overall

RATINGS: 352   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Prelude Special Ale is full-bodied in the true English Style. Itís a rich and nutty ale with a hoppy finish and an inviting deep amber hue. Available November-December.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
viverlee (18) - - FEB 26, 2013

Thereís no way itís just 6.7% ABV. I wonít believe it.

Hereís a simple rule, for Winter Warmers, Doubles, Imperials and other Strong Ales: Beer shouldnít sear your nostrils or your mouth. Whatís really at fault here are my expectations and the thought that hereís supposed to be a warming booziness. Instead for some reason itís cold. Real cold that shoots straight from the glass up the nose and doesnít improve with the first or second sip.

Toffee, pomegranate juice and rubbing alcohol mix awkwardly in a fine mahogany glaze.

Itís Chimay PremiŤre without the distribution or the flavor.

Beeradvocate Rating: 85

ratebeer Rating: 73

Hayward Abbey Rating: 72

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ALavery03 (16) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 17, 2010
This is an outstanding winter brew. Somewhat sweet, malty, spicy, and I picked up a bit of nuttiness in it. Really smooth, decent carbonation but not too much that it deters from the beer. Looking forward to when this comes out this year so I can enjoy Prelude once again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PisskyNight (13) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 10, 2004
Tis the Season...itís still Xmas rite? Appearance: Dark Molasses hue with a large full inch off white head....which settles to a nice cm layering Smell: Red wine and Bourbon Malts...nutmeg Tatste: similar to the smell uprfont ...man as this warms it just really shows some great depth....its more complex than my initial though...sweet honey hops...suttle molasses notes....various dark fruits ...hmm... hints of nutmeg and cloves as well..great smoothness....highly drinkable Notes: Just a great offering...yum

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
WestsideThreat (13) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 30, 2006
Looks a bit like a Marzen. Reddish brown hue. Crystal clear. Bubbles in the slightly tan head are too big...this head wonít be lasting long. Actually, by the time I had taken a sip the head was almost gone. Might be ok for this style though. Thin wisp of head has remained thru the beer but no brussels lace. I like the aroma of this beer. Slight hint of the alcohol its hiding within. Slightly malty and fruity. I get a sense of strawberries, maybe prunes. First sip is very bitter, more bitter than I expected... thats my first impression. Needs to warm up, the maltiness hasnít blossomed yet. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, bit astringent on the tongue. Sweetness of the beer matches up well with the aroma, but not as malty as I thought it would be. Iím getting essence of hazelnuts with roasted coffee. As it warms up, the true personality of the beer comes out. Bitterness subsides a bit and the alcohol sweetness shines thru. Very prevelent on the tip of the tongue. Aftertaste is roasted malt on the sides and back of tongue with a full track of bitterness down the center/back of the tongue. Overall: Beer is a bit unbalanced but quite tasty. Too many bittering hops and not enough floral. I would have prefered more hop nose to balance the aftertaste, or less bittering hops to balance the sweet nose. Bit too thin for my tastes. But I do love winter beers and cherish any experience I can have with one Iíve never encountered. Its a cold weather beer, it fits the style well. Overall a decent beer, thanks for sending this out Wilked.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DavidO (10) - Potomac, Maryland, USA - JUN 3, 2007
I did not really care for this beer, other than a sour taste, there was very little to note other than I did not spit it out. May have to try this again in case I just got a bad batch.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 17/20
MattHimself (7) - USA - DEC 6, 2006 does not count
Had this on tap at Federal Jackís in Kennebunkport, ME. When it came to me it had no head, but a rich amber color. The aroma is hoppy with a hint of spices, which I cannot distinguish. The mouth feel is much like an IPA. It is hearty, and quite hoppy, but very tasty. However, the alcohol content, while not high, seems to taste higher to me, which is not a plus. However, for me that the only real downside to this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
gregorydeal (6) - butler, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2012 does not count
Beer poured with a nice thick head. Dark, and nice malty flavor. Carbonated appropriately. Good mouthfeel, good beer. For a winter warmer in summer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
palantides77 (5) - USA - JUL 10, 2009 does not count
Oh gods of delicious beer, bring christmas time quickly so I may enjoy this delicious treat once more! Excellent for caroling!

1.2
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
buffdaddy102399 (4) - Orono, Maine, USA - JAN 30, 2002 does not count
Very nasty aftertaste was not impressed compared to the rest of shipyard aleís.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
triodemike (3) - Pittsfield, Maine, USA - DEC 7, 2007 does not count
Has a nutty flavor, slightly sweet, much better than some of the othe nutty browns