overall

RATINGS: 257   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout uses Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans in every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant, and there are robust flavors of cream and coffee. This is the perfect morning night capper.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
skoll (420) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2009
This one took me by surprise the coffee was overwellming by I am not a coffee drinker I love the smell of fresh brewing coffee and this is what the aroma was like. What do you expect from a name like cuppa Joe. The texture was creamy with a slight bitter after taste not my first grab but a good experince.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sammy (9683) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 26, 2009
Very fresh bottle from Michigan, latest seasonal release. Pours black with tons of foam. Coffee in aroma, in the taste, with lots of creme. The bottle surprised me by saying there was milk lactose. Tastes more bitter than 30 ibu would have you believe.Above average mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NayTron (133) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - DEC 25, 2009
Pours dark with a thin head. Smells wonderful. Lots of coffee an sugar. Thick mouthfeel. Taste is coffee, caramel and some chocolate. Starts with a pleasant bitter coffee that works into a sweet and creamy chocolate caramel. Lots going on here as it warms, what a great coffee stout. Damn wish I had more than one. Thanks Santa.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigBeer45 (1336) - Michigan, USA - DEC 23, 2009
Bottle from Champanes, has a brown-black pour with a tan bubbled head that recedes to a thin cover, aromas of coffee, roasted malt, malt and sugar sweetness, flavors of cold coffee, roasted malt, cream and sugar sweetness with faint chocolate, has a small bitterness at the finish and coffee flavor trails thereafter, has a medium mouth feel or so, easy to drink, I like this beer, a nice mixture of coffee and a sweet stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
flatmatt (1289) - Northville, Michigan, USA - DEC 20, 2009
12 oz bottle. Pours black with a tan head. Incredibly rich coffee, cream, cocoa, and black licorice aroma. Seriously, I love the smell of this beer. Flavor is coffee backed by milk chocolate and dark chocolate, with black licorice and a touch of smoke. I wasn’t expecting a new top ten beer when I took this out of the fridge. Short’s has really proven themselves to me tonight. Amazing!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gkost (1710) - Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 20, 2009
Pours black. Nose is big coffee, fresh brewed, roasted malts, sweet molasses, cocoa. Flavor is huge fresh coffee beans, bitter chocolate, roasted malts, sweet toffee, espresso. Nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sebletitje (7879) - Enghien, BELGIUM - DEC 19, 2009
growler, Tampa gathering. pours black, mocha head. Aroma and flavor, ridiculously coffee and roast all over this one. Lots of roasted / chocolate malts, not on the bitter coffee side, but packs an intense coffee flavor punch. Shorts has made another wonderful brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fidel (1302) - Livermore, California, USA - DEC 9, 2009
Poured very black, thin, dark roast coffee, roasted malts, little vegital, bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2009
What is beer? A beverage to enjoy alone or with friends. A passage into adulthood. A religious and social mechanism which has fueled governments and wars. A study into history and sociology. A pinnacle of creativity, imagination, and skill. A beacon of peace and brotherly love.

Imagine the quantity of coffee beans it requires to brew a batch of said-infused stout, and even Starbucks would be put to shame. I would never advocate irresponsibility or over-indulgence because too much of anything is never a good thing, but come some sunny morning, as the eggs are frying on the griddle and toast is warming in the oven, crack open that Cuppa Joe Java Cream Stout from Shorts Brewing and rediscover the pleasures of breakfast.

Rich, viscous, and blacker then freshly brewed coffee, my Cuppa Joe would light up anyone’s morning, though I happen to be enjoying him later in the evening. Very little head to speak of which quickly sinks into the looming darkness below. His nose is a beautiful one-two punch of dry and dark crumbly bitter chocolates as a river of coffee rips and roars through it all. Vanilla bean, licorice, wood, and fresh notes of cream are carried away like helpless victims. On nose alone I feel a ripple of energy and alertness start to spread throughout my being. Purportedly, Short’s Brewing used whole bags of coffee beans to create this veritable tome of stout and coffee heaven; I can believe it. A very clean and smooth mouthfeel which isn’t at all heavy. Considering the weight of flavor, an additional weight of body would have served to bog down this easy quaffing pick-me-up. Skim milk, bitter dry dark chocolates, crunchy chocolate covered espresso beans, freshly brewed coffee and a gentle undercurrent of vanilla tinged wood washes over my tastebuds with joyous abandon. My palate starts to slowly dry as licorice, charred malts, and dry espresso grinds give the palate a brisk finish. Again, I am amazed at how clean and light the body is which makes my evening Cuppa Joe far too easy to drink.

As I wrap up my night, and yet another amazing tasting, I can’t recall a single beer which didn’t wow, dazzle, and mystify. One, maybe two were good and not great, but even good is better than a face-wrenching drain-pour any day. Short’s Brewing is a small brewery which offers some of their beers in growlers-to-go which is how I enjoyed their Cuppa Joe Java Cream Stout. I hope the frisky folks at Short’s aren’t brewing in only their shorts, but if that is what it takes to create magic, then I’m ok with that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
alexsdad06 (7105) - Ohio, USA - JUL 27, 2009
Sample from a growler @ DLD09. Pours black with a small creamy tan head. The aroma is strong roasted coffee and chocolate. Flavor is more strong roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, and some bitterness in the finish. Smooth throughout and enjoyable.