overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 342   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.53   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 149   ABV: 4.98%
“Kosmos Spoetzl knew how to brew great beer. Born in Bavaria, Kosmos’ mastery of German brewing carried him as far as Egypt before he found his way to the small Texas town of Shiner. Our proud brewery still carries his name and commitment to excellence in brewing. This full-flavored, hop-jacked lager is every bit as unique as the man himself and our way of saluting the brewmaster who started it all.”

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
yinzerbeernut (180) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2009
Light amber and sparkling clear. White head that disappears rapidly. Not much on nose but a hint of grass/straw. Light bodied and not much character or finish for a ’reserve’ beer. Expected much more.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
aenimopiate (176) - The United States of Texas, Texas, USA - JUL 15, 2009
Everything about this beer is bringing up just one word to me, no matter what I try to think of differently to describe it: coppery. It looks coppery, it smells coppery, and God help me, it tastes coppery. I just hope coppery is a word.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
AKThunder (166) - New York, USA - NOV 27, 2013
I wish I could say more about this, but yeah, it is either a maltier version of their lager or a lighter version of their bock. Not sure...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gizmo_ber (157) - - MAY 11, 2012
Was a little concerned at first as it smelled of hops, and the dry aged hops note on the bottle wasn’t helping. I’m not a hop fan, but this one is not as strong on hops as I thought it may be. In fact it’s mild in all flavors. Not bad, but not a whole lot going on.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
agent_511 (157) - - JUL 20, 2012
Pours gold with a moderate white head and sparkling body. Some bread in the aroma. Tastes like a higher bodied pilsner style beer with very mild hop bitterness and almost no hop aroma or flavor with a slight acidic finish. An enjoyable medium bodied lighter beer. Aroma: bread Appearance: golden, clear, sparkling, mild white foam Taste: lightly bitter, lightly sour Palate: medium body, soft carbonation, acidic finish

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
HoppyAlesToYou (156) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - JUL 28, 2009
Initial impression from the pour does not impress, as there is not much aroma and little head retention. The first sip reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Boston Lager, but that quickly fades as the long malty finish disappoints. There is a touch of sweetness to this medium bodied clear amber lager, but it leaves me wanting for more. While it may be a better alternative to the mass market lagers, I’ll not pursue it again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
hoju777 (145) - FRANCE - JUN 28, 2014
More beer from my trip to the Amarillo liquor store. Smells and tastes like skunked Shiner Bock. How disappointing. This is the peril of slighly less low expectations.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jason1970 (143) - Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2012 Nothing special. I started out thinking what a great bargain the Shiner Family Reunion 12-pack was at $9. But having tasted 4 out of the 6 beers included and being overwhelmingly disappointed with each, I’m rethinking my bargain. This was as lackluster as all the others. As a matter of fact, besides the hefeweizen which at least tasted different, all their beers taste virtually the same. Mediocrity would be the one word I use to describe my Shiner experience so far. They are all drinkable and go down easy, but there is no "there" there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
boomerbrew (143) - Texas, USA - MAY 3, 2010
12 oz. bottle - Nice roasty, even toasty malt aroma. Clear golden color with creamy off white head. Good head retention not much activity after a while. Decent tastes and hops were more noticible after warming up. A little hoppy aftertaste remains on the back of the palate. Overall a good blend.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Tabednar (139) - - JUN 23, 2012
Not a bad lager at all. I don’t like that you could only get it in the reunion pack but I though it was a nice change to their staple beers...