overall

RATINGS: 153   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
rumproasts (2879) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 4, 2013
bottle. I’d have to say, I think Bloody Marys are one of the nastiest things ever, but I had to try this anyway. I couldn’t make it past the first sip. Quite a bit of the tomato and spice makes it through. I like the idea, but this one’s not for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
tectactoe (1871) - Michigan, USA - MAY 4, 2014
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2014 Bottle: Darkish, muddled copper-orange with a thick white head, decent lacing. Interesting nose of massive peppercorn, dill, basil, roasted tomatoes, spicy peppers... Smells more like a meal than a beer. The taste is not as good. Full-out tomato juice. HEAVY tomato, heavy peppercorn as well with faint vegetal notes, celery seed, pickle juice, a touch of spiciness but it surprisingly finishes quite sweet. Salty brine aftertaste, tomatoes linger for eternity. Not a fan. I don’t love tomato juice to begin with, but I can even stand a Bloody Mary now & then. This just falls apart for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrSilverworm (6375) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 26, 2013
4oz on tap at HopCat East Lansing during the Shorts tap takeover. First beer of the day. Mostly clear bright orange color. Little bubbly off-white head, no lace. Nice tomato spice, light tobasco in the nose. Bigger body. Smooth, crisp lighter carbonation. Nice moderate bitter taste, lightly spicy, good heat in the finish. Very impressively close to a bloody mary. Awesome, super interesting stuff. Much lighter and easier to drink than expected. Made for a great breakfast beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
orangesol (853) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato’s, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary’s but this one really didn’t do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short’s beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
mikem409 (1486) - bloomfield, Michigan, USA - AUG 14, 2013
bottle. pours a thick red with a reddish head. peppery tomato and pickle aroma. taste is very salty and thick mouth lots of tomato ummm not for me

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
bytemesis (3152) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - SEP 6, 2013
Bottle. Pours hazy amber with a tiny white head that dissipates quickly with little lacing. Aroma is tomatoes(!), grass, squash, very vegetal. Flavor is the same, somewhat spicy - the horseradish I guess, vegetal. Not so bad initially, but the aftertaste is very unsettling, bitter, metallic and unpleasant. Medium body. Not my thing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cpetrone84 (1379) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2013
Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
andrewmb83 (42) - Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2013
On tap, 6 oz flight. Smells a wonderful garden bouquet, with the dill and horseradish coming through. A nice taste where you can pick out the individual ingredients. Coming from a background where you always have a beer chaser with your bloody mary in the morning, this is a wonderful concept, and although I only had 6 oz I liked the taste. I heard from the owner of the bar that this beer is much better on tap then in the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
koleminer20 (596) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - AUG 24, 2013
HopCat in East Lansing. The pour is an orangy gold color with a decent head that fades rapidly. The smell is very prominent of some kind of spruce or pine and the orange that’s supposed to be in there. The taste is very forward with blood orange and the hops take the back seat. It’s got a decent mouth feel, but the flavors evaporate quickly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RespertFTW (520) - Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2013
Bottle. Definitely an interesting concept here. Murky dark gold pour. Almost no head. Sweet initial tomato flavor and spicy finish. Not an everyday beer, but I think it has its place.