overall

RATINGS: 1829   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.41%
Is a distinctive, rich, full-flavored, deep amber-colored beer with an inviting smooth taste without excessive bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (10523) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Pleasantly surprised! Crystal clear mohogany lager. Small, fizzy white head. The aroma is very vineous and tart. Lemon and cabernet. Smells a bit like a geueze, actually. Malty flavor with bold shots of beef broth and tawny port. A touch tart and astringent. Well-balanced. Medium-bodied with a silky mouthfeel and fizzy carbonation. Short, dry finish with a touch of clover. I guess I'll go way against the grain here and say that I really dig this beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Thick sticky looking off-white head. Medium brownish-red to copper color. Very light on body. Now, I've been under the horrible misconception for years that a bock was close to a stout in style: dark, thick, full bodied, etc. Can't explain how it happened, but I'm set straight now. Also, I'd had some not-so-great beers on the same night I had this, and my initial reaction (when combined with my lack of knowing what a real bock should be) was that this wasn't all that bad. A little time and consideration made me realize that it wasn't all that good either. I've since questioned how much better it really is from Bud, but I have none left to do a side-by-side comparison. Maybe it's for the best.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 5, 2003
Sorry I tried this one. I've had a hate, hate relationship with bananas since I was a child. Something to do with ear infection medication. And Banana was the first thing I smelled with this one. it also had hints of caramel and coffe but I had a real hard time with the few sips that I had. This ones not makin it into my house again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2003
Nice carmel color, with week scent of malt; thin body little taste; left no real impression...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2004 Pours an amber orange with a very small white head. Wet cardboard aroma, nonexistent taste and watery mouthfeel. Perhaps the worst bock that I've ever tasted. Much better than budcoorsmiller.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2003
Clearish coppery brown with small top of ivory colored foam that doesn't last, lace in minimal spotty fashion. Smell is mostly caramel with a bit of molasses, soft & plain malty nose thats fair but not moderate. Taste is a thinnish caramel malt with a toffee or molasses hinting in some bigger sips, but it really lacks a good flavor punch. Its just enough to take notice but not enough to enjoy really, kinda bland for a bock. Feel is a diluted mess thats a bit watered down and thin for a bock as well. Not much to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2003 A fairly bland beer and therefore not much of a bock. However, it is drinkable in a pinch and superior to the usual macro suspects.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
haddon90 (1602) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - JUL 13, 2003
I'm very used to Amber Bock. But this isn't too bad. A nice dark pour and a good smooth taste. Not quite a bock but it's still a good beer to drink on a warm sunny day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 7, 2003
I think that the brewers at Shiner Bock need to slam on the breaks, because this beer has been going down hill for the past several years. I really don’t see how this is a bock beer? This beer has a watery palate, and traces of honey, malt, & caramel, in the aroma and flavor. This is not really a quality beer but it is a decent brew to drink for mass consumption.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Out of all the crappy piss-water beers, I'd have to say this is the best. That isn't saying much though. This beer is thin, watery, has practically no head, and not much aroma. The aroma I do get is not very strong, and seems to be mostly malt - little in the way of hops. You can find something better.