overall
Brewed by Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn
Style: Weizen Bock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 3008   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Deep and complex – for big and relaxing moments by the fire.

Dark-ruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. The ideal companion for hearty roast meat, venison and also fruity chocolate desserts, “Kaiserschmarrn” (pancakes), “Elisenlebkuchen” (christmas cookies) or blue cheese.

Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria. Since 1907. 18.5°

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (8841) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 4, 2002
UPDATED: APR 29, 2003 I was a little disappointed considering it's extremely high rating by others. I might have to give it another try. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every sip. A very hearty, strong bock/wheat beer. Not dissapointed in the beer. My expectations were unfairly high.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 13, 2002
This beer has a very nice, complex aroma when poured. It’s nice frothy head dies down quickly. It’s dark amber in color w/ a flavor of cloves w/ hints of banana. It’s a nice beer, but for my taste, it’s nothing too exciting. At $3US a bottle, I won’t get it again, not that it’s bad tasting, it doesn’t justify the cost for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUN 13, 2002
Two beer styles that the Germans do well combine for even better than the sum of the parts. Great foam on the pour, deep complex aromas. fruity yeastiness and cloves are very soothing and relaxing. Palte is syrupy smooth without getting too heavy. Rich and flavorful, deep sweet malt fruitiness blends well against a sour banana hefeweizen like finish with a touch of cloves.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
rich42 (128) - USA - JUN 11, 2002
a bit light for a doppelbock - but it has the strength. just the right amount of wheat - a bit of sour dryness - but not too much - prevents it from having that ’mouth of nothing but malt’ feel some doppelbocks suffer from. hopped about right with some spicy flavors. some fruity notes - but they’re subtle - not funky. very well balanced and easy to drink. color is a hazy dark amber. excellent beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUN 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2003 How this has changed since my first tasting! I bought this bottle at the same time and aged it for a year, it now seems a whole lot mellower than I remember, chocolate and banana, with a clean wheaty palate. Mild, finely bubbled and smooth it finishes really nicely.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jaymobrown (1649) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2002
Strong beer. Creamy, thick head. A nice murky amber glow. Sweet smell, with a bit of orange. High carbonation with a taste of malt. Surprisingly clean and fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jazz88 (2542) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Bottle. A dark golden amber color with a nice large head. A nice spice, clove, and banana flavor that is clean and crisp. It appropriately finishes quickly, making its punch but not overstaying its visit. A wonderful combination of the wheat and doppellbock, borrowing from the best of both worlds. I could almost think this was a Belgian.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAY 26, 2002
Fizzy at first. The eisbock version had more flavor and seemed more complex as this seemed more wheaty with less of the spiciness. And just like the eis, it was better as it warmed up in the glass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 20, 2002
I was a little dissapointed in this beer. The head was enormous, and the beer seemed way overcarbonated to me. The intensity of the fruity flavor threw me off at first but got better as the beer warmed or my tastebuds were numbed. I liked the maltyness but the yeasty-fruit flavor seemed overdone to me.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2003 Re-rate: Several recent samplings of this have shown that I didn't know a damn thing last time I had this. Wonderful clove and chocolate covered bananas soaked in alcohol. Sweet with occasional bits of bubblegum and a bit of yeast. Thick and wonderful. Something I plan to continue to drink regularly, especially as a nice summer beer. 5/8/2002 3.7: Certainly can't ignore the malty taste. Nice color to go with the flavor. Certainly worth the try.