overall

RATINGS: 3159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
A huge beer. Big Cascade nose, but rather non-dememo on the bittering. Alcohol is noticeable, perhaps a little too much for my liking. Overall, a very good barley wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 20, 2003
On tap at Ashley's, Ann Arbor. Great all-encompassing malt, quite alcoholic but not in an Old Stock Ale kind of way, good hoppiness (but not up to Hog Heaven status) - yummy, but I didn't like it as much as I expected

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 12, 2003
This 2003 vintage has a great dark amber color and aroma when poured. The head was very thin as was the lacing on the glass. I kept finding myself swishing the glass around like a glass of wine to see if this beer had good legs. However, this beer tastes more like a complex IPA than a wine. Science says that we all have a different number of taste buds but I can tell you one thing - this beer will wake up every taste bud in your mouth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 11, 2003
This beer has a terrific aroma, and nice deep color. The taste profile hides the high alcohol content and has a great flavor. High hop flavor (maybe that's why I like it so much). This is one of my favorite beers.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 5, 2003
I am rating this for now the 2nd time. I hate the beer. End of story. Please don't take my rating out of the system this time just because you don't agree with my rating. Barleywines taste like a combo of wine and beer....kind of silly isn't it? I flat out don't like this and find no need to describe a beer in great detail that I don't like. If RateBeer wants to take this out of the database, at least contact me so you can tell me what I need to do differently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 5, 2003
Dark red in color. Smells very sweet. Definately tastes more like wine than beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAY 4, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2005 2005: OUTSTANDING! Caramel and candy cane hops and smooth as $#*@! This is as close to a session barley wine as one can get. Worth a rating uptick. 2003: This is by far the hoppiest barleywine Ive had. From hoppy to sweet: Bigfoot, Bells Third Coast Old Ale, Victory Old Horizontal. I place Three Floyds Behemouth in a class by itself as it is the most divine mixture of hop and sweet. Back to the bigfoot: great melony aroma that convinces you it will be smooth until the first sip and WHAM- those hops hit you hard. Im sure it would mellow with age, but who can wait? 2002: Abrasively hoppy. Not as enjoyable. 2001: Sweetness is more muted than in 2003, more mature and quite smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 4, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2005 2005 Vintage. Ruddy brown w/ creamy beige foam. Fruity, hoppy, citrus aroma w/ strong notes of toffee & caramel & earthy suggestions of oak & vanilla. Thick, chewy, sticky feel. Big, hoppy, moderately complex, well-balanced flavour w/ long, very bitter finish.

Aroma 8; Appearance 4; Flavour 8; Palate 5; Overall Impression 17; Overall Score 4.2.

2003 Vintage. Reddish amber w/ lovely finger of tightly beaded tan foam. Fresh, floral, fruity cascade/cascading hop aroma. Nice resiny, sticky feel. Very well balanced: lots of malt and an extremely bitter lasting finish. Yummy!

Aroma 8; Appearance 5; Flavour 8; Palate 5; Overalll Impression 17; Overall Score 4.3.

DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 4, 2003
2003 version. Hoppy, orange aroma, deep orange colour, medium sized vanilla custard head. Robust hoppy, orange flavour. Wonderfully bitter. A marvelous brew to be sure, although it seems more like a top flight IPA than a Barley Wine. Thanks again JMerritt!

Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - MAY 4, 2003
Winter 2002 batch. Upon opening, hops aroma literally clubs you over the head. Faint grassy smell also noticed. Pours out a rich amber color. A white, frothy head fades quickly, leaving some lace on sides of glass. Since this was my first experience with this beer, I have nothing to compare it with, but it is a nice beer all the same. The hops are a little over the top, however, at 100 IBU's, most any beer would be. I've been drinking this since February 2002, and I've noticed small changes in it every time I drink it. The hops are not mellowing out yet, but since I bought 8 cases to begin with, I'm sure I'll have some for years to come to compare it with the newer batches. I highly recommend this beer, but it is quite expensive as beers in general go.