overall

RATINGS: 3113   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Nice brown color, weak head but good lacing. Strong Ale flavors with the hops dominating. I don't like heavy hops, but this was a good one!

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Bottle. Solid all-around. Great aroma, plenty of hops, but well-balanced with the maltiness. Felt real nice going down with a bit of a warming effect. Need to get another

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HH (165) - Everett, Washington, USA - MAY 29, 2003
Viscuous (sp), this has a very thick feeling in the mouth. Not as hoppy as I remembered it. Me turning into a hophead?? Anyhow a nice bitter sweet finish. Good stuff here. Had to have another just to be sure..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2004 I am working on getting them all, so if you have anything before 1995 or 96, 97 or 98, BeerMail me. I like that it appears to be available in most finer stores. Last tried the 2004 version and it was just as fantastic as the previous.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
A huge beer. Big Cascade nose, but rather non-dememo on the bittering. Alcohol is noticeable, perhaps a little too much for my liking. Overall, a very good barley wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 20, 2003
On tap at Ashley's, Ann Arbor. Great all-encompassing malt, quite alcoholic but not in an Old Stock Ale kind of way, good hoppiness (but not up to Hog Heaven status) - yummy, but I didn't like it as much as I expected

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 12, 2003
This 2003 vintage has a great dark amber color and aroma when poured. The head was very thin as was the lacing on the glass. I kept finding myself swishing the glass around like a glass of wine to see if this beer had good legs. However, this beer tastes more like a complex IPA than a wine. Science says that we all have a different number of taste buds but I can tell you one thing - this beer will wake up every taste bud in your mouth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 11, 2003
This beer has a terrific aroma, and nice deep color. The taste profile hides the high alcohol content and has a great flavor. High hop flavor (maybe that's why I like it so much). This is one of my favorite beers.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 5, 2003
I am rating this for now the 2nd time. I hate the beer. End of story. Please don't take my rating out of the system this time just because you don't agree with my rating. Barleywines taste like a combo of wine and beer....kind of silly isn't it? I flat out don't like this and find no need to describe a beer in great detail that I don't like. If RateBeer wants to take this out of the database, at least contact me so you can tell me what I need to do differently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 5, 2003
Dark red in color. Smells very sweet. Definately tastes more like wine than beer.