Selins Grove Bourbon St. Fillans Wee Heavy

Selins Grove Bourbon St. Fillans Wee Heavy
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 4.26/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MadIndian (2385) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2012
Dear God this is heaven. A very complex beer that just seems to get it right without over doing. A pleasant blend of smoke, roast, wood, vanilla , earth, and caramel malts. Wow A TASTY EXPLOSION.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sonnycheeba (3562) - Federal Hill, Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 4, 2012
Draft. Pours clear reddish-brown with a trace of creamy off-white head; short retention and minimal lacing. Aroma is sour fruit, alcohol, cookie malt, and earthy notes. Flavor is heavy sweet malt, light earthy hops, heavy dark fruit esters, and alcohol undertones throughout. Full body, low carbonation, and high warmth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (9701) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - FEB 2, 2012
Tap. Pours clear tawny with a small, fizzy off-white head, short retention with spare lacing. Aroma is caramel and cookie malt, bourbon, vanilla, oak and earthy notes with dark fruity esters. Flavor is malt dominant with bourbon, oak and vanilla, dark fruity esters, no hops or bitterness with a spicy and dry finish. Full body, medium warmth and carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
orangesol (853) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2011
Finally found my notes for this one lurking under the seat in my car. It really is a black hole down there. Served on cask into a goblet. A - Pours deep brown, with light copper notes around the edges, with a creamy one finger tall beige colored head leaving spotty lacing down the glass. S - Smells of rich toffee, overly sweet caramel malt, vanilla, warm bourbon, and a touch of dry oak. It is quite sweet smelling but the bourbon helps to cut that down a bit as it warms to room temperature. T - Starts off with a huge blast of sugary sweetness. Hints of toffee, caramel, and butterscotch dance on the pallet throughout each sip. As the sweetness begins to die down you begin to feel the light burn of the warm bourbon barrel and it dries the pallet out, but only till the sweetness ramps back up. The finish is a mix of sugary sweetness and light bourbon heat, lingering for some time. This is a sipper for sure. M - Medium-Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Quite sweet; but not to the point of being cloying; feel becoming a bit thin toward the end. A mix of sweetness and light bourbon heat in the finish, lingering for some time. O - Having had the wee heavy a few times before this version I though I knew what I was getting myself into, I did not. This was a dream to drink. It was very sweet but the bourbon heat helped to keep things in check. Easily the best barrel aged beer I have had from SGBC to date.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeMcPhee (8410) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 24, 2010
Ruddy-amber pour. The nose is softly fruity with undertones of vanilla and sweet bourbon. Rich and chewy with the bourbon really contributing a lot of soft flavour without a lot of booziness. Toffeeish base. Soft yet multilayered sweetness with toffee, caramel, vanilla and even a kiss of maple in there. The use of the barrel shows a pretty delicate hand, which is nice to see.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Glouglouburp (6022) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 7, 2010
In short: Caramelized Jack Danielís with a bit of carbonation. Barely a beer.
How: Cask at brewpub
The look: Clear amber body with no head to speak of
In long: First thing first, the aroma was a throw back to my youth. Within a few seconds of smelling it I said ďthis smells like Jack DanielísĒ. Then local ratebeerian Jason (aka kramer) who was at my table told me he was told this was indeed aged in Jack Danielís barrels. I donít see it in the description. Not important. Even if it is not Jack Danielís barrels, it smells EXACTLY like Jack Danielís. I spent a good part of my youth drinking that stuff and I can recognize that perfumy JD character. Taste is more of the same. This tastes more like caramelized Jack Danielís with a tiny bit of carbonation than a barrel aged beer. The beer was totally overtaken by the Jack Danielís barrel (still assuming this is indeed Jack Danielís barrel). Syrupy body. Very sweet. Alcohol is apparent, it even feels more than the 9%. Some dark fruits, some toffee. Overall it is not bad (assuming you love Jack Danielís) but the current rating average (4.47 before my rating!!!!) says it is one of the best beer on the planet. Allow me to disagree. That a beer that tastes like bourbon gets high rating is not surprising on ratebeer, but there is plenty of better whiskies than Jack Danielís out there. A fun beer over-the-top drink that reminded me of my youth when I was all ďScrew the system!Ē. Now I earn my life upgrading the system.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tgncc (2819) - Bellmore, New York, USA - AUG 16, 2010
OMG!! This beer is awesome! Gorgeous aroma of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, earth. The flavor is exactly the same. The finish is bourbon booze warming, piney hops. Medium/thick in body. Deep brown, cola color. Awesome beer. I wish I could have tken this with me in a growler, but since it was on the beer engine, I couldnít. Actually, I wish I lived near this place.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerapprentice (207) - Hopatcong, New Jersey, USA - AUG 12, 2010
Pours a mahogany colour with a ruby red tint and small cream coloured head. †Aroma of whiskey, malt, sweet dark fruits. Smooth flavour of sweet malt, dark fruit and whiskey.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kramer (4994) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 9, 2010
On handpump, at brewery. Pours a clear dark amber to ruby body with a beautiful one inch tight bubbled creamy beige head. The nose is full of vanilla and a light wood note, thick caramel, and sweet toffee. A light touch of alcohol. Not overly bourbon smelling. The flavor is so smooth and easy drinking, the hops are almost gone from the base beer, leaving great vanilla, toffee, and thick caramel to take the lead. Really well hidden alcohol. Great subtle bourbon flavor without all the boozy flavors that many beers like this can get. Mouthfeel is smooth, velvety, and full without any stickiness or clinginess. Perfect soft cask conditioning. Pretty great beer. This beer totally transformed in the barrel to something amazing, the regular version is one of my lesser liked regular beers from Selins Grove. One of the most dramatic changes in a beer Iíve had from bourbon barrel aging.

fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2010
on cask at the brewpub. Pours dark brown, thin off white head that laced quite well the length of the glass. The aromas wafting off the glass are out of this world. Sweet oak, maple syrup, light bourbon, toasted malt. Smells absolutely delicious. Flavor is so complex. This is a sweet beer, but there is tons going on. Sweet caramel malt, toasted nuts, layers of wood, oak, maple. Sticky consistency, soft carbonation from the cask. This is just out of this world! Nice wee heavy complimented so well with the barrel. AMAZING, I would not change a single aspect of this beer, therefore, my first 5.