overall

RATINGS: 706   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
The Shipyard Brewing Company's flagship beer, is a full bodied ale, with a hint of sweetness up front, a subtle and distinctive hope taste, and a very clean and traditional finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 17, 2002
Average ale nothing special drinkable

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
leaparsons (8415) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - AUG 17, 2002
Floral hops to start, then a pleasant hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste doesnt hang around for long. Middling.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 23, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 (BB 1/03) Big head that falls fast. The aroma is spicy and yeasty. In my opinion ringwood yeast overpowers many beers and this is one example. Light body. Ample hops. The finish is yeasty and bitter. An average beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 19, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2004 Hazy golden color with a small white frothy head that doesn’t last long. Bready, buttery aromas, has bready, grainy and butterscotch flavors, it is light to medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel, finishes a bit sour, not all that great, glad I only bought a single bottle.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MartinT (8236) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
Why don’t they just export this one and keep it out of view?…

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - JUL 1, 2002
I just did not pick up anything other than a dry hop finish. A very mainstrem brew with more pronounced hop finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pilsnerrogge (2554) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 28, 2002
medium bodied, somewhat roasted flavour, nice hoppy bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 15, 2002
What austinpowers said, only more so. Tasted like a slightly heavier-bodied, just a bit hoppier American standard to me. Or Heineken. Sour off taste of the sample I had and overall high marks here lead me to believe my sample could’ve been off because of bad tap lines or something; but I suspect my rating wouldn’t rise all THAT much anyway. The first of many new beers I just sampled on a 6-day trip up the coasts of Maine and NH, and a disappointment; thankfully, I would make up for it soon..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 28, 2002
To me, the term ’Export Ale’ has come to mean hoppy, crisp beer that I don’t particularly like. This beer does nothing to dispel that perception. This may indeed be Shipyard Brewing’s ’flagship’ beer, but I suggest they move the flag. Perhaps to a non-rancid, over-hopped beer as soon as possible.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20