Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 22 Bines Blonde IPA

(RETIRED)
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 22 Bines Blonde IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.77/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Beer Camp #9 from 08/2009. A fresh-hopped blonde IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ernesto987 (3687) - Connecticut, USA - APR 11, 2013
on draft, a pretty tasty saison like hoppy beer. Very neutral and very drinkable, like it a decent amount

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Thorpe429 (5012) - , Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2010
On tap at Rustico in Alexandria, VA. The bartenders told my wife and I that this was a limited brew from one of Sierra’s special sessions. The brewing involved Premium Distributors from Northern Virginia, and thus Rustico was able to get a keg. A: Poured a bright yellow gold with a good amount of carbonation, a fairly long-lasting white head, and a moderate amount of lacing. S: The initial whiff was pure hops. We initially just grabbed a 4oz. sample, but after that decided that we each needed a full pint. The malt profile on this one is definitely an American Blonde, and there is a certain crispness to the nose, but rising on top of that is the perfect hop profile--I’m not a homebrewer, but this reminded me quite a bit of FFF Gumballhead, which I believe uses mostly Amarillo hops. T: A delicate blend of what I believe to be Amarillo hops layered atop a simple yet eloquent malt base. The malt lends a slightly-sweetened graininess to the brew, but for the most part the hops shine through. M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a certain light creaminess to the drink reminiscent of the finer blonde ales that I’ve had, but nothing too overwhelming. The alcohol is certainly not noticeable, and there is an ever-so-slight twang from the grain bill. D: Sublimely drinkable. After my first whiff of the initial 4-ounce pour, I knew that I was going to want a pint of this. Were it not for the fact that I’d like some other lucky souls to try this one out, I wouldn’t have minded sitting at our barstools and have my wife and I put quite a dent in the keg ourselves. I mentioned Gumballhead earlier, and I think that and Russian River’s Aud Blonde would be the most apt comparisons to this one. Serving type: on-tap Reviewed on: 10-01-2009

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (7978) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 30, 2009
draft. filtered pale gold colored body, small white head. dried crackers, dried bread crumbs, medium citrus (orange peel, lemon zest) and a little bit of ginger in the nose. tangy and bitter, citrus and pine flavor hops, moderately oily but with a light body. fresh and lively, clean and crisp, more pale malt and less crystal malt, how it should be.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
gsmitty80 (1794) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 7, 2009
This was a very good beer. Hopped much like their seasonal fresh hops but lighter in color and a little more malty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jstraw (1914) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2009
Golden with big, foamy white head / Nose of yeasty dough and citrus / Light body, hint of sweetness, with malty balance to the dry, moderately bitter hops, and good finish / Elegant, restrained flavors of dry pine, orange, grapefruit, bubblegum, and grass / Another fine SN IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FunkyBrewster (1518) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 25, 2009
On tap at Gutherie’s in Chicago (though it is also at the Clark Street Ale House). Pours a pale golden yellow color with a medium sized white frothy head. Aroma is piney hops with a nice soft earthy grain malt character. Surprised at how much of the blonde came through with the crisp toasty pale malt character behind the fresh hops. Flavor is again, very pine driven, typical Sierra hoppiness with an underlying bread biscuit character. Also some grain straw notes towards the finish which is crisp and clean and not overly biter. Medium body and a relatively soft carbonation. Not a bad beer, in a way the two favors compete in the finish but overall its an interesting style blend.