overall

RATINGS: 3199   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopsing99 (8) - USA - JUL 6, 2002 does not count
This is the real deal. Like everything from Sierra Nevada it is pretty damn good. I prefer the IPA, but if youíre going to have just one beer with dinner this would be a pretty good choice. Only draw back is itís very-very heavy, almost like a bock.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MartinT (8247) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2014 A huge mountain to be climbed...All the way up, a plethora of delectables abound...Very bitter but delicious pine sap oozing everywhere...Berries and caramel burst and glare...From the distance, a smelly resin monster, from up close baccate malt and hop glory...(Extremely bitter when young, I prefer aging it a year or two to let the malt and hops reach the same level; and it ages absolutely wonderfully)...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 7, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2010 (1995 drank in 2004) Toffee and caramel, hops mutted byt still present. (1995 drank in 2002). This is 7.5 years old now. I believe that it spent its first 6 years in a cooler, (but who knows?). It sure looked like there was 6 years of cooler dust on it. Well, the last year at cellar temp has really matured this. I spent about half-an hour mixing the yeast up and letting get warmer. (Note: This has been the fridge for about a week) Poured in one big swoop motion, (and still not much head!) except for the bottom 1MM that was whipped up into a yeast-foam that dropped heavily into the beer and made cool looking patterns on its way through. A wine-like hoppiness meets the nose and it is a shock when drinking it, as it doesnít produce direct Cascade assault as a 2002 model, but rather ends bitter in a whole different/deeper matter. It is ready to give to a wine drinker and get a convert for our team (Go...Beer!) Iím not changing my score as very few of these are around and if you are drinking a new SNBF it will be much different. Anyway this is a 9/5/9/5/19. (2002) drank in 2002: Extreme bitter even when warm. Best wait a year before drinking. (2001 drank on 1/20/02): This brew rocks. After almost one year, this mellows out to an easy drinking barleywine. (2000 drank in 2001) If you canít get enough hops, youíll love this beer. I can find no fault with it, except that there is too much alcohol in it to enjoy it all night. (1995 drank in 2001) This is a completely different beer after almost seven years in the bottle. The evenly spaced bits of crud in it that where suspended without motion in the glass was a bit worrisome. However, after the first sip I never looked back. Most of the hops taste you would find in a new bottle is gone, and it tastes almost like a wine. A true world classic (wait until it is a few years old before drinking)! 2006 bottle rated 2010, cellar temp: Pours a cloudy dark orange with a long lasting rocky off-white head, aroma is of dark fruits, brown sugar and alcohol, starts and ends lightly bitter with a bitter-sweet aftertaste, oily mouthfeel, ample carbonation, tobacco ending. Ages awesome!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 5, 2002
2002 bottling. Pours little head, beautiful deep orange/mahogany color. Nose strongly grapefruity/hoppy; this is a barley wine? Oh, a YOUNG barley wine, I get it; on a further nosing I get pleasant sniffs of the plum/port variety I usually associate with higher ABV íbrowní beers; really grows on you. Flavor just about as wonderful; again you are hit right away with hoppy bitterness and citrus, but mull it on the tongue for a bit and its true deep malty spiciness comes through. Strong bitter-chocolate through the end, perhaps just a bit too much. This might be perfect in a year; as it is I canít complain too much. I should note that I accidentally FROZE this sucker solid a few nights ago and its right as rain at 55 degrees or so now. A hardy winter brew for a cool rainy night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wdfod99 (4) - Idaho, USA - JUL 6, 2002 does not count
The aroma seems typical but the intense bitterness sets this at the top for íhop headsí. Varies year to year but always a great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - JUN 24, 2002
This was my first Barley Wine and I am not quite sure what to make of it. The more I had the more I liked it. It has a definite alcohol presence which isnít surprising given itís percentage. Any fruitiness to seemed to be bullied out by the alcohol flavor. Not sure if I am Barley Wineís biggest new fan, but I havenít given up on it yet.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 18, 2002
2002: Wow, is this a good one. Certainly fruit in the aroma, hoppy bitterness followed by a bit of malt. Its balanced enough, but I think it could use just a bit more malt, maybe, to help relax it a bit. Long, very long finish.

kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Hmmm seems like most of my ratings show a definite trend towards the bigger beers.... I like the nice blend of malt with my favorite hoppy bitterness. Appearance is very pleasing as the deep red hues set you up for the complexity of the brew to follow. Well done even if the barlywine style is not my favorite. A definate keeper in the refridgerator for frequent revisits.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 3, 2002
2002: Brick red in color with a nice frothy head. This beerís smell is backed up by the taste. It leaves you with no surprises when you go to taste it after smelling it. It is a little too much for me to handle any more than one in a sitting. This is definitely a sipping beer. This is my second one that I have tried this year and I like it better each time. It has a wine like tracer when it hits the back of your mouth. It definitely warms my belly. Overall this is a pretty good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
eldiablito99 (5) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 28, 2002 does not count
The smell and appearance are gorgeous, at least in my light. A very very strong and hoppy beer. Of the few barley wine style beers I have actually had, I have to say one of the best. I highly recommend this beer to my hop-head friends.