overall

RATINGS: 558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle and keg: Filtered; Cask: Unfiltered.
Introduced August 1993.
Ingredients: British pale ale malt; Crystal, Chocolate and Black malts; Roasted barley; Warrior, Cascade, Tettnang, Goldings hops; warm fermenting English yeast.
OG 1052
A slightly stronger Guinness copy with a deep, almost black body and a creamy white head that is always pleasing to drink. Blue Fin Stout is brewed and bottled according to tradition with only premium, high quality ingredients.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - FEB 9, 2007
Very distinctive aroma that drew me into wanting to take the next step. Dry but a nice smooth finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BobbyAnalog (334) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 27, 2010
A malted milk ball head forms, thick and sudsy on top, with a caramel color lacing. Below the foam that ices the top of the beer, the color is squid-ink black. The flavor, however, is pretty atypical of the sweet, syrupy consistency and mouthfeel of good stouts. This Shipyard take on the stout style is much too mellow and housetrained to be rich and robust. Itís almost as if someone poured water, in a half-empty glass of beer, to fill it to the top. Do I want runny beer thatís devoid of richness? Meh, probably not. Not atrocious, but a poor manís representation of a great style of beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jon112981 (327) - Bristow, Virginia, USA - JAN 24, 2005
Black color. Half inch of brownish head. Mild aroma of chocolate malt. Faint smell and taste of coffee. Very smooth and easy to drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Bungalo22 (326) - Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA - MAR 11, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2008 Pours midnight black with a slight aroma of roast. The body is medium to light-medium and not at all what the color leads you to believe it will be but perhaps it is what the aroma does. It just underpowers and is not my definition of a true full body stout. I have a deep fondess for Shipyard as I lived in Portland for a long time but I will stick the rest of their line and drink my stouts elsewhere. Perhaps I have too high an expectation for a stout due to my love of Imperial stouts. This will end up as a mid-level stout in my ratings. Very drinkable and enjoyable but no real mmmm moment. Re-rate: Had this one up in Maine it was much sharper than when I had it in Conn. Head was better, aroma had more chocolate and it felt more full bodied. I upped it on palate and overall impression.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
seth_lfod (325) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 29, 2013
From the bottle. Appears to be jet black. Smell is slight roast, old coffee and cocoa. Taste is old coffee, cocoa, dark fruits, raisins. Clean finish. Decent stout.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2002
hint of coffee my arse. Coffee like a shovel to the back of the head. I tried it on tap at the brewery and thought it was way too coffee then, but decided to give it a second shot out of the bottle. Just as bad. However, the bottle did have an interesting smokey flavour to it, slightly salty. Maybe if I didnít think coffee was so vile I would like this beer a little more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
joeymacaroni (309) - Wagontown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2010
pours deep brown/black with a thin tan head. nose of molasses, coffee, chocolate, smoke, wood, and leather. flavor is malty, with coffee, chocolate, leather, and wood. long, bitter finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TrevorFloyd (309) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Despite a gentle pour the head on this thing just went crazy, and I had to spend minutes just waiting for it to die down before I could try pouring some more. Overall it tasted good, with dry chocolate flavors with a slightly bitter finish, but it was a little too close to Guinness for me to be impressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beeebon (308) - Cornwall, ENGLAND - APR 4, 2014
£1 for a bottle from Morrisons, canít really go wrong for that! I have tried Shipyard IPA which I was less than impressed by! This is a nice stout, nothing too special but certainly drinkable and smooth. I reckon Iíll get a few more in!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mighty_meadow (303) - Kilwinning, SCOTLAND - FEB 27, 2014
Bargain at £1per bottle from Morrisonís. Looks like Guinness. Smells a bit like Guinness. Probably tastes slightly better than Guinness. Very chocolate(y), coffee(ish) and malty. Lovely!