overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 3184   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Norton (329) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 13, 2004
Bottled pint. MUDDY! Intensely murky, lots of wheaty sediment swirling around in a deep prunish-gold haze. Hold up to light and it looks like a riverbed. I thought I might see a catfish in there! Poured immense crackly white foam head, yet dissipated rather quickly. Head did not remain. Peppy carbonation, bubbles arose throughout. Obvious clove smell. Doughy sweetness tickles the tongue. I like the tartness leftover in my mouth. Extremely enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - JUN 13, 2004
certainly one of the best beers have ever had! poured a opaque brown color with a foamy slightly off white head. head shrunk down to a quater of an inch and the rest stood there! Aroma was sweet caramel and bread. The flavor was initally sweet but finished with a mix of wheat and cloves. The taste of cloves was very mild though, but where present.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerandBlues2 (10531) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Mahoganoy in color with a tall, foamy, tan head. Aroma is sweet and wheaty, a little like dough. Caramel and nutty flavor. Metallic and fizzy medium palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gorbalev (2990) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 11, 2004
What an interesting combination. Classic wheat smells, rather citrusy but more spice, yet the body was a fantastic hazy dark brown, Huge fizzy head that lasted. First sip is crisp, caramel and then the citrus flavours you expect from a wheat. Great clean finish, slight hops in the end. A refreshing and very balanced beer. And I can’t believe it is 8%. A great experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
sethdude (704) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 10, 2004
Pours a reddish-tan color, massive carbonation, pretty much no head, though bubbles are present on top it is more similar to the carbonation effect on top of a glass of soda than the head of a beer. Aroma is quite spiced, some coriander and cloves, bubblegum and bananas. Aroma is very sharp and sweet, perhaps even sour (if that’s even possible in aroma?). Flavor is initially very malty, somewhat woody, and very, very sweet nearing the finish. Grassy hops end the flavor. Very different, I must say.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 9, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2008 This is a good, solid German Beer, it is chocolaty, with a Caramel flavor, but not overpowering, A great beer to enjoy slowly! I really liked it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
arjoseph (640) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2004 I usually don’t like wheat beers, but I really like doppelbocks. I found this combination to be mostly good. The head size was small and fizzy, and mostly diminished by the time I tasted it. The beer was an orangish-brown. The citrusy, wheat-beer-ish aroma had me dreading the taste a bit, that’s why I gave the aroma lower marks. I caught a slight nuttiness in the aroma, but that could be my nose sucking. The taste was the best part of this beer, lightly sweet at first with plenty of that acidity I smelled, yet also with some soft and malty notes to tone it down. At the beginning of the finish, the sweetness returned (which was nice), and then it dried out into the acid wheat-beer finish I don’t particularly enjoy. Basically, it’s a citrusy, understated doppelbock, and probably the best wheat-based beer I can remember having tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
leaparsons (8650) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 4, 2004
Funny, I thought I had rated this before. I drink it often enough. This is lovely and dark with a big white head. Aromas are sweet chocolate malts and banana. Flavours are as rich - being banana, chocolate, lots of malts and bready yeast. A great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Metalhead (633) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - MAY 30, 2004
HUGE densely beaded tan head that took forever to calm down so I could drink it.Color of a TRUE dunkle weisse. Mild wheat but moderate chocolate,clove and (other spices?)mild banana. near perfect balance. Wait,I'm drinking this now,hmm,even hints of vanilla(?!).I’ve had a few bottles that were 4 years old and HOL-EE Schnikeys. Near heaven.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2004
I once wrote that even if you don’t like the style, you should be able to appreciate a good example of it. I was wrong. This is a 99 %ile beer and left me unimpressed. Dark brown with fleeting tan head. Some sweetness to the nose. Medium body. Unremarkable flavor. Sorry, WheatBeerians, this did nothing for me.