with me.