overall

RATINGS: 120   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.81   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Handcrafted from two special varieties of hops and a blend of rich imported malts to make this the darkest lager possible.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - SEP 17, 2007
This brew is very light amber in color with a fizzy, foamy head when poured. The aroma is malty, light, with a bit of hops. The taste is sweeter than I expected, and more hoppy as well with some malty notes. Initially, I liked this one quite a bit. However, after one bottle it seemed to become thinner and more watery. I’m sure it was just me, but I didn’t enjoy it as much after the first. The finish was pretty typical Shiner, but more dry than the Bock. I liked it, but I doubt I buy it again. If I buy any Shiner brew it will be Bock.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Headbanger (3306) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - SEP 15, 2007
12oz bottle-A light amber body iwth a huge white head and an aroma of malt, toffee, and slight hops. Taste of sweet malt and more sweetness with a somewhat dry finish. Not bad but not good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
wshores (58) - Saltillo, Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2007
good for the style, but it is not my favorite style. I did buy it again though

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bmw182tx (2) - Grapevine, Texas, USA - SEP 5, 2007 does not count
I enjoy this beer...but I like the bock better...there is a slight after taste with the 98 that I could do without, but thats just me

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - SEP 4, 2007
may be the best thing to come from shiner. just some basic malt and hops notes. metallic. leaves you thirsty. feels like not much alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HueyBryan (40) - Rotan, Texas, USA - SEP 4, 2007
I enjoyed this one also, I wish they would keep this one in the lineup. It had a great flavor from start to finish. It went excellent with the steaks I grilled. It has a tad more flavor than the others, but in a good way. There are hints of caramel and the hops really do fit in nicely in this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
pojo41 (315) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle. Nice copper color with good white head and pretty decent lacing on glass. Faint hop aroma mixed with biscuit. Pretty good mouthfeel. Flavor of sweet malt and biscuit with a touch of citrus from the hops. Overall, a pretty decent offering for Shiner’s 98th birthday.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - SEP 2, 2007
Pours a dirty copper amber color with a fizzy medium head. Aroma has plenty of toast and toffee, but there’s a nice hint of pepper and plants, showing that occasionally Shiner does display hop character in their beers! Taste is sufficiently toasty and caramelly, a slight bitterness is there, finishes a little drier and even breadier tasting, as if the toast got cooked a little more. Decent bitter character lingers for a short while. Flavorful hop aftertaste, compared to other Shiner beers. I was also surprised by how nice the mouthfeel was. I expected it to be prickly and annoying, but it was really smooth and appropriately carbonated. A good beer to have after work.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GlenVargas (141) - Missouri, USA - SEP 1, 2007
I was actually impressed by the Shiner 98 (based upon the quality of Shiner’s other beers). It’s got a nice amber hue (true to its name) and a sturdy egg shell head. I thought it had some similar characteristics of an IPA (hoppy bitterness, that kinda soapy texture and aroma, a little caramel), but toned down of course. Still, this was a drinkable, dare I say enjoyable, brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bradmccarroll (57) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - AUG 31, 2007
Average strength aroma of malts. Pours a deep amber with a medium textured offwhite head. Its flavor is initially malty, with some hop spiciness coming through as it covers the tongue. Medium body, the finish leaves hints of roasted malts behind.