overall

RATINGS: 3149   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Good strong ale. Very malty and strong flavor. Alcohol flavors at the finish, but one can also smell the alcohol in the aroma. Very hoppy finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 29, 2003
Delicius! Amber color. thick foamy head. Aroma was very hoppy with a sweet maltiness. Body was very sweet, malty, and very hoppy with notes of citrus that are present from a nice cascade hopping. This beer offered a delicious flavor that really hides the alcohol well. Extremely bold and delicious. One of my favorites. I will definitely buy this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2003
2003 edition. Redish amber color with a nice tan head. Sweet floral, hoppy aroma. Taste starts with a malty sweetness and leads into a hoppy bitterness, finish is a bit oily. Would have benefited from aging

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
My first ever Barleywine, this brew made a strong ale fan out of me. Intensely flavored, hops all over the place. It makes me wonder why they've never made an Imperial Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sturgess (173) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 24, 2003
Bigfoot is a great beer overall, many medal winners, it's a barely wine ale by stlye, and it shows through. As far as barley wine's are concerned it's up there but I'd rather go for the golden monkey for a few bucks cheaper.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GregClow (2893) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 23, 2003
2003 vintage. Ruby brown colour with a moderate tan head. Outstanding aroma of citric hops, sweet malt, brown sugar, warm alcohol... so good! Big, powerful mouthfeel with initial kick of sweetness quickly giving way to a fruity and bitter hop explosion. How they manage to keep such big flavours in balance is a mystery to me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 17, 2003
UPDATED: APR 5, 2005 Bright garnet body with a uniform buff-colored head. Excellent aroma (particularly after some modest cellaring time) of grapefruit, pine, juniper, flowers, caramel, and alcohol. Flavor is explosive and intense with a hoppy start and finish, but malts miraculously hold down the middle and lend some balance. Wickedly bitter, but in a good way. Some modest brown sugar and toffee sweetness emerges beneath a thick blanket of hops. Bigfoot is an annual classic and one of the highlights of the dead of winter. Budweiser should be immediately stripped of the slogan of "King of Beers" by fiat and that title should be awarded to Bigfoot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 16, 2003
A light fruity aroma and hops, actually mostly hops. Appearance is reddish-brown, high carbonation and cloudy. Maybe its a style thing, but these beers from the American west for the most part aren't for me. The flavour is dominated by hops and that's about it. I also didn't enjoy the strong alcohol aftertaste. One-dimentional and lacking balance. I'm not going out of my way to try this again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - JUN 10, 2003
Had to see what all the hub bub was alll about in this brew.Medium brown in color,small head that faded quite quickly that lef t a slight laceing on the side of the glass.malty aroma with a slight wine like aroma as well.The taste was fanatical with an abundance of flavor's coming through,the main flavor being a sweet malt with a mildly syrupy feel to it.what a fantastic brew this is,more then i am worthy of there are hint's of all sorts of things in this brew more then can be described it's a sensation overload IMO.Well worth the shipping to get it here and a well worth exspense.glad i have a few more for later for ageing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 7, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2004 (2003 release) I'd heard the legend and rumors of Bigfoot, yet never come face to face with such a creature. Then, this past week, through fate, divine providence or perhaps an answer to prayer, Bigfoot made himself know to me, sighted there in the corner of my local BevMo store. Anxiously yet deliberately, I moved in and managed to capture a twelve oz. six of the mythical brew. Once safely back home, I reached for an opener to release the fabled beast. This Bigfoot poured languidly as he brashly displayed his deep red and copper colors. His head rose slightly toward the top of the glass enclosure, off-white and heavy, then slowly sank again as he realized the finality of his capture and inevitability of his demise. As I moved in closer I caught his scent, like honey and flowers in a summer meadow, fresh, sweet and lightly acidic. Emboldened by the pleasing aroma, I ventured in for the kill and a long awaited taste of his full-bodied substance. I was surprised and gratified by the hoppy, floral flavors that balanced his heavy malt backbone. I was delighted by the way his flesh seemd to dance light and creamy on my palate. As I swallowed, a pleasant bitterness was all that remained – save the beautifully laced remains of the monster resting in my glass! Bigfoot, you are a noble beast. I bless the sacrifice that you have made for my sake and I pray for your quick return to my home and hearth once again, far from the woods of your birth.