RATINGS: 3264   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - FEB 11, 2003
strong hoppy aroma, looks awesome, sticky and super hoppy with some lasting bitters and a nice masking job on the 9.6%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pint4pint (4) - USA - FEB 8, 2003 does not count
A lateral tasting of six years - 2003, 2003, 2003, 2003, 2003, & 2003. Found the 2003 to have a nice floral aroma from the Centennial & Cascade hops. While some may find this to lack balance, I enjoy the malt sweetness that lies just beneath the wall of hop bitterness that creates a symphony for me. I roll a bit across my tongue and get a slightly salty note, followed by an ever changing bitter evolution. Some grapefruit, but some nuts and plum. Acidic, but in a way that begs me to just kep sipping. You like lacing? This will stand right up there with any Belgian. Some disagree with the barleywine nomenclature. I know that it certainly isn't like any of the English that I've sampled, but being that I tried this prior to sampling any other - I am left thinking this must be the place. And on to the next 2003 - After one I notice that this seems all the smoother. The bitterness has subsided a tad and I detect a bit more fruityness. Much easier to quaff and he glass grows from half full to half empty and I don't feel the least bit pessamistic. Now for the 2003 - This is really good stuff! I could grow to like this. The movie I'm watching is suddenly eimbued with a meaning I never suspected. A glow comes from the screen and the world feels right. Think I'll try that bottle of 2003. The neighbors better mind their own fucking business. I can listen at any fucking volume I damn well please. Yeh, time to try that bottle of 2003 that I've been waiting for. Why is this glass so goddamn sticky? pOuR thE sHiT in My lAp if I feEL likE iT. I sAid this was gOod, DO you HEAR mE? Gunna try that last bottle Of 2003 that I've cellared alL of a week. Cops betTer stOp bAngiNg. I'll show WhO"s GeTtiNg TheiR AsS KicKeD. I caN't FucKing driNk wiTh cuFfs on AssholE! You SpILL Y gODDAmN bEeR AND iT's all oVeR.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - FEB 8, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2007 2003 Expedition: Pours a rich cherry brandy color with a medium tan head. Sweet, hoppy nose. Flavor: Sweet burnt caramel start then a quick hop bite and a sweet citrus finish. Smooth, velvety palate. Warms the face as well as the tummy. 2004 Expedition: Same song, second verse.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jgb9348 (5171) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Dark brown in colour, fast-fading head. Great thick pour. Nice smell...very strong too! Insanely thick-bodied taste and a great full flavour. Very strong maltiness and a strong hoppy flavour which goes perfectly with the beer! 2003 vintage.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
monkeyman (57) - Alabama, USA - FEB 7, 2003
01/24/02 bottling date. 1-03 tasting: Very seductive and smooth; toggles between gentle (yes, gentle!) hops and big maltiness. Nice head at the one-year mark; can't wait to try out my '01s!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1528) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2006 Vintage 2003: Reddish brown, medium head. Strong hop aroma. Very malty and thick. Long bitter finish. Like a malty IPA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - FEB 3, 2003
Smells of hops and alcohol. Color is dark red/bronze, with a sizeable, creamy head. Taste is aggressively bitter, with a fresh acidity and a long finish, balanced by sweet, plummy malts. Alcohol is very noticeable. Very similar to Double Bastard, but not as complex.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2003
Deep Amber color, thin tight white head. Hoppy, sweet fruity&floral and alcohol nose. Nice bite! Rather acidic, berries and alcohol all around the mouth, very fruity and tart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - JAN 30, 2003
(29Jan2003--12oz.bottle--2 vintage) What a cool brew! It's not a "barley wine" per se; if I had to classify it, I'd call it a double IPA or American Strong Ale or similar. Spongy, golden head, medium-sized, medium bubbles, lumpy, lacy, partially receding. Deep amber color, slightly hazy. Aromas of syrup and floral hops, though not over the top with either. Very malty, with some, but not too much residual sweetness. More of a spicy maltiness (cinnamon), not the thick "watermelon" I remember from most barley wines. Quite bitter, though commensurate with malt. Meaty, with a lovely, persistent effervescence to cut through the syrup and give a creamy mouthfeel. Light, but noticeable citrus/spruce, and quite yeasty. All-in-all, a complex, wonderful beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - JAN 29, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2003 Definate smell of hops (what American beers don't have it?) and it is noticable upon first taste. Unlike a strong IPA though, the sweety, malty taste of this ale really balances out the flavor. This is a beer that'll really warm you up, but despite its richness tastes surprisingly refreshing. Finishes off with hints of grapefruit (cascade hops probably) and a slighty bitter orange rind buzz on your tongue. Age this baby for best flavor.