overall

RATINGS: 388   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
2014 Beer Camp Across America Release.

Torpedo Pilsner is a hop-forward take on the crisp classic lager. We and the folks at Firestone Walker share a passion for New Zealand hop varietals, so we loaded our legendary Hop Torpedo with southern hemisphere hops for a fruity, floral twist on the pilsner style.

Just down the road from us in California’s Central Coast wine country, this rock star brewery has earned “Mid-size Brewery of the Year” at the World Beer Cup four times. Like us, Firestone is passionate about hops. Their skill with the ingredient shines in their Pale Series and elsewhere in a long beer lineup driven by a premier brewing team.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
S_Side_Smitty (489) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - OCT 1, 2014
Pours light pale yellow with a small white head. Aroma is faint pilsener malts and something vegetal. Taste is sweet syrup up front. Light grainy pilsener malts quickly follow and lead to a chalky medium bitter finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
llcooldave (1118) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - SEP 28, 2014
Pours nice gold color in the glass. Fruity floral industrial aroma like a commercial air freshener. Fruity flavor up front like a SweetTart. Finishes with a mild asprin like bitterness and astringent note. Ok it’s not the greatest beer... it’s a bit too floral for me. As it warms it develops more of a floral jasmine note on the nose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MadIndian (2435) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 28, 2014
On draft at Isaac Newton’s. This fell a bit short for me. Thin body and bland. There were some nice floral hop notes. Other than that, ehh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
KyotoLefty (6739) - Kyoto, JAPAN - SEP 28, 2014
Pale gold color, hazy, with a fine head. Lemony nose, biscuits, a bit spicy. Very hoppy, bitter, crisp flavor. Lots of lemon, some grass. Light biscuits. Tasty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
gschrade (778) - Collinsville, USA - SEP 27, 2014
I had this at Global Brew. Pours yellow with a white head. Taste very floral, citrus, light. I thought this was good. I would drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
AndyW68 (1156) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - SEP 26, 2014
Clear yellow pour with white head. Aroma is light and grainy. Taste follows nose. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tgncc (2900) - Bellmore, New York, USA - SEP 25, 2014
The aroma is grassy, spicy. The appearance is clear yellow/orange, white head. The flavor is spicy, grassy, bread. The finish is spicy, grass, noble hops. Medium in body. Good representation of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jayb0 (1052) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - SEP 22, 2014
This beer is good, and I think achieves the goal perfectly, I’m just not sure the goal is worthy. A citrusy hop-forward pilsener just doesn’t do for me what I want. I don’t really want a pils with fruit to this degree. I like a crisp pils with a dry bite. Although the breadiness balances things and the spiciness is pleasant, I just didn’t find this one great to drink, although I think it is a very well-brewed beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Huhzubendah (2668) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 22, 2014
Pale golden body with a finger of white head. Bready aroma, yeast, pils malt, floral notes, a touch of citrus, pepper. Average flavor, following the aroma. A bit unbalanced. Lacking the drinkability and ease of the upper tier pilsners.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerFunGuy (746) - California, USA - SEP 22, 2014
This beer is whitefish yellow with an interesting spicy aroma. It is much more interesting than your typical pilsner. A very unique take on a pretty simple classic. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone