overall
Serve in

RATINGS: 94   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Sho Chiku Bai means "Pine Bamboo Plum". Ginjo is a special reserve connoisseur class of sake. Most sakes are brewed with rice that has been milled 30%. For our Ginjo we use rice that is polished over 50%. Additionally, we use a special strain of yeast that allows for fermentation at a cooler temperature. The result of the slower, longer process is a silky-smooth, rich and fruity flavor. Known as "The Frosty Bottle", one of the top selling Ginjyo Sake in the U.S.. Kosher Certified.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2008
300ml - Served out of the fridge. I also allowed it to warm to compare cold and warm and preferred the cold. Less of a bite when drank. Aroma is sweet sugar cane, lime zest, alcohol and coconut. Clear. Flavor is grainy sweet rice and alcohol. Very warming in the belly and quick to the head. Palate is sticky but clean. This was my first sake.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JAN 17, 2008
From 375 ml bottle, served chilled. Very pale straw shade with a hint of green. Peach, pineapple, banana, floral, and other tropical fruit aroma. Peach, pineapple, and apple flavours with a pleasant fruity and milky acidity and alcohol finish. Medium bodied, very smooth and almost free of any alcoholic roughness – just a touch of burn on the finish. Pleasant and easy drinking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SudsMcDuff (6659) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - OCT 13, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2007 Cantaloupe, licorice, and rice Aroma’s ... alot of flavours alike in the smell, some coconut too ........ Clear as water .. nice and sweet ... "deeeelightful" ... a quality sake it appears .. even MsCoop liked it! a people pleaser... Had warm at a sushi place, is damn drinkable, smooth, alcohol and heat warm the stomach, a very nice sake! and the first time for sushi was quite pleasant too ..rock’n + dynamite tuna!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2007
Served a bit warmer than fridge temp. Rated at room temp. Light plum, pineapple, rosewater aroma. Fresh steamed chinese rice. I just dipped my nose in it by mistake. Didn’t do anything to my nose. That’s good. Appearance is completely clear, which is why I dipped my nose in it. I couldn’t see it. Where did my sake go?

Took a sip from the cup and there was still sake in there. That’s nice. Ricey and kind of thick, bamboo flavors. A bit of a harsh bite towards the finish though and this has warmed it lost that. Not bad, but not exciting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
obguthr (4427) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JUL 24, 2007
My first sake, so I’m not sure what to look for. Aroma is alcohol, berries, butter, and honey. Pours clear like water, but a bit thicker. Tastes strongly of cantaloupe. Carboard finish, with some kiwi fruit notes. I doubt I will drink sake again as it seems too similar to flavored vodka. I basically only like beer and cider, but I can enjoy mead and wine when I’m in the right mood. Everything else is unappealing to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - JUL 6, 2007
300mL bottle. Pours like perfectly clear water; slightly viscous with nice legs. Generous rice and warm doughy notes in the aroma, with a minimal show of alcohol. Pleasant mouthfeel at first, with some warming alcohol and vanilla notes at the forefront; the alcohol presence takes on a larger role mid-palate, along with toasted rice and dough. Ends in a soft, warming finish, with the presence of alcohol fading into the background. Mid-palate is a bit rough.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2007
Clear as water (how do you rate appearance of water?) Drank it chilled. Aroma was rice, vodka, flowers, light pear. Flavor was on the sweet side, with a decent alcohol burn. Smooth and fruity. Good with spicy sushi.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 11, 2007
Served warm at Takanami in Iowa City. Clear and colorless. Smelled of honey, plum, apple, and a bit of vodka. Sweet on the tongue with flavors of honey, rose hips, candy apple, and alcohol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 7, 2007
This is the first sake I’ve reviewed. It was served warm at a sushi bar from a teapot into little ceramic cups. It appeared clear with no carbonation. Aroma was lightly sweet and fruity, but very faint. Flavor was smooth somewhat buttery with some fruity esters (peach?). Mouthfeel was a bit thin, and this was not extremely satisfying to drink...it didn’t satiate me. I was pleased with the experience of drinking this, and would like to get some additional sake sampling for a better perspective. However, I would recommend this sake.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
thedm (5034) - Fort Wayne, USA - JAN 4, 2007
This bottled sake from a bottle shop poured a head of medium sized clear colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing and left behind a clear colroed body. The smooth aroma was all plastic. The crisp and clean smooth mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and strongly tingly at the finish with a strong vinous alcohol aftertaste and mild alcohol burn. A decent one but not one that I would consider buying again.