overall

RATINGS: 221   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.46   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Unfiltered India Pale Ale brewed with wheat, citrus peels and coriander. Shock Top Wheat I.P.A. (WIPA) is an unfiltered wheat ale brewed with Cascade hops.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
CharmCityCrab (189) - Maryland, USA - FEB 14, 2012
I’m not one to bash products from the big beer companies automatically, and I tend to give extra points to products that come in more cheaply than their competitors. So, in theory, Shock Top Wheat IPA should have been something that appeals to me. I got it for the same price as a Budweiser, on-sale, and it’s regular price is cheaper than any other IPA on the market. Unfortunately, they screwed this one up big time. When I drink an IPA, I expect, you know, hops. Not only is this the least hoppy IPA I’ve ever tasted, I think it may very well be less hoppy than any pale ale I’ve ever tasted. It is significantly less hoppy than Sam Adams Boston Lager. Heck, I remember Budweiser American Ale, from the very same brewery having more hops than this. There are almost no hops here. You know what it tastes like to me? A macro lager with the barest hint of wheat and no hint whatsoever of an IPA or even a pale ale taste profile. I’m not one to bash macro lagers on principle, they are what they are, and some of them get decent ratings from me primarily due to their low price and their adherence to style guidelines. This claims to be an IPA, though, and it it isn’t. It claims to be a wheat beer, and it just barely is. There’s an orange on the bottle and I don’t taste even a hint of Shock Top Beligan Whit tang-style orange (Though in all fairness, the orange may just be their logo and not a claim about what’s inside). If I was judging this as a macro lager, it’d probably do okay, but that’s not what it claims to be. As an IPA or a wheat beer or a wheat IPA, it sucks.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
CanIHave4Beers (3506) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - FEB 14, 2012
Pours a hazy golden color with a small well retained head.

The aroma is clean and fruity, way way more spice forward than hop forward. All together the nose on this beer is a bit on the mild or faint side of things and it’s not especially hop forward.

he flavor is fruity and really fairly bitter. There is some of that sad clash of hop bitterness with the flavor of the spices. The beer is hop forward but doesn’t have a lot of dazzling hop flavor, certainly some citrus character to it and it’s moderately dry.
It’s aight, sort of. I’ve had "craft" IPAs that were way further off mark than this.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
tdcritch (153) - Missouri, USA - FEB 14, 2012
With IPA on the label I expected a hoppy aroma, but was disappointed. Color was a hazy amber with a minimal head. Medium bitterness taste, light body. Overall not that great and shouldn’t be called an IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Bradbalk (9) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - FEB 13, 2012 does not count
Poured a dirty dark orange with a very thin soap ring of a head. The smell is very boring, where are the hops? Just light Belgian spices, coriander, a touch of wheat with light oxidization. The flavor - Once again where are the hops? Seriously, why put IPA on it if there is no hops, I have to bang it for that alone. The flavor is mild and wheaty with a touch of Belgian spice and a metallic coppery oxidization in the finish. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. Once again why call it IPA if there are no hops, even taking that into account it would be a very substandard Belgian Wheat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tmoney99 (11560) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2012
Bottle. Poured hazy copper color with an average frothy off-white head that lasted with good lacing. Moderate wheat and hop aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Moderate bittersweet flavor with a moderate bittersweet finish of medium duration. This beer met my expectations.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
thegreenrooster (3417) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 11, 2012
Pour is a hazy orange with a large white head. Aroma is dull wheat notes with some very minimal spice. Flavor is deffinatly a wheat beer base with some peach flavoring showing up toward the end. Like most other raters, there is almost no hop presence in this. This could be considered a fruit beer more than and IPA. It’s drinkable that’s about it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wxman (1519) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2012
Pours a hazy pale orange with a so-so white head. Pleasant aroma of grapes and oranges. Taste is sweet malt, bread, grain, citrus and a nuttiness. Mild hop bitterness. Wheat IPA? Whatever, it does taste pretty good and is refreshing and well balanced.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
adnielsen (9727) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 7, 2012
Bottle @ home. I’m somewhat intrigued by "Wheat IPAs", though it pisses me off when they’re classified as wheat ales and are rated the best wheat ales. I picked this up against my better judgment. Hazy, dark orange appearance with an off white head that dissipates to nothing quickly. There’s some wheat malts, coriander, orange peel, and other citrus notes in the nose. Tangy, rich orange peel, mild coriander, very lightly hopped, wheat malty flavor. Where’s the hops? This is an IPA? I’d classify it as a shit bomb [ale].

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
dfinney23 (2087) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2012
IPA? There’s barely enough hops here to call it a P.A. minus the I. That said, it’s really not a bad beer. Pours hazy orange-amber with a finger of quick-fading head. Aroma is orange, lemon and wheat. Taste is more tart than bitter.

1.4
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
NordicV (1293) - Malmö, Sweden, SWEDEN - FEB 6, 2012
Denna doftar blommig tvål. Jag vill inte dricka blommig tvål. Dock ser den bra ut bärnsten med vitt skum. Smaken är också bättre än doften. Men betyder inte I.P.A ordentligt med humle. OK kanske mot en amerikansk lightöl, men en IPA är det inte.