Shepherd Neame Master Brew Mild

Brewed by Shepherd Neame
Style: Mild Ale
Faversham, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.08/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.45   EST. CALORIES: 93   ABV: 3.1%
Keg and nitro keg as Smooth Mild.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wheresthepath (1621) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAY 27, 2011
[Keg at Wrotham Arms, Broadstairs] Black with a moderate cream head. Chocolate dominates with a hint of metal. Itís very thin, but surprisingly drinkable; I was surprised to find myself rather enjoying this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
berkshirejohn (4679) - Bracknell, Berkshire, ENGLAND - JUL 24, 2007
Keg at the Globe Inn, Hythe.Black/brown in colour with a thin off-white head; slightly spicy aroma with some dark fruit; dry, fruity and smooth to drink, but extremely cold; coffee finish as it warmed. Unexceptional, but pleasant.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
HarryFlashman (469) - Chatham, Kent, ENGLAND - MAY 21, 2007
I sampled this little number at the Bear Inn in Faversham. A nice quaint, stereotypical market town pub. Stout dark brown/black in colour and sickly sweet in a sweak as dishwater way. Not too much good to say about it really - probably one of Sheps poorest contribution to humanity.

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
SilkTork (5278) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - APR 16, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2006 Keg at <a href=http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/28/285 Inn, Faversham
Iíve been after this beer for some time. I visited the brewery in 2004, only to be told they had stopped serving it in the Tap from the previous week. I was told it was mainly on sale in working menís clubs, but that the Chimney Boy did have it. So off I went with a mad American who was also keen on trying the Mild. But the pub was shut for the afternoon. I looked through the window and could see it on the bar, but I couldnít get to it. Every time I was in Faversham after that I would check to see if The Boy was open. No.

Then, in early 2005, Chrissie and I were making our way to the Dover Beer Fest and we had an hour wait to change trains in Faversham. Time to check out The Boy again. Hurrah! The place was open. But I couldnít see the Mild. I asked the landlady and she told me she had stopped it the previous month because only one old boy drank it, and he only came in once a week, so it wasnít worth keeping it on. Damn.

Today we are wandering around Faversham. I wasnít even thinking about the Mild. I wasnít thinking about scooping at all. We come upon an ancient pub that I had often passed in the car but never stopped at. Curiosity took us inside. And there, listed on an ancient and somewhat faded font, is Steinbock - a Shepís lager Iíd been after for a while, and - loud trumpet blast - Master Brew Mild. Two rare scoops at the same time. The Master Brew font name is also used in The Anchor, but I donít know if the name is Mild or Master Brew Mild, as these fonts are quite old. Anyway, I grabbed my chance and somewhat boldly and foolishly asked for a pint. The beer was not in good condition - obviously not popular here either. I had to struggle through the pint. Some roast barley flavour, some fizz, and some vinegar from being in the keg since the brewery was founded.

Not a good experience - and certainly not worth a two year hunt! But - I have my rare scoop!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
chriso (7428) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 5, 2004
Shepherd Neameís mild is not often seen and is rarely, if ever, available in cask. The colour is very dark brown, almost opaque. Thereís not much aroma, but it was served very cold. Sweet malt flavour with some licorice and fruit coming through as it warmed. The mouthfeel was rather thin and watery. Innocuous but surprisingly pleasant for a keg beer. Tap (keg) at the Chimney Boy, Faversham.