overall

RATINGS: 1838   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.41%
Is a distinctive, rich, full-flavored, deep amber-colored beer with an inviting smooth taste without excessive bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Terminus (3544) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 31, 2003
well, there you have it, the most common session brew here in new mexico without bud/miller/coors crap. pretty boring, but none the less, when its the best thing alot of bars have on tap, i go for it

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2003
This bock pours a clear, dark, ruby red color with a rapidly dissipating, thin white head. The aroma is faint with a touch of malts and caramel. It has a light body with lively carbonation and a crisp mouthfeel. The flavor is only slightly malty up front, with nothing in the finish. Overall, avery bland and tasteless beer that needs some more malt to make it a true bock. Unimpressed.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Perceptron (32) - USA - AUG 25, 2003
After reading through the ratings for this beer it seems as though all the 5 stars are based on Texas people: "wooohoo Texas yeah! Right on!" While all the lowest reviews actually talk about the aroma, taste, etc. Shiner has an undeniable flaked corn aroma with little barley malt and no hop presence. When I initially moved to Dallas in 1993 I was 23 and I liked this stuff. We had a kegerator in our apartment and went through 3 kegs in a row. After that I could not stand the sight or smell of the stuff. Now, years later when I can discern flavors (and that I care too) I find it very similar to any BudMillerCoors offering with a handful of medium crystal malt thrown in for color. Shiner is a mystique beer though and is sought after by people who do not get it (pun intended). North Texas be dammed. We have the highest crime, most polluted air, and crappiest regional beer. We are indeed, number one.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 20, 2003
This is supposed to be a bock? Anyway, it is very thin-bodied, and not very malty at all. I would say it is much more wheaty and yeasty than anything else.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FtWorthBrew (105) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Shiner should be the offical beer of Texas. If you can find it outside of Texas try one. Heavier than most beers in its price range. Malty caramel flavor makes it unique. A must-try!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2003
It's like the Yeungling of Texas. It not that good but its not bad its just home and its everywhere.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jsquire (4106) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2003
Deep amber color with big bubbles and no head to speak of. Sweet, malty nose. Flavor is mostly malt, with lots of caramel sweetness. It is a little watery, but that makes it all the more chuggable. Not a great beer, but I can drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BBB63 (6543) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 12, 2003
My "reminds me of Texas" beer. The Lone Star state's session beer, okay on a hot summer day for it is moderately refreshing and not very filling. Light amber hue with minimal head retention. Candy malt and zesty hop aroma. Taste is rather bland but not offensive. Thin to medium-bodied with a watery and lively mouthfeel. Like I stated, an session beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
notalush (5707) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Can someone say "the bud of bocks?" - because I sure can - I had this in a country music bar, which naturally made me want to get drunk as quickly as possible, but I could stilll hardly bring myself to drink this stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (10557) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Pleasantly surprised! Crystal clear mohogany lager. Small, fizzy white head. The aroma is very vineous and tart. Lemon and cabernet. Smells a bit like a geueze, actually. Malty flavor with bold shots of beef broth and tawny port. A touch tart and astringent. Well-balanced. Medium-bodied with a silky mouthfeel and fizzy carbonation. Short, dry finish with a touch of clover. I guess I'll go way against the grain here and say that I really dig this beer!