overall

RATINGS: 84   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Ale with pumpkin flavor added.

HoppyKev's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
HoppyKev (50) - Redford, Michigan, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Beer pours golden color with good white head. Odd spicy smell, beer has average ale flavor and body with spices added seeming as an after thought. Not really pumpkin-y but does have pumpkin pie spices. This beer falls into the ya get what ya pay for class as it was only $5 at Trader Joes

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
hockeybeerguy (1496) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - JAN 16, 2014
Reviewed from notes. On tap at Sea Dog in Topsham, ME. In a pint glass, it shows a semi-clear golden yellow colored body with no head and once sipped no lacing whatsoever (no head, I won’t blame the bartender because they’re trying to give me my money’s worth). No carbonation is seen rising (this is interesting?). The aroma = nothing, not even the pumpkin, just plain bland (if water had a smell I guess this would smell like water). The taste had some pumpkin and that’s it, no other Autumn spices, huh?, well ok. On the palate, uh... it was super light (I was able to pound this within three minutes) yet nothing harsh on the tongue. Overall, ok, I wanted this and now I wish I never had it because this was, in my opinion, absolutely awful. As much water as I drank before this, I’m thinking this would have helped me have a clean palate and I think it still didn’t help. Now I don’t know what to think, I drank at least five glasses of water after this just so I could be able to review another beer. Personally, I think this beer needs to be retired or re-worked altogether.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Imaena (1791) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 29, 2013
Bottle. This is not a good pumpkin ale. Stick with one of the known quality varieties.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
HeistAlmighty (1111) - Saint John, New Brunswick, CANADA - SEP 23, 2011
3 oz. draft sample at Sea Dog in Bangor. Smell is pumpkin pie (pumpkin, nutmeg and grainy wheat for the crust). Sample came with no head, very little lacing. Colour was an odd off yellow, like white grape juice. Taste was mostly wheaty with some sweet malts, pumpkin and spices. None of the flavours were particularly dominant or overpowering. Light, almost oily body. Overall, nothing spectacular, but it was very drinkable unlike some heavier or stranger tasting pumpkin brews. Ok enough for a fun seasonal.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TATE (285) - Lubec, Maine, USA - SEP 12, 2011
On tap at the Sea Dog. Pours a deep amber color with little head. Aroma is funky and smells like a wet dog. Pumkin and spice flavor. Tastes the same and may be the same as Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Average at best. I guess I’ve had my fill of pumpkin beers for the season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
davidm (1928) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JAN 2, 2011
Tap at the brewery, served with brown sugar and cinnamon. Not bad. Aroma is floral. Taste is sweet, with average duration. Palate is oily, with a medium body. Yellow, bubbly, with a frothy head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thornecb (4291) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2009
Pours light amber into a shaker. White head quickly recedes to nothing. Nutmeg and pumpkin aromas. Sharp with sour pumpkin from front to back.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
simonbilyk (82) - Maine, USA - OCT 8, 2009
12oz. Mild aroma of nutmeg and ginger. Chalky bitterness and overpowering ’pumpkin pie flavor’. Doesn’t taste like real pumpkin (like banana vs. artificial banana). A seasonal offering should be something special, not a half hearted effort to grab some market share. Sorry, Sea Dog.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
altonbrownd (3766) - Brussels, BELGIUM - JAN 16, 2009
Bottle at Carlyle’s on, when else, Halloween. Very sweet with overpowering pumpkin flavor. Not really my thing. I notice others felt it didn’t have enough. Not really my flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
mgermani (1000) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 5, 2009
Pours a very bright gold-tinged yellow with no head to speak of. Fresh ginger aroma, sweet and pungent. Not bad! Tastes a bit odd, taste is quite bitter to start, opens up into sweet cereal & spice finish. Alcohol, nutmeg. Good carbonation but body a bit thin. Odd taste, fresh but damp hoppy taste diminishes from overall impression. Thanks to jjpm74 for the trade!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 17, 2008
6 pack of 12oz bottles for the 3rd and final McCain/ Obama debate. This tastes like beer with no hops and tons of nutmeg and cinnamon. This is liquid pumpkin pie. This might be the most bland of the pumpkin ales that I have had.