overall

RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 366   ABV: 12.2%
Our Bigfoot Barleywine is a craft beer legend. Each winter, this beast of a beer appears and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting palates with its intense bittersweet flavors. This year—in honor of the 30th Anniversary of this style-bending brew— we’re releasing a very special version of this cult classic: Aged in oak whiskey casks for nearly two years, this barrel-aged Bigfoot is incredibly complex. The assault of resinous hops has mellowed, and the influence of the wood has shifted focus toward the malt—with rich burnt-sugar flavors and notes of vanilla, toasted coconut, and raisins. Grab this elusive beast while you can, because it won’t be around for long.

Mora2000 (5924) - McKinney, Texas, USA - FEB 24, 2013
Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle. Pours an amber color with a small white head. This is one complex beer. I get a lot of whiskey in the aroma, as well as some caramel, cocoa and toffee. The flavor is where the beer really comes into its own. The bourbon is still present, as is a good amount of oak and cocoa. I also get a strong amount of caramel from the base beer, as well as a good amount of vanilla and maple from the barrel aging. Every time I take a sip I notice a new flavor since the beer keeps evolving as it warms. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. An outstanding beer. Glad I got to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerbastard (766) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2013
Thanks Mark! Nice looking Chestnut beer with no head. Whishey forward nose followed by some caramal and alcohol. Bold Burbon flavors blended with toffee, vanilla and cotton candy, chased by lots of hops. Smooth. All of the hops make this different from most barley wines. Alcohol presents itself as burn in the finish. I get some of all the things I like from this beer.

decaturstevo (5391) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Copper pour with white head and lace. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, abv, and raisins. Same as nose but I don’t get the oak. Smooth creamy carbonation and full bodied. Nice warmth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LtDan (1805) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - MAR 22, 2013
Appearance: Pours hazy dark red with a thin tan ring.

Aroma: Sweet cherry and plum, bourbon.

Taste: Wood, walnuts, dark chocolate,cereal, warm woody bourbon finish. Subdued hops compared to fresh.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied lively creamy carbonation.

Overall: Worth the hype, amazingly tasty. For those familiar with fresh and aged Bigfoot: this is it’s own beast. The agressive hops are subdued and the malt smooths out with the presence barrel character. I wouldn’t bother aging this, I’d drink this now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DuffMan (7622) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 30, 2013
Bottle, shared with Parksy and others. The core character of the Bigfoot is not lost here, and the barrel adds lovely sweet toasty marshmallow, vanilla, and rumcake notes to the already chewy malt structure. The hops are here too, but much less evident. Really great stuff, just as I hoped!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marheb (2899) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 31, 2013
UPDATED: APR 12, 2014 (Critique chaotique du extreme beer fest 2013): Les houblons sont très présents, juste un peu plus aplanis. Peu de vanille ou de whiskey mais un léger tannin poivré, vraiment délicieux.

mikedR (1528) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 7, 2013
Better than the non-barrel-aged variety. Toffee aroma and flavor. Bourbon infusion just adds. Slightly boozy, and slightly alcohol hot if you will, but well balanced and quite good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
tgncc (2998) - Bellmore, New York, USA - APR 27, 2013
Tap at Blind Tiger. The aroma is bourbon, candi sugar. The appearance is clear, slightly translucent red/brown, off-white head. The flavor is sweet fruit, bread, bourbon. The finish is light booze, sweet, pine needles. Nice. Good example of where barrel aging doesn’t swamp the base beer, but enhances it.

johnnnniee (2730) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 19, 2013
Received in trade and shared with friends. Pours a medium copper color with a smallish off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of rich caramel a brown sugary malts with a bit of faded earthy pine and citrus with a very nice oak and vanilla. The flavor follows the aroma quite well. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation and a creamy syrupy mouthfeel. Fantastic beer, I enjoyed every bit of it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Westmeister (2006) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 25, 2013
1000th RATING!! I chose this selection out of any as Bigfoot was the first big beer I ever had. I was on a roadtrip following Phish up and down the East Coast in 2002 when EricTeusink and I came across this small package store in Rhode Island I think. They had cases of Bigfoot for something stupid, like $20. Not really knowing what it was, we saw the ABV and the price and saw the opportunity to try and sell some on the lots of the upcoming shows. About 7 years later I came back to this beer at a festival and it was love all over again. Damn do I wish I still had a bottle of the first case I had. Anyone reading this and have a 2001 bottle hit me up. Anyways I wanted to pay homage to the original first big beer I had by going with the barrel-aged version. 750 bottle drank by my damn self. Pours a dark mahogany with medium offwhite head that rides the side of the glass for a bit. Smell is big sweet caramel candy, vanilla, coconut, dark fruit, all the other components of sweet bourbon. Still can smell the original underneath the nice barrel aging. Lovely. Taste is creamy bourbon, vanilla, coconut, still a decent hop punch in the finish, hints of ripe dark fruits. The mouthfeel is exceptional. Creamy, full, sloshy. Love this beer, but I think if the hops faded just a bit more the finish would be just a tad cleaner for me. Still exceptional and the circumstance of the rate probably helped the score.