overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 2939   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 28, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2004 Re-rate 10/20/02: Changed some numbers, still same rating. explosive nose, rich taste. Almost like drinking a nutcake. If you consider the price when drinking beers, I'd dare say this is the best on the planet. Re-rate 4/24/02: Very strong alcohol aroma that knocked this down. Although I should be using a better glass. First ratings: If I lived in Germany, I would only drink this. Well, I'd drink Celebrator too...(12/13/01) I just gave this beer another point. I have a 100 beers in my cellar and I can't stop thinking about this beer that I CAN'T BUY IN NEW HAMPSHIRE!!! Aarrgghhh! 12-31-01: This beer is really good! It's aroma is enchanting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Aroma and taste is very estery and alcoholic. Nice fruits and malts in aroma- almost smells like a barleywine. Taste is sweet and smooth with some phenolic/wierd sweetness and slight hops. Head died too quickly and not quite enough carbonation. Could be a little too old- there was no date on the bottle but I don’t really think it went too bad. I think this is about the same as Victory’s Weizenbock, as far as overall impression, but I think if I had this fresh, then it would have gotten better ratings.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - OCT 28, 2002
[draught] This extremely nice coloured beer with a great head looks superb in the cool glasses. Unfortunately that’s all. Unpleasant alcoholic wheat aroma. Strong and bad taste of farmyard manure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
SilkTork (5121) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - OCT 28, 2002
Initially impressed. I’m not a fan of wheat beers or lagers (even dark ones), but this has loads of flavours bundled together in an attractively spicy package. The dark lagers (Bocks & Viennas) are more complex and flavoursome than Pilsner type lagers, though they seem to fall into the same trap as rose wine - being neither flesh, fish nor good red herring. This Aventinus, however, seems to pack quite a punch. There is, however, quite a lot going on for a thin bodied beer - too much for a simple refreshment which is what most thin bodied beers are good for. An interesting taste to accompany the lager is very pleasing, like a well strummed acoustic guitar, but a 32 piece jazz orchestra is a little too much. As I continued to drink I found that the orchestra was a little too intrusive, that there was not enough sweet malt body to comfort my increasingly tortured palate. The medicinal tastes began to overpower, and I started to feel I was in a hospital undergoing open throat surgery without enough anaesthetic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Spicy alcohol aroma.Layers of alchohol,chocolate,cloves and bananas.balanced bitter sweetness.Chocolate cordial finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Didn’t care for the banana notes. I much prefer the Weltenburger or Celebrator. Really, this is MUCH more like a wheat than a bock. On rerate, I think it is quite tasty. A VERY malty weisse.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5267) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 23, 2002
Dark brown color. Large creamy head. Malty spicy aroma with a touch of banana and clove. WOW. Big, bold beer.Banana and cloves moves to raisins, fruit, chocolate and citrus. Taste really grabs at you. Which is NOT a bad thing. Warming taste. Alcohol is evident, but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. NICE beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - OCT 22, 2002
I can’t believe I waited so long to try a beer of this type. Truely the best of both worlds. Aroma similar to a weisen with a healthy dose of banana, plus some extra goodies like clove, apricot, pear, and apple. And pleanty of ethanol. Lots of spice in the flavour: cloves, corriander, nutmeg. More bock like and less weise like in flavour. Some chocolate, apple. Nicely carbonated, smooth, rich, and creamy. A fascinating beer.

SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 20, 2002
Hazy brown, huge head. Big banana aroma with yeast and malt notes. Banana and chocolate flavor on a wheat base. I had this beer about 7 or 8 years ago, it’s good to drink it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nesta13 (205) - AUSTRALIA - OCT 20, 2002
Rerate: Well I’m glad I did get it again! Looks great (although not quite as good as that picture to the left...), dark maroon/brown with nice off white head. Aroma is strong malts and alcohol (but is not overwhelming). Flavour is beautiful: not too sweet and as Merc said, ’the best of both worlds’ (doppelbock and wheat). Clove, some weak esters, honey and molasses(sp?). Palate is almost perfect: as smooth as you would want with a nice little hop and alcohol bite. This could become a regular for me.</P>This is a great beer: full of sweet fruitiness and definately a strong clove finish. Great appereance and mouthfeel yet somehow I was expecting more... I’d still get it again though!