RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• Aromatic earth tonic of the resinous picea and humulus lupulus
• Beer Type: Imperial pilsner brewed with Northern Michigan Blue Spruce needles and healthy doses of high alpha hops

Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 18, 2009
JCB popped this one at Pre-Sex, thanks man. Shorts is always doing something different, and this is no exception. Aroma is Winterfresh gum and nothing else. Flavor is not too different than the aroma, Winterfresh with some eucalyptus, pinecones, and just a trace of hops. I didn’t mind this at all in the small sample, not sure I could kill an entire bottle, but big thanks to Jason, I’ll take any Shorts I can get.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2008
Sampled at the Carolina Crew gathering in Greenville. Wow... a Christmas tree in a bottle. Aroma was dominated by the Christmas tree/spruce aroma. Somewhat astringent and very dominant spruce flavor. A bit too one-dimensional and tough to drink for my liking. Thanks to Paul for bringing this though - definitely a unique beer and worth trying.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2008
750ml #139 of 886 Recieved this bottle in a great trade with Hoppymeal, thanks a million Derek! Short’s Imperial Spruce India Pilsner pours like I’d expect of a pilsner (although not one that weighs in at 10%). Beautiful golden body with a glass full of large carbonation bubbles swirling and rushing to the surface. Every other Imperial Pilsner I’ve sampled has had some viscosity and you really noticed by the crawl of the carbonation. This on the other hand looks more like a standard pilsner. The dense head grew to three fingers on the pour and is cotton white. Falls to a finger plus at it’s lowest and leaves big chunky patches of lace. The smell of this beer is intense! I’m sure the flavor will be too. There’s a quick flash of biscuity malts upfront but the Blue Spruce neddles come fast and hard. Rosemary like at first but morphing into a glassful of Christmas tree. I’m not getting much in the hop department. Possibly some pine upfront but that’s most likely the Blue Spruce. Wait! As it warms there are some citric hop qualities that wave faintly in the background. A touch of earthiness rom the spruce needles. I can feel my sinus’ clear each time I inhale. Very interesting! The nose doesn’t lie! Just as intense on the tongue as in the nose. Slightly sweet biscuity malts flash through again but the spruce needles take over quickly. My mouth all at once becomes earth, resinous, and sappy like I’m chomping on a Christmas tree. The spruce rides roughshod over my tongue. There is more hoppiness than the smell led me to believe, but doesn’t show itself until the swallow. That hoppiness is lightly sweetened grapefruit and keeps the spruce from running away with things. I’m growing extremely fond of the bitterness the spruce needles leave in their path. Most Imperial Pilsners I’ve sampled in the past have had far too viscous bodies for the style. This has a medium body but the lively carbonation keeps it moving at a fast pace. I can’t imagine the mouthfeel being any better then what it is right now. This bottle is going down pretty easy but the flavors are so intense one bottle is all I could handle in a sitting. The bitterness does a number on your tastebuds too so be ready. I’ve been fortunate to have sampled three of Short’s beers, all thanks to Derek, and everyone of them has been excellent. This is one of the most unique beers I’ve encountered and would love to get my hands on some more spruce infused beers. 3/2/08

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jaksmart (454) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2011
Bottle, courtesy of Enjoyit. Hazy orange, small white head. Aroma has tons of ginger, banana, rosemary, perfume, lavender, dishwasher-soap, some spruce maybe. Taste is very chemical with pine, more soap and more chemicals.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
uhre (384) - DENMARK - OCT 11, 2008
Aroma of spruce. The beer is golden with a small head. Flavor of pines and perfume.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gruberm (329) - - AUG 17, 2013
Pilsner coloured with a slight green tinge. Smells of pine. Taste of earthy pine. Eeeeehhhhh. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
twitcher (298) - framingham, Massachusetts, USA - APR 26, 2009
bottle. Pours a thick hazy deep amber color, half inch of off white head that stays around. Freaky muted minty aroma. Flavor shows loads of heavy, minty spruce flavor, and a distinct medicinal quality. Palate is thick and syrupy, though finish suprisingly clean. An interesting brew, but not very drinkable or enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mette (224) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 2, 2008
shorts smagning med klubben. Det er nok den bedste i aften. Uklar gul/orange med et hvidt skum. Masser af "natur", gran nåle, skov, harpiks, rosmarin, sødt med masser af humle. Guf guf!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MikeMac (185) - Wyandotte, Michigan, USA - NOV 21, 2007
750 ml bottle . Pored a nice trasperent gold nice fizzy head. Aroma was strong a ton of hop and pine. A wild array of flavor to much to describe. I would definitly drink one again

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
ElDuderino (184) - Hyde Park, Massachusetts, USA - APR 27, 2009
Bottle. I love imperial pilsners. LOVE them. This beer really disappointed. The smell was awesome, crisp, piney, lots of fresh wheat notes. On my first sip I was crushed. It tasted like a tree branch, with strong sappy notes and wet bark. The finish was almost metallic but really just reminded me of when I was young and would twist and turn at a branch off the christmas tree until my hands were just raw with the scent of pine wood and sap. No malt character detectable, as the hops and bitters just dominate in a strange strange way. Seems like they used a weird sugar or something.